Dieselization

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on my personal trucks I always pull the front clip when replacing motors. this not only makes working on things much easier but I also get to do a detailed examination of the whole front of the vehicle. on those semi's with the tilt fronts if they are doing major work up there they pull that tilt too. as far as gearing goes, what are you looking to convert, make, model, year? what engine are planning on going with? what's your rear end ratio? what size tires are you running or are planning to run? what engine do you have now and what's your mpg? highdesertranger

28c9f8be4f4d49549f168d61eb1c95fd.jpg

Ha ha, my new 2 gallon bread loaf oil pan arrived today! One more piece of the Kubota puzzle...

What I'm running now is a one ton extended Ford E with/351 gas/4spd auto OD.    Runs fine and I doubt it gets 20 mpg using OD. I'm thinking a Perkins or 5 cyl inline in the future with a lower numerical ratio rear axle.
I need to crawl under it and see if there is a plate on the diff that states the ratio.

It runs strong in 3rd with the OD switched off on the lower left dash.  When I go to OD is will miss
on grades.  I suspect  a bad plug wire or arc over somewhere.

I got a deal on this when I bought it....but it's like using a cannon to kill a rabbit for what I do with it.

It came with a raised roof similar to this.

TGL_WEB24inchFiberineTop.jpg

Van has no side windows. 

1990_ford_e-350_3_dr_xl_econoline_cargo_van_extended-pic-28776.jpeg

Loads of room in it.  I can stand up and walk from one end to the other.
If I wanted to set it up right I could probably live out of it and winter over
in the south.

well for simplicity sake I would go with a 7.3 precomputer. you could get parts anywhere, they are fords only good diesel(they are not fords but internationals), they are super reliable, and they get decent(not great) fuel economy. but hey if you want a perkins go for it and let us see the conversion and let us knowhow it goes. highdesertranger

02b04927fbc76044c6efa10655d074da.jpg

Time for a turbo adapter, using a k03 from a VW Passat, just waiting on the metal to make an adapter.

Diesel engines happen to be my favorite. My daily driver is an 85 w123 300TDT euro wagon, and My secondary is an 87 300D. The first has the om617 turbo Diesel the second has the OM603 turbo diesel. Both are fantastic engines. The Om617 is the original million mile engine. At 290k mine still like new. Plenty of people swap these engines into various platforms. In a well sorted out application you can expect 25+ mpg out of them. I had an 84 300D sedan that got 32mpg on a round trip from Chattanooga to Cincinnati.

The Om603 is the first "modern" diesel. Its a powerful engine and very dependable. It's still mechanical not computer controlled, which is nice for swaps. You want to stay away from ones with the original #14 heads, as they could crack easy due to over heating. The 87 w124 was a first in many things, and ushered in the modern car as we know it today. I average 30-32mpg with it.

There is a plethora of information on these both these engines over at the peachparts.com forum and on the superturbodiesel.com forum.

I also had a F350 4 door (crew) with a NA 7.3. I pulled a w123 sedan from Chattanooga to Michigan round trip with it and averaged 19mpg. Also a good engine, your not going to go fast with this one, but its was very dependable.

One thing to note, there is a learning curve moving from gas to diesel. Diesel parts are more $$$ and there are less people that can work on them. If you can learn how to do your own work all the better. The sites I shared above will be a huge help in this regard.

I loved my old NA 7.3 diesel. It never let me down! I rebuild a few mercs in my day, most notable being a 2005 320 CDI, one of the last inlines Mercedes sold. Common rails are easier to diagnose problems, but mechanical systems are far more reliable.

Finishing up my turbo mount prototype, after all the final trimmings are done, it will go to be reproduced in metal.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435037180.571081.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435037180.571081.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435037180.571081.jpg
    240.2 KB
I\ said:
Dieselization,  :)

An old Railroad term I hear when around Railroad Historical types.   It was a term to
describe the switching over from live steam locomotives to the diesels.   Or today
choosing to swap gasoline out and diesel in. 

As for fuel mileage,  yes I'd have to have that proven to me too.  But the 60 mpg Capri sure is enticing.

I understand that VW has a new high mileage Diesel Electric hybrid (XL100) that's been years in the making.
260 Mpg 2 seat  2 cyl Diesel turbo and 3 phase electric motor.

2014-Volkswagen-XR1-parked_zps3676cd64.jpg

Video

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/kengo_fudoshin/2014-Volkswagen-XR1-parked_zps3676cd64.jpg