Cronstrom Coolers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnwexplorer

Reaction score
I'm liking the look of these old Coolers, is anyone using one of these?

I found one for fairly cheep, and before I pulled the trigger I wanted to verify if people have had good results with ice not melting too fast.. :D

Thanks ya'll!

those are pretty cool, collector items. the thing about metal is it's a very good conductor. it will conduct heat just as well as electricity. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

I have a Coleman Ultimate Xtreme cooler. I think it is an excellent value for under $100, as it will keep ice as long as some of the more expensive coolers, like the yeti.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-82-Q..._SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=K696EX9ZS21BWGM0C5WB

Here's a good cooler review, including some electric coolers: http://www.bestcovery.com/best-camping-cooler

Here's another good cooler review. They include Coleman's 5 day Xtreme, not the 6 day Ultimate Xtreme, which has twice the insulation and performs as well as the Yeti and Pelican (2 coolers that are 4 times the price of the Coleman) in ice holding tests! http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Cooler-Reviews?n=5&sort_field=#compare

Here's your best buy: http://www.saleawayscabana.com/inde...r_by_Coleman?gclid=CKru6vzv1csCFUc2gQod-x4DvA

Chip

I had a Coleman cooler with a metal exterior (until my sister backed into it), and a solid chunk of ice would last four days. Keep it in the shade and it will do fine. And they make nice additional seating, too.

If I still had it, I would still use it. I'll have to buy an expensive piece of junk to replace it.

When I got my first Van, College days and I was around 21,  I had a steel belt Coleman.(still have it)   I later got a Thermos 48 qt and then lucked into a 68 qt Thermos when they were on clearance at a Kmart. 

The steel belted Coleman was like a 32 qt and was probably all I really needed as it did a fine job when I put a 10 lb bag of ice in it with a small hole in the top.   But I began experimenting with ways to keep the ice from melting before I'd call it a wrap and go home on Sunday Afternoons. 

The 48 qt never had an issue as I was putting 18 lb of ice in it,  but it was a bit of a bear to lift it around or in or out of the Van.   In time I put the 68 qt in and around 25 lbs of ice in it and room left over with my supplies.

I've since lucked into a deal on a 104 qt (not sure of the brand)  but haven't used it yet.  I understand the best place for this is stationary due to the weight when full of goods and ice.   Like on a pontoon boat where the ice is carried to the cooler.  Or on a Deck for a party where it doesn't have to be moved until empty.

On a visit to my Public Library during one early spring day I checked out a book on Sail Boats and found a chapter that addressed refrigeration with ice.   It mentioned keeping the right amount of water in the bottom of the cooler so the ice wouldn't melt too quickly.  So since then I've monitored the water level from the melted ice. I keep it at  1/2 inch in the Coleman and 3/4 to 1 inch in the larger coolers.

At this time I'm considering carrying 2  36 qt coolers where one is ice and drinks and the other is food.   These would be heavy enough to lift when full.  (and lifting them several times a day to drain the excess water out of them would be work enough)

resisting urge to type about 12vdc compressor fridges.

Before I had refrigeration, i built foil backed 2 inch thick foam board enclosures around coolers using bamboo skewers and duct tape, and filled voids with sawdust.
i had separate compartments within the coolers, and even a foam board hatch inside.

Problem was the Ice itself taking up so much room, and then pouring out 32 degree water to make room seems such a waste of energy.

When my first fridge failed, and I went back to the cooler method, My IR thermometer often read internal food temperatures well over 40f even with a fresh batch of block ice inside.

I don't miss buying ice every several days. I saw a block in my supermarket the other day. 3.75$. no thanks. rather buy a gallon plus of gasohol.

I have found it best to leave the melt water in the cooler. only drain the water when recharging with ice. highdesertranger

Theoretically, removing the melt water is the action that removes the heat from the "Phase Change"...leaving the water in will typically add to the load on the remaining ice.

the water is melted ice 33-35 degrees just as long as you still have ice in the water . far colder than the air when you open the cooler. trust me I have been traveling the high desert for 40 years with ice chests. all I can say is thank God for 12v refers. haven't bought ice in years. highdesertranger

Yeah, I'm already getting sick of buying ice.

I'm starting to freeze water jugs, in a rotation at my work, so I'm going to see how that works out.

Trying to be ultra frugal and not dive into the realm of solar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pnw I was the same way fighting the need to buy a 12v refer. I tried to cheap out for a couple of years. I tried everything. finally got a 12v refer, what a relief. if I would have just done it to begin with I would have save a boat load of bucks. just saying. highdesertranger