Daily/weekly rates

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jillybean

Reaction score
Hello to you all,
        I am still grounded and itching to get out there but have a question if you dont mind. I live in AL, plan on hopefully getting started this winter/spring and will probably stay over here in the SE till I get my feet wet camping altho' I would love to head out west where I know most of you are. I was looking at the rates of the campgrounds, mostly in N. FL cause I"ll proably stay there for the winter, and its ridiculous! Even with the Passport America rates (which I dont know if that's even real yet, just was looking at the app) Even if its $25 a night, that $750 a mo!!! I pay just  a bit more than that for my 2 bdrm aptm now.  Are there monthly rates that are far better or how do you even do this if it costs so much to stay somewhere?

Welcome to the forum Jillybean! One of the best sites to check for free and inexpensive camping is freecampsites-  https://freecampsites.net/#!Florida&query=region 
Some of the free sites are wildlife or water management areas and have restrictions so read the information given carefully.

If you are 62 or older buy an American the Beautiful pass which will give you a 50% discount on camping at federal campgrounds - https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

Florida is expensive but it is possible to find bargins. We've stayed at this park - https://www.hardeecounty.net/Site/content/parks/PioneerPark/Pioneer Park Rules.pdf
The monthly rate is only $325 which includes electricity.  The campground is in the middle of nowhere central Florida but it's quiet. in a pretty area,  and close to a little town.

x2 on what Karen said. also most of us don't stay in campgrounds. highdesertranger

If you are eligible due to age or disability for a federal pass, federal sites are then half price, tho they are not plentiful and there are limits on your stay.

I have had Passport America for years, but there are limits on that, too.

Staying out of campgrounds is the best way to keep costs down.

jillybean said:
  Are there monthly rates that are far better or how do you even do this if it costs so much to stay somewhere?

Almost all parks that allow long term stays have monthly rates that are much reduced over a daily rate. Some even have full season rates (6 months usually).

Rates vary greatly depending on the park - KOA in St. Petersburg was well over $600 a month on seasonal rates 20 years ago when my parents had a trailer there.  RV parks in the Florida keys can be as much as $1,500 a month on a seasonal rental

Some of the state parks have monthly rates so you don't need to look exclusively at privately owned RV parks. I think the state park at the Florida/Alabama line was in the $300 a month range the last time I was there (5 years ago?).

The only way to find out what the rates are is to check the parks web site if there is one or to ask the park either by email or phone. Pick an area, check to see what parks there are and start checking.

Im 58 so the discounted rates for over 62 wont work. No disability either, thank God. Im also single, and new to camping so I dont know how comfortable Id be all by myself out in the middle of nowhere, at least yet. That is why I was thinking of starting out in campgrounds but I dont live my life in fear either so maybe I can find a middle ground somewhere. I will check the parks you all suggest and see what I can find. Thank you all!

Check out Escapees.com as they have a campground in Florida and offer help for new RVer's as well.

Having a dog dependent on me, I don’t do out in the middle of nowhere by myself, but do like to find free overnights as often as I can, partaking of an established campground once a week or so to use their amenities.

There are a fair number of places in the southeast, if you know where to look.

The free campsites website is a good place to start.

I appreciate all the tips and places to check out, so excited to get out there! Thanks everyone!  :)

The campground that we stayed at in northern Wi.(Happy Ours)has a seasonal rate of $1100 plus electric.Just a plain jane cg with wifi.Some really good fishing in numerous small lakes in the area.The people are very friendly and the local draft beer is excellent.