Decision Time: Class B E250 Camper Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm about to jump into the auction for a Class B camper van and I'm looking for some feedback. I'm okay with what I'm getting into (van's age, condition, work required, etc). I even have the $$ limit of what I'm willing to bid given the amount of effort required. The van is old but the mileage is incredibly low (verified through Carfax, situation and inspection) and the body is in very good shape. Sometime soon this will be my home for the foreseeable future. I stopped working on my cargo van conversion (not enough room) and have given up on skoolies (too expensive and too much work) and step vans (just not that available and pricey). It's just me and my dog so I'm pretty sure I can handle the space.

So what I'm lacking is the final push from the voice of experience, one way or another. If you are currently or had been a nomad in a class B, what are your experiences and thoughts?

Thanks! - Rick

I always say size of your house depends on the kind of person you are:

1) Indoor person. You spend most of your time indoors, and like to look out at the crazy wind or rain happening. Get the largest space you are comfortable with. Think Fifth Wheel, Trailer, Class A, etc.

2) Outdoor person. You spend your time outside, and are inside only to sleep. Get a van or class B and have fun! Treat the space as basically your bedroom and spend your time outside.

What type you are, I can't guess at, but if your cargo van is to small, your class B won't be much if any bigger....

That said, I know many people with dogs who rock their class B's just fine.

While I'm not a full-timer, I do spend a lot of extensive time in my class-B with my dog.  This past year I spent about 1/2 in my RV and 1/2 in my sticks and bricks home. 

I have a Travato 59K (21 ft) which is built on a Ram Promaster chassis.  Prior to the travato, I was car camping in my Prius, so the Travato seems quite large in comparison.  Before that I had a 37 foot class-A

In today's world it can be fairly easy to be nomadic in a small space.  I switched all of my computer needs to my iPad.  I have a keyboard that I can use with my iPad, which makes it easier to type on.  The iPad provides my library, entertainment, email, newspaper,  communication, banking, etc. functionality.  By focusing on my iPad, I not only reduce the space required for my computing needs, but also significantly reduce the power needs to recharge. 

In your case, if you are looking at an older rig, then you might have older devices - and those can require more resources.  In my case most of my devices run on 12-volt DC so I really don't require an inverter.  I do have an onboard generator which I can use to help recharge my batteries and power my microwave. My fridge is 12-volt compressor, my TV is also 12-volt, and all of my lighting is LED.  With an older rig, you might have to install solar - don't know.  But in any case, evaluation of the power system would be one of my first concerns.  

Concerning size - my rig has a fairly open floor plan.  The wet-bath is in the rear which means I have a bit more space in my living area.  Most class-B rigs have a side wet-bath, but for me that seemed to make things a bit too cramped.  My rig did not have enough insulation initially, but I have added a significant amount so it's now quite warm in the cold nights.  I took my rig up to Alaska this past year and made a side trip to Tuktoyaktuk, North West Territory - on the Arctic Ocean.  On my return trip I ran into a heavy snow storm where the overnight high was in the 20s.  Yet I was comfortable inside my rig and slept cozy. 

I like my class-B and think that I would be comfortable in it if I were to go full-time.

My wife and I have a Roadtrek 200 (B+) that worked well for us before she couldn't travel anymore. Works great for me now the few times I have been able to take it out. A lot of storage that most don't get so I carry way to much stuff. As above, most time was spent outdoors except for the basics, sleeping, cooking, eating, showers and such. Rainy days she had the back with the bed, tv and big windows and I had the front. Great to be able to walk around standing up and the awning is a big plus. The old days of walking on our knees in a regular van are way past. We did that when we were a LOT younger.

I am more of an outdoor person and the mobility of a class B would seem to make it easier to follow the sun.

Headroom and cost are the other main considerations and although the storage space in a class B isn't the greatest for fulltime living, it's kinda what I can comfortably afford at the moment.

And it's good to know people with dogs are rockin it in the "B" world! [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

mpruet said:
While I'm not a full-timer, I do spend a lot of extensive time in my class-B with my dog.  This past year I spent about 1/2 in my RV and 1/2 in my sticks and bricks home...

...In your case, if you are looking at an older rig...

Great info! The van I am going after is a 1990 with an Onan 2.8 gen and shore power hookup. My plans definitely include solar so I think I'd be okay. It's 19ft and includes a loo and shower (along with propane stovetop, heater, fridge and microwave).

The interior needs an overhaul to bring it out of the 90s and the AWAC antenna would have to go.

As far as storage goes an adjustment to minimalist living is a must but I'm looking forward to it!

B and C said:
The old days of walking on our knees in a regular van are way past. We did that when we were a LOT younger.

I'm with you on that! [emoji846]

The van also has an awning and rainy days will happen. I don't plan on staying anywhere near snow for long periods of time so that would be manageable.

I'm getting great feedback and I really appreciate it!