Diabetic?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotSmart

Reaction score
:huh:

My greatest problem as a van dweller is access to quality health care.   

I am currently in one of the greatest educational centers of this country.  The medical care here is superior, but I am forced into a sticks and bricks to get it.  I hope to be on the road soon, but may take a little time off to build a van that is a better fit for my needs. 

It looks like I will need a complete kitchen to get away from packaged foods. 

Any products or tips for the diabetics on the road anyone?

Fortunately I am 'borderline diabetic', so only need the Metformin med, twice daily. I have a tester, so keep up on my blood sugar levels. Eating well and taking the med is all I need currently. If one needs the insulin shots, I would expect a small fridge would be a necessity, and the power to keep it running. Sine I do live in an S&B home at this time, no problems with the doctor. If I travel extensively, I will need to see how my current health plan would treat that. Some years yet before I can do Medicare.

GotSmart said:

I am currently in one of the greatest educational centers of this country.  The medical care here is superior, but I am forced into a sticks and bricks to get it.  I hope to be on the road soon, but may take a little time off to build a van that is a better fit for my needs. 

Unhealthy eating habits of the population in general drive me crazy and I tend to get riled about it so here comes the soapbox...you've been warned.... :D :D :p

I'm not diabetic but it has a familial pattern so I'm doing everything I can to prevent becoming diabetic and I've been through all the diabetes information classes with mom. Apparently I learn better than she does because she continues to violate every 'rule' of good eating.

Yes, if you want to eat healthy on the road you will need to have a 'complete kitchen' and avoid packaged foods. The kitchen doesn't have to be large to be complete. There are lots of healthy meals that can be made on a single burner but things like a 12v crockpot will come in handy. 

I'm putting in 2 compressor fridge units so that one can be used for a freezer and one as a fridge. The RV style fridges have woefully small freezers in them. I know me well enough to know that a decent sized freezer is something I can't live without. This will allow me to stockpile enough fresh food to last more than a week so I don't have to waste gas running to town to shop every few days but then I like to camp at the end of the road... :)

The first tip is that basically anything that comes in a box is more likely than not to be bad for your diet. Cooking from scratch is not that hard to do once you've learned a few simple techniques.

The second is to take all the diabetic nutritionist information you can get your hands on and learn it well. It's like quitting smoking in a lot of ways, it's up to you to make the decision to eat healthy.

I have lots more tips but your eyes are probably already rolling into the back of your head... :D

Do the doctors suggest that you're going to be able to control your diabetes with serious diet or are you already past that stage?

Oh, and Lee, if you're just borderline diabetic, IIWM, I'd be trying really, really hard to get off that Metformin and control your b/s with just diet. Every drug has side effects.

If it comes in a box, or through a window.~~~

My current logistical problem is that I have a short van, (7.5 foot from the back door to the back of the front seat) and 15 bags and boxes of specialty tools. That does not leave much room for living. This is not counting my cabinet, closet and shelves. No room for a fridge wih this van.

With the current situation in health care, I have a long wait to see a provider. One month wait to see a primary care physician.

I guess I need to download a list of things to avoid. (All my favorite foods) In Blyth they were extremely proud of there fresh produce and meats.

Any favorite websites for diabetic information?

GotSmart said:

My current logistical problem is that I have a short van, (7.5 foot from the back door to the back of the front seat) and 15 bags and boxes of specialty tools.   That does not leave much room for living. This is not counting my cabinet, closet and shelves.  No room for a fridge wih this van.

With the current situation in health care, I have a long wait to see a provider.  One month wait to see a primary care physician.

I guess I need to download a list of things to avoid.  (All my favorite foods)  In Blyth they were extremely proud of there fresh produce and meats.  

I totally forgot the window... :rolleyes:

That's because I have a B.E.L.T. breakfast sandwich from Timmies about 1ce a month. I can't remember the last time I ate at or from any other fast food joint. Fast food isn't even on my furthest horizon!

It sounds like you're going to have to choose between your tool collection or your health. My vote is for health.

Of course you could look at a small CT to hold all your tools and then you'd have living space.

I have no favorites but here's a fairly good one to get you started.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/

The most important things to remember is that carbs count, sugar and sodium count and controlling weight and getting exercise will go a long, long way to improving your health.

