Current thoughts on a good 24v inverter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbearded

Reaction score
Any advice? I was looking at the TrippLite one Jim-in-Denver recommended in his video with Bob but unfortunately, it is only 12v. I'm not really seeing a need for a charger/inverter for the system (12-1800W solar with a Tesla 24v battery pack) I'd like to avoid needing to plug in at all for power. I am trying to avoid getting too much cash laid out at once (I may upgrade to an inverter charger later if I must) and am looking for an inexpensive 1500-2000W inverter for the meantime. It seems there are so many import models/brands out there I really don't know which to pick...

Thanks all :)

Cheap Chinese, dunno, IMO roll of the dice, maybe AIMS or Bestek?

Xantrex is good but terrible CS attitude. Magnum is the best, Vanner, Victron, MasterVolt, Sterling, Outback, ProMariner but pricey. Samlex and Tripplite solid middle ground. I've heard Morningstar is good.

Note I'm very skeptical of the safety of DIY converting EV batts to House use in a mobile context.

Don't want to debate it here, just did not want to imply my approval, IMO such science experiments should stay out in the back shed.

From an old post/old thread...my good friend BradKW…..who has a 24 v system and lives fulltime in his box truck in Key West FL...…with A/C :

BradKW said:
I would suggest including Go Power! GP-SW1500-12 1500-Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter in your consideration. I went with the 3000 watt 24v model and have been nothing but pleased with it...sounds like the 1500 watt model might fit your needs well. Good inverters can easily exceed "max" and operate at "peak"...bad ones can't even reach rated max.

I didn't want to spend $2k+ for comparable Magnum and GoPower looked like a good fit, especially with a lot of negative stuff related to changes within Xantrex out there.

What finally made my decision was the level of customer support I kept witnessing in reviews and forums, to the point where they were replacing ebay purchases of "Trucker Edition" units that have the higher voltage cutout for OTR drivers. They replaced units they didn't even sell, just to clear up confusion. I believe they are at least assembled in the US, and my email questions post-purchase were answered immediately, thoroughly, and with an offer for further follow up.

Hey Doug! Seems I get notified when quoted...and I still approve this message [emoji6]
3eb45b044aa882f0bbc04b8bd0b4b82c.jpg
5e7a24b5940cf5a991a5cea987ebb323.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Note also, getting one big inverter to handle everything may not be optimal.

I prefer to avoid them completely myself.

But having a PSW sized just for the device that needs it, then cheap little MSWs where they'll do, may save money and gives redundancy.

The real keys to efficiency is running at close to the max power - a 50W device running off a big inverter is very wasteful, and

turning the inverter off when the device it feeds is not running.

I'd like to have one that will power a smallish microwave a few times a day, Other than that I will have a fairly minimal AC draw. I was thinking of getting a larger cheaper ~1500 watt modified sine inverter and a smaller more efficient 3-500W pure sine for the daily draw stuff (chargers, computers, etc). My thought was to use a switch to enable switching between them and have both hardwired into the system.

While my inverter is 12V, I did hard wire it to both the the batteries and to duplex outlets in the living area of the van.

I put a lighted switch in a convenient spot on the wall so that the inverter is turned on by the switch. That way it doesn't draw any power when not being used. The duplex outlets are only live when the inverter is on of course.

You could use a 3 position toggle switch to wire the two of them in on one switch so you couldn't ever have both of them on at once.

be aware the tesla model S modules are not the same voltage as a lead acid 24 volt bank. their nominal voltage is lower. with this in mind make sure that the voltage range for the inverter will work well with the voltage range of the tesla module

The Go Power! GP-SW1500-12 1500-Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter is no longer manufactured.

This is the replacement:

Go Power 1500 Watt 12V Pure Sine Inverter GP-ISW1500-12 $479.95 @ Amazon

wayne49 said:
The Go Power! GP-SW1500-12 1500-Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter is no longer manufactured.

