Dealing with flat tires

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendiki

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm brand new to the Forum.

About to take my first solo trip to Arizona and am concerned with getting flat tires while on BLM land.

I have a good, filled-up spare, have AAA Roadside Assistance, too. But I'm not comfortable changing a tire in case I can't reach AAA.

In that case, would it be best to use an aerosol-type filler, or flag down nearby help?

Maybe it's not a big concern, but it's been on my mind. Any help/advice is appreciated!

Understand that even if you can reach AAA by cell phone, the service truck is NOT going to come and find you on BLM land.  AAA service is only provided along side roads.

Tire repair guys HATE those aerosol fix-a-flats, trying to fix a tire that's had that stuff put in is ugly.

I would make sure I had a good, 12 volt powered air compressor on board, if the flat isn't too bad, it might be possible to limp back to a road that AAA can reach by stopping and refilling the tire every mile or so.

the cans can work but often dont for big holes or blow outs. get tire plugs. they can be really hard to insert in the rubber though. and get a 12v air compressor.

you're always better off being able to do it yourself first. i would go out there and learn to jack the vehicle up and take lugs off before you leave. its really easy.

yep, can't rely on AAA off the road that far
Most folks will be willing to help, if anyone else is around
That can be a big if, so I also recomend getting comfortable with the procedure
I also recomend tire plugs, with PROPER plug tools, not the bitty screwdriver type, and learning to use those
134783_2000x2000.jpg

holy crap sorry for giant pic

A good spare (and getting past the "I dont wanna" feeling) is your only real fool-proof ticket out. A good air compressor will get you out of a lot of slow leak situations

Fixing it yourself with the flat repair kit is another option in some cases (it will not fix a sidewall puncture or tear)

The Slime of Fix-a-flat stuff will work for small holes, but again will not fix larger holes or tears. In some cases, a repair shop will not work on a tire that has been slimed due to the waste issues of the stuff. 

You will not be rescued by AAA on BLM land. If you can limp it too the asphalt road, they can help. Just about any auto insurance offers road side assistance now-a-days, so just talk to your insurance.

Depending on the size of vehicle you are speaking of, definitely recommend getting comfortable changing a tire...not that hard and is a good idea to be a 'survivalist' on the road. Breaking the lugs, with a proper tool, assuming the tire place didn't tighten with an impact wrench (vs. lug torque spec's), shouldn't lead to difficulty.

It's hard to recommend anything besides learning to change your own tires. It's a simple process once you go through it a time or two. On some vehicles, it can become physically difficult if you aren't in good health.

If you don't know how to do it yourself, stay close to public roads. Even with a completely flat tire, you can probably limp down a dirt road from BLM land to something where AAA will help. It'll be slow and rough but you could drive a couple miles if needed.

Don't count on flagging down someone to help, but keep it in mind as an option. It might not work, but it might. If I came across someone in that situation, I'd stop and help and I suspect most people here would too. It's just not something you can count on.

Since you mentioned AAA, I will recommend looking into the Premier memberships. They have RV and motorcycle towing, along with medevac insurance, for a reasonable rate (in my mind).

At a minimum, get a 12v pump. The patch kits are worthwhile as long as you're willing to try to repair the tire yourself.

Let me clarify something that Van Tramp said about fixing sidewalls.

Tire repair places won't fix a punctured sidewall.  It's not legal for them to do so.

4x4 off roaders often fix them when they are out in the boondocks, as a means of getting home.

Just understand that a tire with a sidewall puncture is ruined and needs to be replaced when you get back on the highway.

CautionToTheWind said:
Breaking the lugs, with a proper tool, assuming the tire place didn't tighten with an impact wrench (vs. lug torque spec's), shouldn't lead to difficulty.
Any time a shop touches my tires, I am very explicit about their not over-tightening, and get out my cross-wrench ( X-type cross 4-way) in front of them, make sure I can undo them before I drive out. A 2+' cheat pipe that just fits over the widest lug helps in a pinch too.

In suburbia people think you're from a century ago, but in outback Australia I learned my lessons.

Have someone teach you how to change a tire -- it's not rocket science.  Little girly-girls who just flutter their hands (and wait for a Man) and boondocking* simply don't mix.  But choose someone with patience and a brain -- THEY stand there and give instructions, YOU do the actual work, from start to finish.  Just watching doesn't cut it.  Take notes if you have to.  Always remember to chock the wheels.

As long as you DON'T have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System, carry a couple of cans of Fix-a-Flat (NOT the cheap-junk WallyWorld brands).  Carry TWO, because one might have a flaw.  Yes, the tire repair places hate the stuff.  But if you're in a bad place (traffic) or there are creepy people around, or the dog keeps growling at the bushes, etc, use the Fix-a-Flat and don't worry about some guy in a garage.  Your life is worth something.  Roll the wheel so the tire stem is fairly low, remove the stem cap, shake the can, attach the nozzle and wait for it to finish.  Remove the can. Start car, and head for civilization.  This is a quick fix, and doesn't last forever. 

When you get to civilization, immediately have the tire repaired (don't keep driving on it -- it still has the puncture).  Tell the tire place immediately that you used this product, and ask if that is a problem.  Some tire places at that sell tires will refuse to clean the stuff off the tire, and insist on selling you a new tire.  Go somewhere else, like a full-service gas station or a small repair shop, if you can find one.

Pay for the fix, and then find out which particular guy did the work, and give him a $10 cash tip personally (many desk people may pocket it), thank him nicely and say you wouldn't have used it if you weren't in a bad spot.

* BOONDOCKS definition:  rough, remote, or isolated country.  That means there often isn't anyone around to solve your problems.