Some very determined individuals control Type 2 diabetes without drugs at all. And eat very well because of it... :)

You might not have to avoid all your favorite foods, there may be healthier versions of them available or you might not be able to have them as frequently - it all depends on what they were.

Think of it not like a death sentence but an adventure that will let you keep on having adventures for a long while to come!

Almost There said:
Unhealthy eating habits of the population in general drive me crazy and I tend to get riled about it so here comes the soapbox...you've been warned.... :D :D :p

I'm not diabetic but it has a familial pattern so I'm doing everything I can to prevent becoming diabetic and I've been through all the diabetes information classes with mom. Apparently I learn better than she does because she continues to violate every 'rule' of good eating.

Yes, if you want to eat healthy on the road you will need to have a 'complete kitchen' and avoid packaged foods. The kitchen doesn't have to be large to be complete. There are lots of healthy meals that can be made on a single burner but things like a 12v crockpot will come in handy. 

I'm putting in 2 compressor fridge units so that one can be used for a freezer and one as a fridge. The RV style fridges have woefully small freezers in them. I know me well enough to know that a decent sized freezer is something I can't live without. This will allow me to stockpile enough fresh food to last more than a week so I don't have to waste gas running to town to shop every few days but then I like to camp at the end of the road... :)

The first tip is that basically anything that comes in a box is more likely than not to be bad for your diet. Cooking from scratch is not that hard to do once you've learned a few simple techniques.

The second is to take all the diabetic nutritionist information you can get your hands on and learn it well. It's like quitting smoking in a lot of ways, it's up to you to make the decision to eat healthy.

I have lots more tips but your eyes are probably already rolling into the back of your head... :D

Do the doctors suggest that you're going to be able to control your diabetes with serious diet or are you already past that stage?

Oh, and Lee, if you're just borderline diabetic, IIWM, I'd be trying really, really hard to get off that Metformin and control your b/s with just diet. Every drug has side effects.

Crockpot is a great idea! I know there are dozens of crockpot recipe books out there. When I had to live in a tent while also working and going to full school time, I only had a single hotplate for cooking, and managed alright. One trick is to make things that can be cooked together, like beans and rice, or eggs and potatoes. I'd cook some O'Briens potatoes in a frying pan, then add the egg to it with a little salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of cheese, serve with salsa. With beans and rice, you can add a little meat if you're a meat eater, or throw in some veggies and chopped onions, serve with diced tomatoes on top. Even though I have a full kitchen in the motor home, I frequently mix all my food together anyway to save propane.

Type 2 diabetic since 2003 .I'm fortunate :-/  to be on SSDI so I am already on Medicare and  my diabetic meds are very cheap and testing supplies,syringes are free or very low cost.That being said I use Walmarts pharmacy so anywhere I am I can get refills as their pharmacys are linked.I discovered about 3 years ago that Regular ,NPH,and 70/30 insulins can be purchased without a prescription there and their brand is only $24.00 a bottle.Cheapest you can get anywhere.Keep a medical alert tag on your rearview mirror and have Glucose tabs or candy of some sort in reach and be aware of how you feel when your sugar gets high or low.Keep a red folder with your latest lab results ,a medication sheet and a copy of your most recent doctors visit with emergency phone numbers in your glove box  ,sun visor etc. As for foods stay away from white foods ;bread,potatoes,rice.Stick with whole grain bread ,pasta etc. Learn to read the nutrition labels and get a carb counting list to refer to.Exersize will help keep your sugars under control also. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies and protein and I try to get a lot of fiber also.Don't forget to drink plenty of water. I would keep a small icechest with frozen ice packs to store my insulin in.Good Grief this post is so disorganized but I hope you can find something helpful in it. :shy:

The other nice thing about a crockpot is that it can be cooking dinner while you're driving down the road.

In the RV, set it in the sink. In a van, pack it in a box and put it somewhere where it won't shift around on the corners... :D

As a long time single, my most frequent meal choices involve 1 pot of some kind, stir fry, crock pot, casseroles etc. I have a whole repertoire of easy meals. Since it's often impossible to make good things in single serving sizes, I batch cook and then freeze. Another reason why I need both a fridge and a freezer on the road. Which reminds me, I need to go get some spaghetti sauce out of the freezer for tonights' dinner.. :)

GotSmart said:

If you're on insulin, switch to the insulin pens, as they do not require refrigeration, and they are SUPER easy to use. Of course, there might be a prohibitive cost difference. I am only the caregiver, not the purchaser, so I don't know costs...

