Dental Costs in Mexico?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshotveth

Reaction score
So I've heard that going to Mexico you can save money on dental and prescriptions.

Can anyone give concrete numbers on costs of stuff like cleanings, cost here versus there, and numbers on prescriptions.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Cleaning, filling four cavities and a partial $1100.

Three crowns, a root canal and a cleaning for  about $950.00.

that is is a substantial savings as dentist in the US want about 2K for one root canal and one crown.

Yeah a root canal alone can run at or near $1,000 in the U.S., from my memory, and crowns run get into the $250-500 range depending on what they're made of.

The U.S. is full of introductory cleanings and x-rays for $99, if you look around. The next go-round will be at the normal price and they will force you to get x-rays whether you want or need them or not, at least once per year, so you might be looking at $200 or more for a simple cleaning after your first time.

I had a complicated extraction. I was quoted $3k in the USA. The oral surgeon said I had to be in the hospital and under sedation and that he would surgically chip out the tooth. The dentist in Mexico removed it for $100 in about 10 minutes in one piece. No chipping and no sedation, just a local. I bought antibiotics at the Mexican pharmacy and that set me back $6. This was a year ago. It has healed just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X rays are done now by computer, in Mexico they x rayed (term) my tooth and the dentist and I looked on screen at the same time. No cost.  Stateside, hundreds. Crown came off in Colorado, dentist quoted $1400. Waited to get to Al Godones Mex. $230. Stateside 10 to 12 days. Mex. same day. Drs. and Dentists stateside go to seminars to learn how to increase (pad) bills. Unfortunately medicine in this country is an industry preying on its customers.

Have had all my dental work done in TJ for the past 20 years. The savings is massive. In Tijuana some of the dentists also practice in San Diego, with one rate for the US side and another one in TJ. First time I went, I had won a self-publishing package in a writing contest. Bartered it with the dentist for totally free treatment.

Los Algodones, had 2 extractions and 3 fillings on our son 2 years ago, local anasthetic and a follow up the next morning, $275. Picked up a z-pak at the pharmacy for $8. no problems minimal pain, great work and service.
Close friend had upper and lower dentures made took 2 days for $500. He was happy.

I'd like to know more about this.  I need full uppers and lowers and extractions.  I'm wondering how long that would take, cost (especially with all the extractions) and recovery time.

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } A:link { so-language: zxx } -->
I've not been but will soon, fwiw, here's a couple of articles I've saved by experienced travelers. And a phone call to the dentist might give you some idea of cost and time, as well give you some impression/intuition about the person you speak with.
https://roadslesstraveled.us/mexican-dentists-finding-affordable-dental-care-in-mexico/

The other: Google: < mobilecodgers.blogspot.com The Best Dentist in Mexico >
March, 2019.

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } A:link { so-language: zxx } -->
I've not been but will soon, fwiw, here's a couple of articles I've saved by experienced travelers. A phone call to the dentist might give you an idea of cost and time, as well give you some impression/intuition about the person you speak with.
https://roadslesstraveled.us/mexican-dentists-finding-affordable-dental-care-in-mexico/

The other: Google: < mobilecodgers.blogspot.com The Best Dentist in Mexico >
March, 2019.

I have heard that Dr Carlos will do 3 crowns for $900. Dr Nancy is said to be great but I do not know her prices. Both are in Algodones.
-crofter