Day 7 in the van and what I've discovered

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty Van Halen

Reaction score
After 7 days in the van I now realize in cool or cold weather I need absolutely no auxiliary batteries or solar panels. Without having to run the fan, I have no need for auxiliary batteries whatsoever. I can get all my electric power needs from the 12 volt ports in the dash of the van. I can charge the laptop and the cell phone from the 12-volt ports in the dash of the van. The LED lights in the back of the van I can run from AA batteries.

I brought 2 deep cycle 12-volt batteries with me. They are both 33 amp hour a piece. I have been running the LED lights in the back of the van from them and it has barely even used any power from the batteries.

My yeti style cooler has held ice 5 days. I do not use a battery powered refrigerator.

With all that being said, I'm sure in summer time in hot weather I will definitely need auxiliary battery power to run the fan but with temperatures below 70 degrees I do not need any of that

So far in the last 7 days temperatures have been between 60 degrees Fahrenheit in the day and 29 degrees Fahrenheit at night. I have found that it is much much easier to heat a van than to cool one. I have been very comfortable .  I used my mr. Buddy heater for a few minutes the other morning and that was it.

do you have good insulation for the cold?

I don't know what area you are in but keep in mind that the ice will not last as long in the summer. that means more trips to get ice. which adds to the cost of the ice. out west that cost can get out of hand pretty quick. just something to think about. highdesertranger

location and weather is a biggie when deciding what supplies you need and how you have to roll for comfort/convenience/and survival. So get that.

Even if you **feel** you don't need to use your fan,

you should ensure good ventilation to reduce humidity levels and condensation.

Once mold sets in it's a nightmare to eliminate.

And of course if you sit in one place for days at a time, even low amp loads - and a computer is **not** low

will flatten your Starter batt.

Do not just run your engine at idle to recharge on a regular basis, you should really only rely on stock alt input from actually driving.

Finally, it takes 5-7 hours to get a deep cycling batt back to 100% Full,

and this needs doing at least a few times per week for bank longevity.

You might just need a solar panel to keep those batteries full.

In fact, you'll be glad you got one, in the long run.

Small electrical devices can be charged with one of those small, portable battery boosters, which also serve as a lifesaver when your starter battery is dead.

Riverman said:
You might just need a solar panel to keep those batteries full.

In fact, you'll be glad you got one, in the long run.

I have a 200w folding portable solar panel and 10 amp controller. I'm about to hook it up to the battery and see how long it takes to charge it   the battery is showing 12.5  resting volts currently.

LadyJo said:
do you have good insulation for the cold?

i only have reflectix on the walls and roof.  i have about an inch air gap behind it.  you have to leave the air gap behind it in order for it to repel heat from outside on those hot days.  iv found that it works great to hold the heat inside too once i get it warmed up in there.

but if i lived in a colder zone id go with foam board.  im in TN, its mild here

John61CT said:
Even if you **feel** you don't need to use your fan,

you should ensure good ventilation to reduce humidity levels and condensation.

Once mold sets in it's a nightmare to eliminate.
im keeping an eye on that.  i leave my windows cracked 2 inches ,i have rain guards on them.  the barn doors on my van are able to be left ajar and still locked.  theres a gap that lets air in this way.  iv checked each morning for condensation, so far theres none. iv heard of so many people having condensation problems.  maybe they are heating their van more than i am or keeping their doors closed more, i dont know.  but so far iv had no issues thank goodness. 
 im a proponent of opening the barn doors and letting the world in, LOL.  iv had several people just come up and just strike up a conversation.  i give them a van tour and they are amazed at what can be done with a van.  iv met a lot of people i would have otherwise not met if i had closed up the doors and hid away, LOL

VanForNow said:
Small electrical devices can be charged with one of those small, portable battery boosters, which also serve as a lifesaver when your starter battery is dead.
Really best used for one purpose or the other.

Or get two, keep one in the glovebox fully charged, use the other as a gadget portapak, rotate occasionally.

They don't last forever, especially being cycled maybe just a year or two.

measuring volts is a poor way to see if a battery is fully charged or how depleted it is. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
measuring volts is a poor way to see if a battery is fully charged or how depleted it is.  highdesertranger

i also has access to a load tester?  would u recommend that over a voltmeter?

No, only 100% Full SoC and 0% dead empty are easy to tell with inexpensive tools.

A proper Battery Monitor is pretty accurate, but costs $200+

But a crude 12V AH counting meter can also double as an ammeter, I think eBay has them for $30 or so.

WanderingCanuck said:
If the electrolyte is accessible, which it absolutely should be with a good deep cycle battery
only true with FLA.

there are sealed chemistries batts like GEL and AGM

both of which can be true deep cycling.

not to mention LFP.

John61CT said:
only true with FLA.

there are sealed chemistries batts like GEL and AGM

both of which can be true deep cycling.

not to mention LFP.

Fair enough. I was assuming FLA.

My own choice to go that route was largely based on your advice, and so far I've been glad that I did to start out and gain experience with cycling a battery. I'd be blind if I couldn't just open up the battery and get a reading whenever I wanted. Otherwise I'd definitely be into a more expensive battery monitor.

Yes in fact the ability to use a hydrometer is by itself a good reason to stick to FLA