Cylinder misfires? Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim Beret

Reaction score
Hi! I have 2001 Chevy express and check light comes on and when I look it up it says 3 cylinder misfire. It seems to run good, took it on a big climbing hill and only lost 5 mph. I’m wondering is it a huge concern? Or should I just keep erasing the code when it comes up? Cuz it seems like it is common thing, another person on FB has same issue.TIA

I would fix it. misfires are hard on an engine and a catalytic converter, you are dumping raw gas in the cylinder washing the cylinder walls of there protective oil coating and sending the raw gas down the exhaust were it will ruin the cat. highdesertranger

Thanks, what would fix it? I’ve had the cap, rotor, spark plugs replaced. They cleaned the MAF thing at shop, too

Spark plug wires go bad too. I generally do it all at the same time. Already in there doing the rest. The cheapest wires don't last all that long either.

Cap, rotor and plugs the easiest. Wires take some time.

also GM's of that era don't like aftermarket caps, rotor, plugs. use only AC Delco. highdesertranger

Random misfire code could also be a failing fuel injection spider. Check the engine oil for any gasoline smell.

Just to add, had a friend with a Chevy pickup that was also throwing that code, Plugs had been replaced, yet still happening, I suggested we change them again, BAM no more code. Just a FYI

bonvanroulez said:
Random misfire code could also be a failing fuel injection spider. Check the engine oil for any gasoline smell.
Actually, to correct myself, cylinder misfire code (not random) like p0303, cylinder 3, could be one injector in the spider failing.

I did have wires replaced with the plugs. I got fuel injection service. The code hasn’t come back yet, I’m gonna if take that huge hill again to test it,see if it pops up again! Thank you