I second the learn how to change your own tires thing.  I haven't done it myself yet, but I did have a scare a couple months ago that really brought that home to me.  I was WAAAAAY out of the way on BLM land near the Hauser Geode beds in California.  And I mean WAAAAAY out of the way.  No one would have found my bones for quite a while.  I was contemplating going down a near vertical spot on the road and I took a walk down that road to decide if I wanted to 4 wheel it to the other side.  Got back to the vehicle and decided I would give it a go.  Got in the car and the tire pressure management (TPM) system in the car said....left front tire is low.  I go and check it and it's 22 with a high of 40.  So I get out the old compressor and start filling it up.  As I'm doing that (and anyone who has used a rinky dink 12v compressor knows that it takes a while) I'm looking at the tire to try and figure out why it is at 22 which is pretty low.  I see a nail in the tire with what looks like a washer just before the tip of the nail.  So that's all the way in the tire.

What to do, what to do?  I think to myself that it's no use calling AAA as they would never get to me.  And cell phone is spotty there anyway.  Get the manual out for tire change and do that is an option, but the sun is beating down and I'm thinking heat stroke already, so I really don't like that option.  I decide to try and nurse it with the air compressor.

15 miles out to civilization took me over an hour with 3 refills to the tire, but I did finally make it to blacktop.  Never saw a soul all that time. 

So I get to blacktop and I could have called AAA, but I figured, what the heck, I've nursed it this far, I'll just nurse it back to my campsite (AGM) and then into Yuma to a Discount Tires who fixed it for free.  Highly recommend the Discount Tires chain as they are almost everywhere and they fix holes for free!  Whether you bought that tire from them or not!

Anyway, I know the feeling of I don't want to change the tire, but it really is necessary to know how.  And find out BEFORE you need to! 

I found out that the lug wrench for my suburban was hidden in a totally way out place.  I'd have had a hell of a time even finding it if I had tried to change my own tire out there  in the middle of nowhere.  That is NOT the time to find out that you don't have the tools you need! 

So practice lowing the spare and taking it off the spare tire holder and practice taking one of your tires off.  Put everything back the way it was, but at least practice so that if you are ever way out like I was you won't stress too much because you would know how to do everything in advance.

lot's of good advice has been given. I will give you some more.
1. when off road slow way down. sharp rocks will shred your tire.
2. only use quality tires. cheap tires will strand you. I recommend LT tires load range E(this is 120 on the new scale).
3. have a better than good spare that is the same as your other tires.(I carry 2)
4. of course it's been said but learn how to change your own tire. any tow company that has to do an off road call is going to charge you out the kazoo if you can find one that will even do it.
5. carry a commercial grade plug kit and learn how to use it. this is the one I carry, https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Seal-...127&sr=8-16&keywords=heavy+duty+tire+plug+kit .
6. ONLY USE FIX-A-FLAT AS A LAST RESORT. I cannot stress this enough.
7. carry a good lug wrench and jack. most factory ones are a joke.
8. driving on a flat tire will ruin the tire. drive a little more and you will ruin the rim.
9. carry plenty of water.
10. if you get stranded stay with your vehicle. DO TRY TO WALK OUT AND TAKE A SHORT CUT CROSS COUNTRY.
that's all I can think off of the top of my head. highdesertranger

good catch John I missed that. DO NOT TRY TO WALK OUT, is correct. highdesertranger

It was part of all of my childrens education before turning keys over to them. Learn how to check fluids, air in tires and change a flat. 4 daughters and two sons, they did the work and I drank a beer, but they learned.

Star Echo And Train Chaser are correct.

Rob

ArtW said:
yep, can't rely on AAA off the road that far
Most folks will be willing to help, if anyone else is around
That can be a big if, so I also recomend getting comfortable with the procedure
I also recomend tire plugs, with PROPER plug tools, not the bitty screwdriver type, and learning to use those

However, those become useless if you don't realize you have a flat until after you've driven a while on it and destroyed the sidewalls. "Oh, I just thought the dirt road had gotten extra bumpy."

I've had three flats in four years. Two of them were on pavement. I don't think flats are any more likely off pavement. Dirt gives under your tires. I think sharp objects get pressed into the ground when you roll over them rather than sitting on top of concrete or asphalt waiting to puncture a tire because it has nowhere else to go. Also, there are fewer people out in the boonies to toss/lose sharp objects.

rocks especially sharp ones. you know the stuff stone age man made knives and arrowheads out of. once you get to 25 mph or above rocks reek havoc on tires. this is especially true of a freshly graded gravel road. the road is so smooth you could go 60 plus mph on it but this will tear your tires up, better to slow down. when the road is graded it has a habit of turning up the sharp rocks. then you have obsidian you don't even have to drive fast over this. obsidian is volcanic glass and is often razor sharp obsidian is common in the western US. you also have scree this is common on mountain roads, it's fractured bedrock, I have seen scree rip a hole in a sidewall that you could stick your fist into. so the whole point of this is, don't think dirt roads are soft and cushy, slow way down unless you enjoy fixing flats. besides you are in no hurry right? highdesertranger

Van-Tramp said:
Fixing it yourself with the flat repair kit is another option in some cases (it will not fix a sidewall puncture or tear)

I would never recommend anyone do it, but I got out of a nasty jam plugging my sidewall with about 4 of the things.  I was in my early 20's and fishing in the middle of nowhere Maine with my brother, before cell phones were common.  Wouldn't  have got reception back there anyways, probably still wouldn't today.  Didn't go over 20 all the way to the service station,  we were all impressed it held. 

To the OP,  I'd carry the stuff in the can, a 12 volt compressor, AAA, and do a dry run changing it with someone that knows how to do it.  Even if you never do it yourself because you either never have too or AAA is always able to, it will make you a lot more comfortable having done it when you're out there.