The 12v crockpot was next on my list of appliances. Around $30 at any truckstop. Then one more solar panel, and the fridge.

The tools? Not going to get rid of them. I will build a larger van. I have jobs lined up that will finance my lifestyle if I can get my health back on track.

Now to figure out how to finance this.

gramakittycat said:
Type 2 diabetic since 2003 .I'm fortunate :-/  to be on SSDI so I am already on Medicare and  my diabetic meds are very cheap and testing supplies,syringes are free or very low cost.That being said I use Walmarts pharmacy so anywhere I am I can get refills as their pharmacys are linked.I discovered about 3 years ago that Regular ,NPH,and 70/30 insulins can be purchased without a prescription there and their brand is only $24.00 a bottle.Cheapest you can get anywhere.Keep a medical alert tag on your rearview mirror and have Glucose tabs or candy of some sort in reach and be aware of how you feel when your sugar gets high or low.Keep a red folder with your latest lab results ,a medication sheet and a copy of your most recent doctors visit with emergency phone numbers in your glove box  ,sun visor etc. As for foods stay away from white foods ;bread,potatoes,rice.Stick with whole grain bread ,pasta etc. Learn to read the nutrition labels and get a carb counting list to refer to.Exersize will help keep your sugars under control also. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies and protein and I try to get a lot of fiber also.Don't forget to drink plenty of water. I would keep a small icechest with frozen ice packs to store my insulin in.Good Grief this post is so disorganized but I hope you can find something helpful in it. :shy:

Grammakittycat,
Did not know insulin was available over the counter.  Which state did you find this?  As a type one diabetic, I have to agree with your comment 100%

LeeRevell,
Do not stop taking the metformin!  This is a very good drug if you can overcome the upset belly (usually for less than a month).  It has many positives for it.  It appears to be somewhat of an anti-aging drug.  Reversing aging in the liver, weight loss, and protecting against cancers.  I am a type 1 diabetic and I take it so I don't use as much insulin.

About not storing insulin in the fridge... I still keep the pens in the fridge.  Heat breaks down insulin.  I have personally tested Humalog that was 5 years past the expiration date but kept in the fridge the whole time and it worked fine.  I keep insulin in the fridge at all times and use it until it was empty (the fast acting insulin would last me 2-3 months).

The most important thing a diabetic can do is use their meter!  Test before eating, then 2 hours later to see how that food effects you.  Every diabetic will react to food a little differently. After a while a diabetic will know how certain foods will effect them and they will not have to test as often.

Almost There said:

I am comfortable with my current state of affairs, though I am working on reducing weight.  That is my biggest problem at this time.  No problem with that particular med.

I checked a couple of web sites and Regular,NPH and 70/30 is over the counter in all states but Alaska and at Walmart and Sams club.Their insulin brand is Relion  and is cheaper at 24.88 a vial than what I would pay if I got it thru my insurance.( $90.00 a vial!)

I had my elderly mother switch her pharmacy from Wally's to the same Publix grocery store I use, which is also very close to her home, vs. across town for the Wally's she used (it was Dad's choice, he is gone now). Many of her meds dropped a good bit in price, though she has the same medical plan. One of my meds is free from Publix (Lysinopril for BP) and my Metformin is less than five bucks a month. No complaints. Friendly folks there too, who know us by name. Being close enough for Mom to drive herself if needs be is a bonus. She is okay on short drives but is not comfortable with longer drives - she is 79 and still mentally very alert.

The biggest difference between the pharmacy's are the lines.

GotSmart said:

I read every page on http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

She advocates a low carb diet. 

That's more or less how I eat now even while traveling. A hamburger with no bun on a salad is a great meal for me. Totally satisfying. 

I have lost over 60 pounds eating this way. High protein high fat low carb. 

Also try to keep the fats high omega 3 and low omega 6. This means minimal seed oils. Seed oils are sunflower cottonseed soy safflower etc. 

Eat pastured butter and beef, olive oil, coconut oil, wild caught oily fishes. 

Safeway will have grass fed beef. Even better is to get it from a farmer. There are sources all over the west. 

towhee said:
I have lost over 60 pounds eating this way. High protein high fat low carb.  
Wow towhee, it's pretty hard for me to imagine you with another 60 pounds. Very impressive!

Thanks for that link!
Bob