Crock Pot Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunSquid

Reaction score
I have been looking for a small crock pot that my batteries can handle while driving.&nbsp; I found a 1.6 quart at target.&nbsp; It says that it uses 120 Watts.&nbsp; I know that you lose some capacity when converting from DC to AC, but if my math is right it seems like this is perfect.&nbsp; I am used to AC, and new to DC but I calculated it as 120W/120V=1 Amp.&nbsp; This cant be right, can it?&nbsp; <br><br>Amp(I)=Watt(P)/Volts(E)<br><br>At 12 volts I would be SOL, but 120 volts I am golden.&nbsp; What am I missing?<br>

They make a 12volt cigg lighter crock pot, just google 12 volt crock pot and you'll see it.

<P>I have seen those but have heard they do not work well.&nbsp; Plus, it is my understanding that at 12 volts all heating elements tend to struggle.&nbsp; At 120 volts and 120 Watts seems great, but I feel like I am doing math wrong somehow.</P>

I've not tried the crock pot, but I have a Road Pro 12 volt oven that I just love! All the truck stops sell them, it looks just like the old workmans black lunchbox. I've cooked corn bread, cookies, fish sticks, pizza, and burritos in it, all with outstanding results. Highly recommended. Bob<br>

I like it! And it's a little bit cheaper than the crock pot.

Hmm...How bad does it drain your starter battery?&nbsp; Ever have any problems?<br><br>I think I have given up on the crock pot.&nbsp; Think I will go for a pressure cooker and maybe that Road Pro or something similar.<br>

I have solar panels so during the day I can use the Road Pro all I want. I don't use it at night. I made brownies from a mix today for the first time. Turned out really well! I love my Roadpro oven. What works better is a solar oven and it doesn't use propane or electrictiy. There is an article on the site about my solar oven. <br><br>I just noticed your electrical question. You did do something wrong. When you use the formula to find amps when the item is 110 volt and run off an inverter, you divide by 12, not 110. So if it is a 110 volt crock-pot that uses 120 watts, but you are running it on an inverter, you divide by 12, not 110. 120/12=10 amps. Bob<br>

<P>Thanks Bob, I looked up some equations and that was the second calculation I came up with.&nbsp; Glad I sorted it out, no crock pot for me.&nbsp; No solar panels so the Road Pro is probably not a good idea either.</P>

How about a dutch oven? No &nbsp;power, just coals.<div><br></div>

What the crockpot works well for is driving! We use a regular 110v model while cruising down the road. We keep it in the sink and run it off our inverter which works very well. It works fine when on shore power too of course, but when we are parked, we just use a pressure cooker on LP which is quicker and more efficient.