Decided on going the van nomad way

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalartist

Reaction score
I’m really glad I joined this group.  When I first came here I had pretty much decided I was going to go with a custom e-bike set up with a cargo trailer. The more I looked at what others were doing and the question I put forth which were answered immediately and by many has changed how I will be living my nomad life. I’m going with a van.  It makes a lot of sense with what I want to do. I’ll still have my e-bike for recreation.  Storing all my jewelry tools in the van will also be a big plus and I’ll set up my work bench in the van so I can work all year round.  The van also makes sense for when I want to do renaissance fairs across the country.  I do need to relocate to a different state to get cheaper insurance as here in Colorado it’s way to expensive. I will look around to find the best state that will work for me. Anyways I appreciate the help and encouragement here.  Now I just have to save up for everything I need and get my jewelry business up and running again.

I really liked the creativity of your first idea, but also think this is a good way to go so you can concentrate on your art and not daily troubleshooting of living out of a bike set-up!

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I was wondering how you would safely keep/haul everything with an Ebike. You can always trek out from your home base van on the Ebike.

Great decision, bet ya feel 'settled' now knowing what you do want.

Plus, if your van opens in the back with doors, you can buy a 'car tent' and attach it to the back for an extra room, could be your metal art room to work and enjoy your craft!! There are many tents to attach to vans for another room so that might float your boat if needed too.

Opens up many options for you :)

Kudos my man, good and wise choice!
I, as an Astro owner, and depending on your dimensions, would recommend looking at an Astro or Safari with the "dutch" rear doors.
This my thought for recommending, setting up your work bench at the back facing the doors.
Aside from having an outlooking view while working, with the hatch open is kind of like a walk up counter to view/interact.

I tried to figure a way to lay out mine like this but being 6'4 couldn't figure a layout I Liked so instead will have it so I can have it open on nice nights for fresh air right by my head.
I'll use the side door instead as "service department" as i intend on offering services too while out and about in attempts to raise some gas & food money.
unnamed.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 3
I part timed (sometimes for months at a time) for over 10 years in a GMC Safari van. I loved that van but for the same price in maintenance, Tires, gas mileage, Insurance, and everything I could’ve had a full-size van with twice the room. I’m so glad I went full size. Mileage in the GMC 15 to 17 and my full size dodge 16 to 17 the room is worth the extra mile. I truly like the Astra/safari but the reality is you can have much more room for the same price. I don’t want to tell you what to do but for somebody doing a trade you need to have the room.

Twice the room? not. More room yes, but not twice. Astro/Safaris are in-between min and full size vans.
Being a little smaller makes them easier to maneuver and park etc, that along with the rear door configuration swayed my decision for the Astro.
I'd been looking at all sorts of vans, mostly full but came across this Astro at a good price and very local.
For not wanting to tell him what to do, you sure do tell him he wants the room, it can be done just as well in an Astro/Safari, it's all in the planning & layout.

If you wanted to go really small, these Japanese Kei vehicles are becoming very popular here in the states.
1991-suzuki-every-carry-kai-micro-van-3.jpg

Attachments

• 1991-suzuki-every-carry-kai-micro-van-3.jpg
    1991-suzuki-every-carry-kai-micro-van-3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 4
key tho is fast reliable parts replacement when needed, are those vehicles easily serviced cause darn when stuck and your home is dead in the water, a fast fix is required. So never buy something not easily fixed and parts available but of course not sure on this vehicle listed Todo.

First, I’m absolutely floored about the support here! I’m so glad I’m going to be doing this. I definitely will be using my e-bike a lot. I plan on designing an all weather canvas tent. It’s going to be awesome! I plan on making the tent soon so this summer I can use it. I’ll be going to the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado and testing out the tent. I’m seriously looking at getting the Ford E 250. Although the Asto/Safari has some very appealing possibilities. Price will ultimately be the deciding factor. I watched one of Bob’s videos about freedom vs comfort and he makes a very compelling argument of what you want most in life. For me, freedom is extremely important to me, especially being an artist who wants to be autonomous from our rat race society. I definitely need to consider how to be responsibly comfortable so I can do my art, but not get carried away with having everything. As a jewelry artist on the road I can’t have every tool. In reality, you can have just a few tools and make some incredible pieces of work. I definitely will be making as much room for my art and exploring nature. On a personal note, I really don’t mind your points of view. I value everyone’s. No one idea is better than another’s only that it works for you. I definitely don’t take things personal because life is too damn short!

I haven’t been this excited in a long time for the new life I’m about to live.

Those KEI vans are cute for sure but I would not consider them practical. For whatever reason, to import one it needs to be at least 25 years old. Tiny engine, 550cc. You will NOT find parts at Auto Zone. Might need to sleep in fetal position.

Guy

Ha, that was a total joke suggestion!
A buddy of mine out in the boonies has a KEI truck club, while being cool, parts availability is a factor.
Despite being 20-25 YO, many of them have fairly low mileage, but they are entirely too small.
I did however come across one with a pop top.

Back to the subject at hand, Metalartist, what I did around my tools, mechanic type tools, is first I went to a more compact storage system, I have 6 50 cal ammo cans, while doing this I went through and sorted out numerous tools that were whim purchases and I've either never used or never will.
Then I figured out approximately how much space these would take up and figured this in to my layout design.
For my computer tools I transferred everything into a tool bag type backpack which can easily be moved around as needed.

Being you're tools sound to be your livelihood, don't discount not being able to bring all of them, plan around it and i think you'll be able to carry more than you think, especially in a full size van.
Then once you get that space laid out, you can plan other space and what can fit.

I've been highly minimalizing the past months and planning what I'd like to have with me, once I get to actually stocking the van I may have to reassess some things however, but that's okay, I was probably still hanging on to too much lol.

I’m definitely going to look at all the cargo vans out there as I have lots of time before I pick one. As Bob mentioned in one of his videos, comfort vs freedom you always have to weigh the pros and cons. For me, I need to consider the best gas mileage and yet have enough space to do my work. Having the doors open up to a tent set up for my shop sounds like a brilliant idea as I can opt for a smaller van.

Uncle to do or what not or whatever. No I don’t tell anybody what to do but I do try to answer questions with suggestions based on my experience. That’s what people come here for that’s what they ask for. I don’t tell people what to do although I’ve been tempted to tell some people where to go.