Diabetic?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due to unreasonable moderation and personal health problems; I will back out of this forum for now.

People can send me an email if they wish to contact me.

I desperately need to keep my blood pressure low, so no politics of any kind.

CTP said:
About not storing insulin in the fridge... I still keep the pens in the fridge.  Heat breaks down insulin.  I have personally tested Humalog that was 5 years past the expiration date but kept in the fridge the whole time and it worked fine.  I keep insulin in the fridge at all times and use it until it was empty (the fast acting insulin would last me 2-3 months).

The most important thing a diabetic can do is use their meter!  Test before eating, then 2 hours later to see how that food effects you.  Every diabetic will react to food a little differently. After a while a diabetic will know how certain foods will effect them and they will not have to test as often.

I use Levemir Flex Touch pens along with Metformin.  The pens do need to be stored in a refrigerator.  Once removed from cold storage they are good for about 5 weeks until the insulin starts breaking down (per the included instructions).

Gregg

Nana4Twins said:
Crockpot is a great idea!  I know there are dozens of crockpot recipe books out there.  When I had to live in a tent while also working and going to full school time, I only had a single hotplate for cooking, and managed alright.  One trick is to make things that can be cooked together, like beans and rice, or eggs and potatoes.  I'd cook some O'Briens potatoes in a frying pan, then add the egg to it with a little salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of cheese, serve with salsa.   With beans and rice, you can add a little meat if you're a meat eater, or throw in some veggies and chopped onions, serve with diced tomatoes on top.  Even though I have a full kitchen in the motor home, I frequently mix all my food together anyway to save propane.

Good grief!

If you are diabetic, beans, rice, and potatoes shouldn't be in your vocabulary!

Cooking destroys most of the nutritional value of food, so eating whole foods is the best way to go. Goat's cheese w/flax seed oil and a half a cup of blueberries is a great way to start the day, and you can keep the cheese fresh in a cooler - the flax seed oil too.

Eggs are great any way you cook them, but you'll either need a hot plate, stove, or a campfire.

Salad is also good, but not many calories in a varied lettuce salad (the kind that comes in a bag). I add olives and picked onions to mine.

There is no safe amount of trans fat, so stay away from that, and try to keep your carbs to 30 grams a day.

If you eat meat then chicken and fish are best, and if you like fishing, so much the better. It's easy to gut, stuff, and bake a trout or two in the embers of a campfire. (You'll need some aluminum foil.)

I had a serious A-fib episode a year ago, and until then I controlled my type 2 diabetes with just good food and exercise, but the meds (Metoprolol) I'm taking for A-fib and PAT doubled my BG overnight - literally. I know how to cure my heart, but it takes a while (can take a couple of years) to detox and heal, so I'm having fun (NOT) with my not-so-great numbers right now. Prior to last May, my A1c hovered around 5.1 - 5.4. I imagine it's around 7 at the moment, but I'm 'Beautifully healthy' otherwise, to quote my doc.

You're going to need a fridge or large cooler to eat properly and keep your body well. A great book on healing diabetes is How to Cue Diabetes by Sherry A.Rogers MD ND. I can't treat you long distance, but you can heal yourself (not merely control the problem) by yourself if you're willing to learn a little about molecular biochemistry. I recommend that book to every diabetic I know who I can't see personally.

Good health to you!

Jesse.