Deka vs Trojan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRRNeiklot

Reaction score
The Sams Club Duracell AGM gc2s are currently $179 + tax, so about $392 for a pair..  I can get Trojan T-105 AGMs for $240, so, 480, out the door.  I'd like to spend as little as possible, but if the Trojans are just that much better, I'll bite the bullet and get those.  Which should I purchase?

Thanks.

Also, if I understand correctly, I will periodically need a high amperage source for charging AGM batteries. I will have 300 - maybe 400 watts of solar, will that be sufficient? What are my alternatives?

Thanks.

dang AGM's are expensive. I can't help you with the batteries, others will chime in. for solar the general consensus is 1 watt of solar per amp hour of battery is considered a minimum, more is better for cloudy days. do you have another charge source? highdesertranger

The GC-2's are FLA batteries meaning you will have to monitor the acid levels and add distilled water when they get low. These are also the ones that like a high voltage jolt to help loosen sulfates off the plates (called equalization). AGM's are pretty much put 'em in and forget. You will have to make sure your charging profile on the solar charge controller is configured for the batteries you choose. Different manufacturers have different spec's for charging.

If you have figured out what you consumption is going to be (called an energy audit), you will then know how much battery you need. I highly recommend a shunt based controller so you can monitor how much power is going in and how much you are drawing out. Never take your batteries below 50% capacity.

Most people murder their first set of batteries and only then figure out how to take care of them.

I have been using a Duracell for the past 6 years and it is the best battery I have ever owned. I am not a fulltimer though. I also have not owned a Trojan. FWIW

The Duracell / Deka GCs that are fantastic quality and value are the flooded ones.

The AGMs are not very good, many would say not even true deep cycling.

Trojan in general make great products, but their AGM line will take another 5-8 years to say how good they are.

The good AGM brands are Lifeline & Odyssey, then Northstar.

Much more expensive and not as robust nor as long-lived as flooded.

So you think I should pull the trigger on the Trojans? I have to have AGMs due to location.

JRRNeiklot said:
So you think I should pull the trigger on the Trojans?  I have to have AGMs due to location.

I here good things about Crown Battery. U.S. company and better than Trojan. Great customer service. A bit pricey but worth looking into.

Along with Deka and Trojan,

Crown, US Battery, Superior and at the top Rolls Surrette

are the quality **FLA** makers for NA.

The known-good AGM ones listed above, that's the way to go if location requires AGM.

Between Deka and Trojan only for AGM? But why?

Deka is known bad, so roll the dice with Trojan if you must, but do see if there's a supplier of any of those other three first, even if priced 30% more, it's worth it IMO.

Those are what I can get locally. I may have a line on Crowns as well. Waiting on a callback.

It is a lot of money, but cheaper than two 6 volts. Cheapest I can find anything is around $289 each. And it's my understanding that it's a bad idea to replace only one battery, unless it's very early in the lifespan of the bank.

Any batt that weighs less per AH, something is wrong, heavy weight is a good indicator of quality.

Again, Crown is known-good for FLA, but afaik completely unknown track record for AGM. Maybe more trustworthy than Trojan, more of a family business, but still a pretty big unknown.

Have you called Enersys/Odyssey for a local dealer? Then Lifeline, then Northstar.

Group 31 is a good size for 12V, but 6V will make things more manageable.

Going to LFP is the only way to save weight if you need the AH storage, but 5-7x the price and totally different protocols for proper care to get longevity.

I looked at Odyssey. All I see is dual purpose batteries. I did call a couple places to ask about Lifeline batteries. Still waiting on a callback. I'm supposed to hear from a guy tomorrow on Crown or Trojan 6 volts. If his price isn't right, I think I'll go with that 12 volt crown I linked above, unless someone recommends me to steer clear.

JRRNeiklot said:
I looked at Odyssey. All I see is dual purpose batteries.

Unlike with the 99.99% of lying cheating vendors out there, when Enersys says dual use, it means the product has a longer cycle lifespan and is better at deep cycling than nearly every other AGM in the world.

PC-2150 is a great example, care for it properly can last 6-8 years easy before SoH drops to 70-80%, and most people keep pushing usage after that point.

In case I was not clear, I am recommending avoiding buying any AGM except from one of those three vendors.

But your rig, your money.

JRR....

I was going to start a new thread on Deka vs Trojan but I'm going flooded lead acid. Do you have a Batteries Plus within a reasonable drive? I'll wait until I hear back before I go into detail.

I get Trojans for 50 bucks each, any big city with a lot of big buildings need to use batteries to power the emergency stairway lighting, code (here in SF) is every 2 years
swap em out, many only tested and fully charged. 2 years ago in Q I bought 2 CROWN branded for $220 Pr 6 volts. Seek and ye shall find.