Crash landing into Van dwelling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboVoyager

Reaction score
Hi Guys Im 57 y/o guy with MS (multiple sclerosis), im fairly healthy...most ppl wouldnt tell i have MS (sometimes called invisible symptoms disease). I lived in a 34 FT camper trailer in a Orlando area Campground years ago for 3 years, done some minor van dwelling back then too. Im strongly considering the full time van dweller lifestyle as im having a tough time keeping up with expenses living in a house. Originally was going to try this next winter but to avoid some hassle & expense i might try this winter even tho im not ready...(gulp). I do a little online sales so internet access is important (just got a MIFI for $3 at flea market...is that a sign?! lol). I currently have 2 minivans, the nice rust free 120 K miles 03 Dodge caravan will be for sale in Orlando / Tampa FL area when i get there in NOV. My other 89 Turbo Chrysler Voyager woody minivan engine threw a piston, have a rebuilt engine for it (any mechanics wanna work on her?). My Hobby is alternative health ways, like to help ppl live healthier lifestyles mostly with simple improvements, you would be very shocked how well these things work! I love antiques, flea markets, yard sales, estate sales, vintage paper items: photos, postcards etc.... Hopefiully i can get enough $ from the sale of the 03 caravan to pay for my other van engine install then i will be free to  be a real van dweller! Thx! Tim (AKA Turbo Voyager)                                                                         minivan.jpg

Attachments

• minivan.jpg
    minivan.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 11
Welcome to the forum. Your knowledge and experience with alternative health ways is a very good thing to have/practice.

Is there any reason you wouldn't choose the newer dodge caravan to travel/live in?

Welcome Tim to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Hi Tim TurboVoyager - welcome to the forum and I hope you get into vanlife soon. I am now living in the van... after many months on this forum while planning it... but I'm having trouble casting off all my possessions of the past that won't fit into the van. I'm working on that now. I must be done by the 20th so I'm doing the obvious thing - reading the forum and writing comments.

This made me laugh out loud!  I have a year to de-clutter, and I'm still here reading :)  (ps. I did go through 4 boxes today, yay me)

Welcome!  You won't find a better crowd to guide you in this journey.

I like the picture of your turbo Voyager, it reminds me of my first van ( a burgundy 1985 short wheelbase Dodge Caravan with the 2.2L 4 cylinder motor. It didn't have a turbo, but did have a 5 speed manual transmission. We camped alot out of the back of that van, and used a blowup air mattress, and was able to close all the doors, but still had ventilation from open windows, along with a mini-fan.

We always took along a 4 person upright tent for our "stuff", and usually cooked over the open fire.

badmotorscooter said:
Welcome to the forum.  Your knowledge and experience with alternative health ways is a very good thing to have/practice.

Is there any reason you wouldn't choose the newer dodge caravan to travel/live in?
.......................................................................................................................................

These turbo minivans are very popular, theres at least 3 Facebook pages devoted to these vans, so they hold their value at least somewhat, easy & cheap to work on. They haul a LOT of weight even up mountains, some ppl even haul small cars, small trailers with them. They are a LOT of fun to drive & show off...everywhere i go someone loves on it (conversation piece) & last reason is money...Im on SSI so... I have a newer 03 Caravan (for sale or trade for engine install on my turbo van), the 03 van is very dependable reliable but its not really a hauler with the 3.3 engine. New model caravans are more powerful but $ is the prob.

ckelly78z said:
I like the picture of your turbo Voyager, it reminds me of my first van ( a burgundy 1985 short wheelbase Dodge Caravan with the 2.2L 4 cylinder motor. It didn't have a turbo, but did have a 5 speed manual transmission. We camped alot out of the back of that van, and used a blowup air mattress, and was able to close all the doors, but still had ventilation from open windows, along with a mini-fan.

We always took along a 4 person upright tent for our "stuff", and usually cooked over the open fire.
........................................................................................................................................................

Nice! That 5 spd trans & linkage etc.... is worth good $ now as the auto trans are crap so ppl swap them out for the 5 spd for a killer van set up

travelaroundHi Tim TurboVoyager - welcome to the forum and I hope you get into vanlife soon. I am now living in the van... after many months on this forum while planning it... but I'm having trouble casting off all my possessions of the past that won't fit into the van. I'm working on that now. I must be done by the 20th so I'm doing the obvious thing - reading the forum and writing comments

................................................................................................................................................
Yes scaling down seems to be a big issue for us all. I would really like something like a van style ambulance, or a high top chevy van but i gotta do with what i got....good luck!

SheketEchad said:
This made me laugh out loud!  I have a year to de-clutter, and I'm still here reading :)  (ps. I did go through 4 boxes today, yay me)
........................................................................................................................................
oh we all know about that stuff...im trying to find creative ways to deal with it. I always love to think out of the box (<get it? out of the box... ha ha)

TurboVoyager said:
but i gotta do with what i got....good luck!

Welcome to CRVL TurboVoyager, 

"gotta do with what i got" I think I'm going to make the my motto. Wait! --- I just added it to my signature  :)
I have been working with what I got since March. A 2007 Honda Civic is my tow vehicle which has been very limiting. And I built my own 4x8 TTT (tiny travel trailer) mostly from stuff I have around or could get for free. an example: Interior liner is cardboard, it was free and works better then you might think.

Wish I could help with your engine install, but that level of auto mechanics is beyond my skill set 

Obviously I'm financially challenged too, so I sympathize with you and definitely identify with my new motto. Thank You

wow long time doing this!  If you know any reasonable dependable mechanics around central / west FL let me know. Glad to know you found my moto inspiring ;)   Tim

TurboVoyager said "wow long time doing this!  If you know any reasonable dependable mechanics around central / west FL let me know. Glad to know you found my moto inspiring 
wink.gif
   Tim"

Tim, I hale from Florida originally and I know a very good, dependable, REASONABLE mechanic.  However, he is in the Pinellas County region.  If that is not too far away for you, let me know and I'll pass on his details.  I send everyone I know to him because he is so fair and will not charge you for something you don't need, and will even tell you if say, the dealership says you need new brakes "You don't need brakes.  Come back in a year and we'll see then".  I even save up anything to do with my vehicle (within reason) to have done at his shop when I am down visiting in Florida.   And he works on darn near everything.  

TurboVoyager: "If you know any reasonable dependable mechanics around central / west FL let me know." 

Sorry my friend, I'm in NJ and my great mechanic retired 4 years ago. I'm still trying to replace him. 
Looks like SheketEchad has a lead for you hope that helps

SheketEchad said:
TurboVoyager said "wow long time doing this!  If you know any reasonable dependable mechanics around central / west FL let me know. Glad to know you found my moto inspiring 
wink.gif
   Tim"

Tim, I hale from Florida originally and I know a very good, dependable, REASONABLE mechanic.  However, he is in the Pinellas County region.  If that is not too far away for you, let me know and I'll pass on his details.  I send everyone I know to him because he is so fair and will not charge you for something you don't need, and will even tell you if say, the dealership says you need new brakes "You don't need brakes.  Come back in a year and we'll see then".  I even save up anything to do with my vehicle (within reason) to have done at his shop when I am down visiting in Florida.   And he works on darn near everything.  
...........................................................................................................................................................
OH I didnt notice your mechanic response.... what town is he in? name of shop?  P.S. I might have a guy can do it but it but as you know its ALWAYS pays to have a back up! THX! 
Tim (AKA Turbo Voyager)

"OH I didnt notice your mechanic response.... what town is he in? name of shop? P.S. I might have a guy can do it but it but as you know its ALWAYS pays to have a back up! THX! Tim (AKA Turbo Voyager)"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Rick is in Pinellas Park, near 275 and US 19 off of 66th Street N. The name of the shop is Grease Monkey Garage and the number is 727-544-6654.

Tell him Sunny referred you, if you speak to him.