Danger's on the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Insurance, or a pile of money stashed is about the only thing you can do to deal with the serious crap.  Geico has an extra add on for riots and terrorism now.  5$ more a month and you are covered up to 5,000$ in damage.  Hubby jokes about the 'magic cones'.  Lots of vehicles in our area put out the orange cones, because everyone knows, you can't hit a vehicle that has cones around it.   :-/

Tony\ said:
As I ponder as to whether or not I want to travel the USA in a van, I am trying to understand all of this.  I am naive and thought I could travel without issue throughout this great country.  Sure, there are places where one must be concerned, but I thought generally state and national parks were relatively safe.  From the posts here, it sounds like it's a very scary venture. I have stayed in many state parks in tents and never really thought about crime or being attacked.  In fact, I thought upgrading to a van was a wiser choice for safety
:huh:
Is it because people think VanDwellers are homeless people and they don't like that?  Is it because they think you are an easy target?
OP, I think one of the reasons you may feel the way you do is because anything that is negative is brought to the table. If you notice there are thousands of positive threads here. We live in a society that has a very active anxiety machine operating. You are coached by it to be afraid of anything and everything. When, in reality, the odds of any of the negative things you hear or read about happening to you are very slim. Enjoy your life and help others to enjoy theirs.

Rajendora1 said:
. . . Hubby jokes about the 'magic cones' . . . 

travelaround said:
Sounds like I'm going to have to invest in cones! 

They aren't cones, their circular pyramids.  Everybody knows pyramids have magical properties.

If you wear one on your head it makes you smarter (well at least LOOK smarter).

Smarter? I think it would look like an orange dunce hat. You would never see me with one of those on my head unless there were some kind of massive payoff involved.

Spaceman Spiff said:
They aren't cones, their circular pyramids.  Everybody knows pyramids have magical properties.

If you wear one on your head it makes you smarter (well at least LOOK smarter).

I thought they were called dunce caps when worn but what do I know.  Technology changes all the time.

Edit to add: Maybe I should be wearing one now.

hahahahaha, circular pyramids. is that like rectangular spheres? or square orbs? highdesertranger

Only been out 6 years this time around. Amazed at how things have changed since we fulltimers the first time nearly 30 years ago. Amazed at the people here who have had no problems. 

We spend more of our time in pay parks tthan we do boondocking, and we have still had problems. We have had bikes stolen. We had had other thngs stolen or damaged. We have to lock up everything. 

Two of our favorite stop-over Wal-Mart's no longer allow overnighting. Several areas now limit rest area stays to 4 hours. We have repeatedly been approached by what seems to be an increasing number of homeless/drunks/addicts/crazy people who are intimidation-begging. Campgrounds we liked have closed. Pay parks in popular areas now require reservations 6 months in advance. Some won't allow our 11 year old RV at all anymore, even with pics.  

I am glad so many people have a trouble free existence. I wish we did.

Things have changed mostly I think because of the number of people doing this thing, thanks in some ways to youtube, and sites like this one. I think it is particularly true in urban areas, I walked down a row of city vandwellers a few days ago, out of curiosity, it was obvious that serious mental issues were present amongst these people. Junk piled up outside, I looked inside one open door and I couldn’t believe the filth and the amount of junk that was visible from the doorway or the condition of the person living in there. I tried to have a conversation with one of the horder type guys sorting some stuff outside his rv, man he was crazy, or maybe he was acting crazy so I wouldn’t talk to him. I felt it was a dangerous area i left. I think partially because of this kind of element amongst Vandweller’s people are suspicious and leary of all Vandweller’s. I think tourist of any kind will soon meet the same faith from the locals as everywhere you go these days every nice landmark every great site, every famous mountain is filled, to capacity. The promoters of these landmarks have been very successful and more and more people are traveling. Those involved in the hospitality industrie are doing good but most of the locals see nothing but more traffic. I suppose as gas gets more expensive we will see more and more of these sedantary rows of Vandweller’s popping up in most cities. I am sure police are not that interested in approaching these crazies.

I guess that is the reason I avoid urban areas most of the time. Even when I do go to them I try to stay an hour or two drive away from them. I haven't had any issues. Even a few miles from the Mexican border where many illegals cross something as simple as solar lights have meant quiet peaceful nights. I just avoid people as much as possible and when not possible I use National Parks campgrounds or areas where I know law enforcement is nearby. In several years of RV living I've only called law enforcement for medical emergencies as most rangers are EMTs as well.

I have put over 60,000 miles on my Peterbilt Motorhome conversion in 8 years. I stay at a lot of Walmart’s (not in larger cities- dangerous), rest and truck stops. Never had any real problem. If I feel uneasy I leave,  but have only done that two or three times. As I’ve gotten older I’ve started carrying a 16 gauge pump tactical shotgun; “just in case.”

Just use your common sense; access your surroundings every time you stop; always have a pre-planned exit route; and lock your vehicle at all times. At night I ratchet-strap the doors together so they can’t be opened. 

Remember:p7- “Proper Pre-Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance”

Just my thoughts . . .

speedhighway46 said:
I stay at a lot of Walmart’s (not in larger cities- dangerous)

I've been in Walmarts (and Cracker Barrels and Targets and Lowes and Cabelas and Home Depots) all over the country, coast to coast and border to border, small towns and major cities.

Never had any trouble in any of them.

EDIT: I'm not sure I'd wanna shotgun the inside of my van and blow it full of holes .........

bullfrog said:
illegals 

Those are my least concern. They are, by nature, trying to stay unseen, unnoticed, inconspicuous, and off the radar. 

It's the local meth-heads that are the real danger.

bullfrog said:
In several years of RV living I've only called law enforcement for medical emergencies as most rangers are EMTs as well.

Indeed. Despite all the newspaper headlines, the reality is that the vast majority of people will never be the victim of a violent crime and will never need to defend themselves against anything or anyone.

I don't worry about it anymore than I worry about a meteor strike or a volcanic eruption.

Latest posts