gas overfill question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IGBT

Reaction score
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Ok, this is a long shot but you guys know a lot about engines...[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]We were at the pole barn yesterday and I smelled a strong smell of gas.   I sniffed around stuff like an old outboard motor, small gas can and finally opened the snowmobile trailer.   Gas was dripping out of one of the snowmobiles![/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I immediately thought maybe the gas line was leaking but when I opened the gas cap, fuel flowed up and out quite a bit, at least a cup.   The other snowmobile wasn't leaking but the same thing happened when I opened the cap, about a cup of fuel bubbled out.  I siphoned about 1/4 gallon from each tank and left the trailer open to air out.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Ok, so my thought is that duh, gas expands when it gets warm and I topped off these for a last ride at the end of the season that didn't happen.  It was probably 28 degrees at the time and was 70 degrees yesterday.   Oops.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Would any of the modern enviro crap be damaged by this?   Check valves or something?   I bet they have a one way vent for enviro regulations and it wasn't not allowing pressure to release.   They are fuel injected so not sure if the excess pressure could cause hydro lock?   I would hope also that the tank itself could not rupture from this...they would have to build them better than that right?[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]These are 2017 Skidoo Expedition Sport, 4 stroke, 900 cc fuel injected.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Wondering if I should tear them down and inspect or just try and crank them after the gas has fully evaporated.[/font]

Don't know anything about snowmobiles and don't want too but most modern engines use a charcoal canister that collects the fumes and gasoline as the tank has to have a way to vent. where was the gasoline leaking from? Most likely the charcoal canister will have become saturated and leaked the excess but it should dry out over time but if not it will normally set a trouble code assuming the computer has trouble codes. I would let it dry out good and insure there is no puddled gasoline or fumes about by taking them outside and letting them sit for a few hours and then start them after a call to the dealership to see what they say.

I'll dig around the service manual if I can find it to see if there is a charcoal canister.   I know my motorcycle does have one so it could be packed inside there somewhere.  It is an incredibly tightly packed engine.

Thanks!