Days like this....ERs in the western states

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am at Concentra urgent care right now for what I thought was possibly a scuff on my eye or a errant lash. As of this morning I can barely open the left eye and the right is turning red and starting to weep too. Called doctor and was told I could come in this afternoon but she would just send me on to another doctor. She suggested urgent care or a eye doctor and my plan doesn't cover them.

Today wasn't too bad. Got there just before 11 am and was out about 1:30 pm and that's waiting for them to find me a eye doctor to follow up with. Two infections in eye, one viral and one not. Two drops every two hours for two weeks for the viral and a week for the bacterial. Tramadol for the pain. Super cpntagious even to the right eye so no work this week.

Wow! That was faster than at my doctor office--then again, our urgent care is lots faster than doctor offices. I was wondering from your description earlier. It sounded like pink eye which is contagious. Glad they got you taken care of. Hope missing work isn't too big a deal.

Thank you. Missing work isn't too bad, in fact if it were my way I'd be retired now.

Has anyone tried Doctor on Demand?  It's a phone app.   I tried it recently when I needed some antibiotics for an infection, and it was very fast and convenient, and covered by my insurance.  The doctor I saw on my phone was very pleasant and competent.   I definitely would go that route for any garden variety type ailments that require a prescription.  I believe they offer various sorts of counseling, too.

As far as ERs go, I've been to the ones in Scottsdale, Arizona several times (only once for me) and never had long waits to begin treatment, though in the several times I was there for my mother, it took a while for them to complete various tests and admit her into the hospital.

The last 6 years I have worked for a Federally Qualified Healthcare Center (FQHC). You can find one near most any big town and many are in rural areas. While not a free clinic you can get a deep discount for nearly any regular medical need. Patients who are low income receive a sliding scale fee schedule and pay as little as $30.00 for the entire visit. That includes any vaccine, antibiotic, or other injection. In addition there is a Patient Assistance Program (PAP) where a nice lady helps you navigate and fill out the paperwork to receive free meds from the pharmaceutical companies. We charge a $10.00 fee to cover the administrative cost for each drug. Last years we helped patients receive almost 2 million dollars worth of free drugs. I cannot speak to the quality of care in other FQHC's but ours is top notch. I have assisted the docs with minor surgical procedures as well (stitches, abscess I&D, toenail removal for ingrown toenail, skin tag and wart removal). We even have a dental clinic in the building as well. This year we are breaking ground on a new 35,000 sq ft clinic. The one downside is sometimes you can wait up to six weeks as a new patient. If you are an established patient many will see you as a walk in if you are ill. Sometimes there is a bit of a wait but still better than waiting in the ER for six hours. Just a thought YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk