credit freeze

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossylog8

Reaction score
Most people  today use credit and debit cards when we travel, but what would we do if suddenly  they quit working?  ATMs quit dispensing cash.  I know I sound like a doomsday prepper, but it could happen. We came within hours of a credit freeze in 08. There was an electronic run on the banks. When/if that were to happen, not only would merchants not trust you, but the banks wouldn't trust other banks.
    My main concern would be to get to home base or a secure location and hunker down.  Food, water, and security are top priorities.   Having lots of cash would be great too.   Anyway,  it's something to think about.  What say you?

I have a stash of supplies, and cash at home, but when on the road, I don't carry much. I do carry a GHB (get home bag) in my car/truck at all times, which would give me an emergency supply of everything I may need on an extended walk home. I refuse to be a helpless victim.

Carrying cash is very dangerous these days due to "guilty until proven innocent" asset forfeiture laws. That said, having a small stash of cash (something you can afford to lose) for emergencies is wise. Food is most important, though. I always have at least 25 lbs bag of rice on hand, as my basic staple. Along with the other food in my RV we're good for a month or more without supplementation. We start out with 81 gallons of water when boondocking, so rationed, that can last a while too. It all depends on how long you think the collapse will last. My RV uses regular gas, which will be easier to find than diesel after a collapse, but it will still be rare and pricey. It's best to bug out to a "safer" area, find a good boondocking spot away from population centers and near water (where there's fish, foraging and game, if possible) and hunker down till the worst of it blows over. A water filter is a worthwhile investment, even if it's just one of those survival straws, just to get you through the worst of it, as most of these kinds of things end quickly - no more than a month or so. But just a few days without water in the desert can be a severe hardship, if not fatal.

I used to have a couple bug-out bags containing 3+ days of essentials, but since I have aged, I find this impractical as I am now tied to my RV. I go where it goes. Also my threat assessment has changed over the 20 years since I left the Army - I no longer consider a nuclear or chemical emergency/terrorist attack a high enough priority to prepare for, as I once did. It's good to go through the mental "what if" exercise even for what you may consider extremely unlikely scenarios, such as an EMP attack (which would make credit cards useless for a very long time), nuclear or chemical spill from a train wreck, plant explosion, etc,. to a simple monetary collapse, hyperinflation or devaluation of the dollar due to a trade war, natural disaster, or any number of reasons.

As a Hurricane Katrina survivor, (I've actually lived through several hurricanes.) I've seen the total devastation of an entire region of the country, where my banks were underwater (literally). I went into a home depot in Florida to buy a small generator and my debit card was declined because they had no way of verifying funds. Luckily I had my inlaws there buy it and I reimbursed them. But what do you do when this is not possible and you need food or other essentials? Coming back most gas stations were closed because of no power, and the ones that were pumping gas (as they had a generator) typically had a 5 gallon limit and all were cash only.

I do have some precious metals, gems, and jewelry but you will only get a tiny fraction of their value in an actual emergency if it is severe enough to require barter rather than dead presidents. In desperate situations like this, remember safety is paramount because "zombies" (folks who who don't prepare and who are in desperate need) will resort to violence to take what they need. Think post-Katrina marauding gangs and martial law in New Orleans and the surrounding area. I lived through earthquakes and riots in L.A. too - not fun. Remember ammo will get you food (or let you keep what you have) easier than food will get you ammo.

Chip

Ditto, plus I have two long range (16 miles) walkie talkies with rechargeable batteries if my wife and I have to separate and cell towers are down. Good for natural and man made disasters. I of course can recharge the batteries by solar. I also keep a safety straw ready to go. It can purify water from a pond or stream. A couple of silver dollars in hand and you might be able to trade for food,,, or be robbed.

mossylog said:
My main concern would be to get to home base or a secure location and hunker down.  Food, water, and security are top priorities.   Having lots of cash would be great too.   Anyway,  it's something to think about.  What say you?

I think that there are far more realistic things to worry about than this.

“Carrying cash is very dangerous these days due to "guilty until proven innocent" asset forfeiture laws.”

Interestingly, the “civil asset forfeiture laws” that were instituted after 9/11/2001 were discussed just this morning on the commuter train, and we were warned to stop carrying cash in our cars on U.S. highways because supposedly law enforcement officers are legally authorized to steal cash from travelers in all fifty states, and have been doing so nationwide for several years!

It's OK--the North Koreans will invade and fix everything.

I saw the movie.

No one (in their right mind) is going to invade the US, there's too many guns here,,,, they'll just drop a bomb and clean it up later :D

So, I went through this thought experiment in 1999, and realized that hoarding precious metals is silly: you can't eat them. So, what WOULD be useful to stockpile? I took my clues from the Mormons who used to be my neighbors. A sealed bucket of freeze dried foods, sealed drums of water, and at least 6 months worth of prescription medicines. To use for barter: ammo, salt, sugar, tobacco, coffee, tea (the last 3 I learned from pioneers in Virginia, not Mormons!). Cooking oil is always one of the first things to run short in siege situations, as is cooking gas.

Now that I am mobile, I try to keep my stock rotated and be ready to hunker down if necessary.

The Dire Wolfess

if history shows us anything (i.e. Venezuela earlier this year and Zimbabwe 10 years ago)
wealthy people will be useless and creative, crafty, and entrepreneurial people will 'find a way' to gather the goods and services they need.

after all, necessity is the mother of invention.

Moxadox said:
So, I went through this thought experiment in 1999, and realized that hoarding precious metals is silly: you can't eat them.  So, what WOULD be useful to stockpile?  I took my clues from the Mormons who used to be my neighbors.  A sealed bucket of freeze dried foods, sealed drums of water, and at least 6 months worth of prescription medicines.  To use for barter: ammo, salt, sugar, tobacco, coffee, tea (the last 3 I learned from pioneers in Virginia, not Mormons!).  Cooking oil is always one of the first things to run short in siege situations, as is cooking gas.  

Now that I am mobile, I try to keep my stock rotated and be ready to hunker down if necessary.  

The Dire Wolfess

During the run-up to Y2K, my panicked mother called to ask me whether she should turn all her savings into gold. I told her that if she wanted to buy metal to use for trade/currency, iron bars would be better than gold.

It's important to be prepared, but not to go overboard with this stuff. I was working for a small bank at the time, and a few of our customers did cash out their accounts, including their investment accounts, to buy gold. I knew of one couple who also sold their home. 

One snowy winter, the electricity went out in an expensive suburb in the hills, and power was not restored until nearly 10 days had passed. I think a minimum of two weeks supply of non-perishables is doable for almost everyone - when I have more storage space, I like 3 months. Seems to me that more than that is venturing into such low-probability events as to not be cost-effective.