Cricket unlimited has been pretty good so far

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IGBT

Reaction score
We are into our 2nd month on Cricket's $65 unlimited data and voice.  We don't tether but do cast the Moto X Pure HD screen to a big TV.  We have had good coverage and have streamed about 55GB of HD at good quality just in the last two weeks.

We switch one of our Cricket phones to unlimited and left the other at 10 gigs and a hotspot. That gives us the data and coverage we need affordably. I haven't noticed throttling nor seen it reported on Howard forums where people are reporting hundreds of gigs monthly.

Supposedly Cricket runs off ATT towers, so should get good signal at my place, If I knew for sure I would try it, as I tether off my ATT GoPhone

The downsides to Cricket are that there is no roaming, it is limited to 8 Mbps and tethering is not allowed currently on the unlimited plan. For us, it is rare to have no service in our travels, 2 Mbps is enough to stream and we keep one plan with tethering to cover those needs.

The no tethering is a bummer but casting from a powerful phone allows decent browsing and great streaming of TV.  I bought a Bluetooth keyboard which with the TV turns the Moto X Pure into almost a laptop.

A friend of mine who has cricket said tethering was allowed for an xtra $5 a month, even on unlimited, was she misinformed? maybe i should ask at a cricket kiosk
I do know one other fellow who had nothing but trouble with them

Tethering on the 5 and 10 gig plans is $10 a month and only from certain Cricket phones. Mirror casting or using a corded adapter along with a keyboard gives a very desktop experience as long as your phone can handle everything you need to do. Flash and Java are what requirers the need of a computer for me and necessitates the use of a hotspot.

Honestly I don't need a full PC, I just have one because that's what I bought at the time
Mirror casting is using a TV for the screen (or maybe and extant monitor)? I'm not real tech savvy, but my main problem with 'just a phone' is the screen size / lack of keyboard
unlimited sure sounds good, and 8 mbps is plenty to stream video and surf

I'll vouch for Cricket's unlimited plan as well. I get LTE service all over Los Angeles and Orange County, where I'm at. I've connected to my brother's wifi at his place (uses Charter) and had to get back on Cricket's network because it was a bit more reliable. Not sure it Cricket is THAT good of if his home internet is THAT bad... maybe a little of both?

Streaming YouTube videos in HD takes about 10 seconds for the pixels to clear up after hitting the play button - if that makes any sense. So the 8Mbps makes itself evident even if just for a bit but that doesn't bother me none. but again, might just be me and the phone I'm using more than the service.

I work smack dab in the middle of the office building where my old service provider, TMobile, left me with absolutely no service. Made the switch and have never been happier since I can now browse CRVL forums when I should be working! Not as good as Verizon, but pretty darn close. And for the price it can't be beat.

To clear up any confusion, it's $70/month for the plan and you receive a $5 bill credit if you sign up for autopay. Two thumbs way up, highly recommended, all that good stuff.

ArtW said:
Honestly I don't need a full PC, I just have one because that's what I bought at the time
Mirror casting is using a TV for the screen (or maybe and extant monitor)? I'm not real tech savvy, but my main problem with 'just a phone' is the screen size / lack of keyboard
unlimited sure sounds good, and 8 mbps is plenty to stream video and surf

Mirror casting is wirelessly displaying your phones screen on a smart TV or something like a Amazon fire stick connected to a dumb TV. Some phones do it better than others so there is also the option of using a MHL & OTA adapter that will connect your phone to the HDMI port of your TV via a cord . With it you can use a corded keyboard. Either way you could use a USB keyboard.

Mirror casting with a S5 is better with my other phones when it comes to video. Any of them will handle basic web viewing. I use a adapter with my S4 and the picture is wonderful.