This is the replacement:

Go Power 1500 Watt 12V Pure Sine Inverter GP-ISW1500-12    $479.95 @ Amazon

But the OP was asking about 24v inverters.

Microwaves require quality power.

If not they'll pull a lot more power, or even need replacement much more quickly.

Can't believe you of all people would think $250 a lot to pay.

Note the cheaper the inverter the bigger rated maximum number you need to get the actual power required.

Best approach is seeking reco's for specific model inverters that are known to reliably work long term paired with a specific microwave, and not just from this website, 24V is very rare here, for good reasons, more a marine thing where they need it for bowthrusters, winches etc.

Especially valuable to get stats on what the microwave actually pulls.

The numbers on the mfg spec sheets and outside of the box are nearly meaningless, and always in favour of marketing that product.

You need IRL measurements.

Prolly at me, lol. I don't mind paying for quality when I need it but hate paying for it when I don't :)
My thinking is that the big inverter will not be used all that often hence my reluctance to get a spendy one. 

Just as most of the name brand companies have gone to inverter chargers for their larger units and are charging for the privilege, I don't need or want a charger though as I don't plan to plug in and am building the solar power system large enough to ensure that reality (hopefully).

Some of the inverters that look interesting like https://www.aimscorp.net/3000-Watt-Pure-Sine-Wave-24-Volt-Inverter.html is listing at $800 so I almost would rather just pay the extra and get a nice Victron inverter charger for the few hundred bucks more...

Right now I'm leaning towards https://www.aimscorp.net/1500-Watt-24-Volt-Pure-Sine-Inverter.html for about $250 which should get me where I need to go, plus I like the compactness of the unit in comparison to some of the others. (my electrical closet is pretty small, unfortunately, lol). I'm also figuring that if I need to get a large one I'm not out all that much at 250, but If I spring for the fancy ones first then don't use them that would bug me.

I will say the 24v system is making my options a lot smaller on inexpensive inverters though Ugh...

Inverter-chargers make sense if you are building a mobile dwelling or RV that will be hooked up to shorepower or a generator fairly often. But I dont think any of the normal ones we see online are set-up to charge a Tesla pack.

If not using shore power, a portable or hard-wired inverter should be just fine. I prefer pure-sine inverters but have used the modified square wave type to power some devices. 

Just be aware than microwave ovens on a modified square wave inverter run less efficiently (cook slower) and will sometimes make a pronouced 'hum' or 'buzz' as they operate. Having said that, I ran a microwave daily on MSW for more than 5 years in a semi truck.

Redbearded said:
I will say the 24v system is making my options a lot smaller on inexpensive inverters though Ugh...
That will be the case for nearly everything, and very hard for me to think where higher volts actually saves money, except for wiring when distances are great, just not worth it AFAIC.

Why are you doing that again? Just link to your past threads if we already discussed in detail, I have a terrible memory.

John61CT said:
Why are you doing that again? Just link to your past threads if we already discussed in detail, I have a terrible memory.

24v Tesla battery mentioned at least three times above, you mentioned EV battery in post number 2.

Good memory not required, just passable reading comprehension.

Tesla battery modules are 24 volts, several in series and parallel make up the complete pack of around 400 volts for the car. 

I looked at a few on fleebay and see that typical modules are in the $1000-$1500 range, weigh around 55 pounds, roughly 235-250 ah, and chargers are available. Liquid cooling optional depending on duty cycle.

Seems like a good match for a solar installation in a vehicle, assuming that a good BMS system is used, since some of these things are catching fire in experiments without a proper BMS.

Mod Edit, BMS = battery management system

Also because they are at 24 volts it's more like having a 460AH battery and then when you figure in that 80% is usable compared to 50% and they don't suffer from the peukert effect and will be able to suck up power as fast as I can collect it with the solar. Will Prowse did a good job lining out the benefits here and comparing the differences between the standard chemistries.