Buying Prescription Drugs in Mexico.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingMobile

Reaction score
I know people here travel across the border for dental work. Do some also buy prescription drugs from pharmacies in Mexico?

Do you need a written prescription from a doctor either to purchase at the pharmacy or to bring the prescription drugs back into the U.S. ?
Is there a limit to the amount of supply you can purchase at one trip?

Thanks, I'm considering quiting my job in January. My employer won't allow me to teach online anymore, and I'll be forced to be in a small poorly ventilated classroom with unvaccinated students. With Diabetes and a blood clotting disorder I'm not comfortable with this. Of course my health insurance is provided through my employer and I don't think I will be able to afford health insurance at age 64 on my own. So I need to find a way to get through one year without health insurance or doctor visits until I turn 65 and qualify for Medicare. I have 5 prescriptions that would be quite expensive without insurance.

Here's some limited info to get you started. With luck, someone more experienced will weigh in soon.

The FDA web page on "personal importation": https://www.fda.gov/industry/import-basics/personal-importation
The Customs and Border Protection web page on the same (scroll down to "medication"): https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/prohibited-and-restricted-items#tab17

You might want to search the forums -- I have a dim memory of seeing it discussed here before, and might even have gotten much of this information here (if so, hat tip to whoever posted it originally).

And here's an NPR article on the topic from 2019: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/02/11/691467587/americans-seek-cheaper-meds-in-mexico. But keep in mind a lot could have changed since then, due to Covid and the ever-morphing cartel situation.

My impression -- just from general chitchat from border-living people, I haven't tried it yet myself -- is that there are legitimate, very helpful businesses geared to exactly what you're looking for (and probably also some rip-off joints selling counterfeits). I think (hearsay only) that with many drugs you need a prescription for in the US, you don't need a prescription in Mexico (don't know if vice versa is also true). And that it would make a difference whether you're bringing back large amounts or only a month's supply at a time, and whether any of your meds are controlled substances.

Hopefully someone who knows more will speak up soon. I do think this might be a viable solution for you -- btw, sorry about the bad situation that's leaving you with this tough choice! -- but there are a lot of "if"s and it will need some research and planning. Good luck!

You can call the purple pharmacy in Algodones and they will give you prices.

Only trouble you would have is for narcotics.

Can't you do COBRA for a year to continue your insurance?

I know that can be pretty expensive but if you could find some other kind of employment for a year, you might be able to swing it.

if you are quitting your job, even with unemployment possible, see what it would take to apply for Medicaid in your state. It's a hassle, but if you check with your local county agency on aging, they may be able to refer you to resources that can help for free to get through it. Also approach your local library's research librarian (greatest untapped resource in America) for help finding resources (for free)

If you're houseless and have an RV of some kind to live in,  why don't you consider becoming an "Expatriate" and living in Mexico for a year.   "Expatriate" is part of our Tax Law where anyone moving to another country to work or retire goes thru some paperwork and will be set up.  In this way you could have access to medical services in Mexico while living there for a year. You would have 30 days a year that you could come back into the USA in this process.  It could be for one day or numerous days or the whole month. There are areas in Mexico where there are what some call "American Camps" for snow birds and Expat's.

There are many Teachers who do this and you could teach remotely online if you are where you can get a broadband connection. (soon Tesla will introduce "Star Link" a Cell Phone that works with satellite connection instead of tower.....called a Sat Phone)  So your Cell could be a WIFI hot spot.

Check out these message boards:

American Citizens Abroad
https://www.americansabroad.org/
https://www.americansabroad.org/Escape Artist Forum

I got Metformin and Gabapentin in Mexico with no prescription, no hassles. Those are relatively cheap meds to begin with, so my savings weren't huge, but you can save quite a bit on meds that are more expensive in the US.

All the border towns/cities have farmacias that cater to US customers.

Thanks for the replies. So it seems like I can buy prescriptions there and would not need a current written prescription. From what I am able to understand it would be limited to a 3 month supply at each crossing of the border. I found a video Bob made (a few years ago) where he did that.

Expatriate? Hadn't thought of that. I like the term, sounds romantic, Ernest Hemingway in Paris, Spain sort of thing. My sister owns some property in Baja on a beach which is mostly Americans into action sports such as kite surfing. Although it is unbearably hot in summer and has a hurricane season late summer and fall. There are other parts of Mexico at higher elevations that could be suitable for that time of year.

