Dazar's No Skill Needed Van Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wonder if amazon would be ticked if i order a bunch of this, installed in my old van for review, then returned it lol

DazarGaidin said:
no hes right, memory foam hardens as the temperatures get low. i have the listed mattress and it is a concrete slab until my body heat 'melts' it to conform to my shape. It changes properties based on temperature thats what gives it a 'memory'. I think its worth it for the comfort it affords.
For some reason some items from my cart didnt make the list like the lithium jump pack/device charger, so added them, the total cost shouldnt be affected.

for instance look at rubber insulation extension cord, leave it outside in 30 degree weather and then see how stiff it is. solids soften and harden with temperature changes too just slower. Stick a plastic fork in a hot microwaved potato for ten seconds then pull it out, its soft. as it cools it hardens.

This is less true of the newer memory foam designs. I bought the top of the line memory foam from the foam factory and in 27 degree weather it's still soft and flexible. The cheaper foam will harden, but not the higher quality foam.

Ive added some optional items (not reflected in price estimate) for upgrading beyond the essentials here. Ill upgrade the original post/list as well. Thanks for suggestions!

Thanks to whoever posted a head up about renology's suitcase offering in another thread...
Yes i added the evil walmart marine battery. I'm going for ease here so wiring 2 6v or finding a trojan dealer are not suitable.

Wiring two six volt batteries is too hard? It's one wire. Positive to negative for size for maximum combined current flow. This is so easy to make a 12volt battery. But-but-but can see the issue of charging the six volt batteries separately without overcharging one or the other. - always some got ya catch.

you say that but i had to consult bobs article to know which way to do it in series when first bought batts. I also had to find a suitable gauge wire to use, and cut to fit at HD, and the thickness was so great i couldnt find crimping tools to do it with at Home depot...yeah im looking for as close to plug and play as i can get.

Dazar - I would have used a high wattage soldering iron and minimal crimping. But that's me. And yes you would need to visit a welding supply shop to get the wire size you need. - so yes it's not worth the trouble for most.