As far as teaching online, the university is in Mississippi, with a very conservative Christian political climate, which translates into anti-vax and anti-masking pressure on the administration from the larger donors, a worry parents will stop sending their children to the college if any mandates are imposed, and very spotty protective measures for faculty, including not having the option to teach online any more. I teach drawing, painting and design studio art classes which are difficult to carry off online and get the same learning outcomes as in person. I've been doing that for a year and a half but they won't allow me to continue.

And then anything involving health care is a bit more difficult in a state such as Mississippi. No Medicaid expansion from the state, and if I need care the hospitals are all full with unvaccinated COVID cases without much resources available for other healthcare needs.  However I have been working remotely from California, which despite the ridiculous cost of housing is in many other ways more accommodating to people with lower incomes and providing access to healthcare.

My van build is almost finished, or at least close enough to live in at this point. Thinking of looking for just a job, with some benefits, perhaps Costco? Big open warehouse space, in California more people are vaccinated, they are required to wear masks. Seems safer than being in an small poorly ventilated space with unvaccinated students who are not keen on wearing masks. January 2023 I will qualify for Medicare. Although I would like to wait a year to start Social Security to have a higher monthly amount. Trying to sort through options to find a suitable path forward.

The meds that you can bring back into the US have to be generic.

You will need to know the generic name of the drugs. Use only the generic names when asked "what are you bringing back into the US?" The US custom agents have never asked me to see a scrip.

Brand name meds, that are covered by current patents, cannot be brought back into the US.

Los Algodones has several reputable pharmacies, the ones closest to the border crossing are more expensive. They all sell the same generic products.

I'm sure that if you get on some of the Expat message boards you'll find others in your line of teaching.  If you go outside the USA and get away from the "pressures" you've been under with the school you have been associated with that you'll begin to feel healthier.  I would feel depressed if I had to teach in that same situation,  and depression isn't good for one's health to begin with.

You might consider camp-hosting, work-camping, etc. If you can show up at the big RV Tent Show in Quartzsite this coming January, you might find a job there, lots of companies have seasonal openings all over the country. 

Keep in mind that with minimal income and/or a change in job status you should end up being eligible for ACA (commonly called obamacare)

You will have to go thru the application process on healthcare.gov and then you will pick a plan that you are eligible for. 

Like you I have been in the 'gap' between employer insurance and then no insurance until I am 65...so I filled that gap with some decent (but not great) insurance thru the ACA plans.

Good luck!

wayne49 said:
The meds that you can bring back into the US have to be generic.

Do you have any links referencing that? I’m pretty sure I’ve brought name brand back.

Bringing generic works just fine as long as it is in the right bottle with a label, I bought a bunch back last spring. Just like in the US the less expensive is the generic versions. Of course some medications might not be available just yet as a generic. The customs agent never even looked in the bag, just cared about any liquor and cigarettes. But there can always be a time when they do want to take a look.

I know people here travel across the border for dental work. Do some also buy prescription drugs from pharmacies in Mexico?

Do you need a written prescription from a doctor either to purchase at the pharmacy or to bring the prescription drugs back into the U.S. ?
Is there a limit to the amount of supply you can purchase at one trip?

Thanks, I'm considering quiting my job in January. My employer won't allow me to teach online anymore, and I'll be forced to be in a small poorly ventilated classroom with unvaccinated students. With Diabetes and a blood clotting disorder I'm not comfortable with this. Of course my health insurance is provided through my employer and I don't think I will be able to afford health insurance at age 64 on my own. So I need to find a way to get through one year without health insurance or doctor visits until I turn 65 and qualify for Medicare. I have 5 prescriptions that would be quite expensive without insurance.
I live in Tombstone, and go south now and then about 50 miles to little Naco, west of Agua Prieta. Several pharmacies, very low prices, a nice small town. And no problems going across or coming back. But! DO NOT bring a gun or ammunition into Mexico. The Mexican border police will probably look for guns as you cross. Similarly, DO NOT bring back any narcotics or illegal street drugs into the USA. And you are supposed to have a passport or passport card... but your driver's license will get you back in, particularly if it has the new security star on it.

bob wells just did a video on his youtube channel covering this exact topic