Cranky Old Fart-ina getting ready to Van-ish

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy!

Depending on how far you want to travel from Happy Valley, there's an awesome mechanic up in Layton. He only charges $20-$40 labor, and you buy the parts and other stuff like oil or whatever fluids. Most dealerships or auto shops charge $90+ an hour and always get the name brand parts that cost a fortune and sometimes aren't any better than a carefully chosen refurbished or generic kind.
The only thing he couldn't do for me recently was an electrical issue with my ignition. Otherwise, all my car fixes are done by him and I save hundreds of dollars!

He also has a box truck that he's working on. He keeps saying "If I buckle down, I can get it finished in 2 months" ....a'course he's been saying that for over a year LOL

That's awesome news Vivid-Dawn! Can you PM me his contact info?

johnny b - I know what you mean about the squeaks. It concerned me too. All of the supports have a washer between them at the joint. I was wondering how they would work with teflon-style washers?

How much land would you want to homestead.  Does Utah have any laws/limits on what qualifies for Agriculture Tax rate on homestead size property ? 

The step van converted to a "Rolling Tiny Home" could have you both living quarters and mobility to park on a  small homestead.  Then if you were to buy or build a storage building for a studio there you could generate your art products for intervals before loading the step van to go to art and craft shows to sell.  Then when at these shows you will have living quarters during the show. 

In time you may even find a small used utility trailer to haul your inventory to the shows.

I see these used light weight aluminum jobs sold to the pubic once they are retired from service.

Enclosed4x8Large.png

These storage buildings set up to convert to tiny homes are becoming more common in my area.

14-X-36-Lofted-Barn-Cabin.jpg

I could imagine it with a bathroom/shower and kitchenette in one end, rain gutters ducted into a plastic
storage tank for a cistern, and solar water heating and electric panels to help with off grid living.  Then you would only need some form of agriculture to be self sustaining off grid.  Propane for heat would likely be your main expense.   But with the Van, a building, and trailer you could have the trailer to store materials to be converted,  the studio, and Van living area.  Once the materials are converted they could be stowed in the trailer and towed to market with the Van if you are going to sell at shows...you have a place to stay in the Van
and locker for the art goods with the trailer.   Before returning home you could purchase more materials so the trip pays both ways.

If you license our homestead as a agribusiness you may qualify for reduced taxes on your property and the trips in the Van may get your fuel written off as a cost of business. A good accountant may be able to set your building, Van, and Trailer up as "capital equipment" where you can enjoy some tax benefits with it.

You would only need to figure out what kinds of agricultural products you would want to raise whether it be
animal or vegetable.  Possibly "some" of it could could be converted into material for your art projects.  ::)

The Van, trailer, and building would cost way less than $10,000.  Then there is the cost of a qualifying amount of land....which will take a little research.

dhawktx said:
I'm definitely OTHER!

I am more of a 3D artist - costuming, fiber arts (currently have a floor loom, spinning wheel, multitude of hand spindles, knitting needles and crochet hooks, 3 or 4 sewing machines, serger, cutter plotter), etc. I also design for ball jointed doll collectors, mostly lasercut knock-down furniture and custom-printed small scale fabrics. And I have loads of books, CDs, and DVDs. 

I am a prime candidate for homesteading so that I can cheaply store my stationary goods yet access them when needed, as well as winter or summer there (depending on the weather extremes wherever I buy the land). Right now they are set up in an RV storage unit where I can get to the boxes but only have to pay $100 a month to store them.
Awkkk!!   Squeeeee!  Is there a way for this newbie to follow that newbie on this forum?  Because I could have written your first post, and a few after.  I'm currently doing a minimalist small scale "try-out" in my Minivan.  Just 2 short trips so far.  Brought my Kromski Minstrel wheel on the first two trips, but scared of anything bashing her delicate footmen.  So today FedEx brings me a Schaacht Sidekick (folding wheel).  

I SO agree with you - for purposes like yours and mine, I also don't want a built-out RV of any sort.  I do believe in having a twin or narrower bed setup (with easy-pullout, active OR inactive, storage underneath) simply because any unfolding bed still requires the space it will take once unfolded and I would hate having to move "a room" to access it.  But I cannot see, for my own purposes, the value of the sheer weight involved in wood build-outs, let alone 3/4" here, 3/4" there involved in cabinetry... meaning the space (added up) that those boards would take.  I'm so looking toward plastic Sterlite drawer units, shelf units, stackable milk crates (which have holes for easy securing to wall bolts but can be lined with 6-mil or higher plastic sheeting).  In a finished state, I would love to accommodate drum carder, fiber combs and all my dyeing equipment, plus room for fleece/roving.  Add to that a convertible full office for business in my case (bench seat of which would likely have something to do with the bed).  However, all extremely multi-tasky convertible, moveable and lightweight.  Minimal board construction (pretty much bed only via open-frame for storage) and maaaaybe something to do with a sink).  Beyond that, no interior construction.

So with about a week on you in joining this forum, I join in the Welcome Committee!  Yay!

Utah Homesteading

http://www.ehow.com/how_6888603_do-homestead-property-utah_.html

Utah legal services/homesteads

http://www.utahlegalservices.org/pu...n/begin-questions-answers-homestead-exemption

Find Law/ Utah Homesteading

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/utah-law/utah-homestead-laws.html

Consider this.  You build a small barn building that is wide enough to provide a studio with bath and kitchenette. On the other side you have a garage for the Van. Thus the Van is indoors and out of the elements.    The trailer would be the only thing outdoors.  If the barn is positioned with the studio  facing
south windows could help heat during in the winter months when you are working inside.

In time you may find a small older Pick Up truck or station wagon to use as a grocery getter/errand runner.

This could provide the best of all possible worlds for you and be within the homestead parameters.

OTW - I'm definitely traveling light as far as the fiber tools go - I can pack washed fiber into pillow covers until I get them spun up, and then I'm pretty fast with a spindle and hand cards, very old school. Knitting and crochet tools are easily stowed too!

I'm curious - has anyone tried to use gimbeled stove tops (marine style) to allow a level surface when parked on the street?

View attachment 4614View attachment 4613View attachment 4612Since you mentioned having issues with normal cots: Here's a cot that I bought recently at Gander Mountain (called their "Mojo Cot")and have been really happy with.  I have had zero problems with squeeking and it's the bungee support system that sold me on it to begin with.  Really comfortable and folds up to a nice compact size. I know G.M. have no stores out west but for the rest of us...in case you're interested.

Since I've not gotten a van in time to prep for winter here in Provo, I've been searching for a less expensive apartment that is not also loaded with druggies, crazies, and alchoholics.

I had a cool bit of Serendipity today. Came across an ad for an 'RV model home' for rent. Turns out it's at the local KOA. There's a company that is bringing in used but good condition 5th Wheel RVs, getting a big discount on the spaces for the winter, and then renting them out. The smallest, with a single slide out, will go for $450 monthly, which is what I'm shooting for. So I can experience a bit of camping while verifying that I can stand it. And whether I'm really cut out to downsize to a van!

The rates go up in April. Right now the lady handling rentals estimates it will increase by $100. Utilities require a $600 deposit and that I pay for electricity and propane each month. The deposit is fully refundable upon moving out. The company is working to fill the campground for the winter so will be bringing in batches of RVs over the next few months - until the snow's too deep to set them up probably.
This was the first batch they've set up.

I think you are making a good decision to try it for awhile just to see.   You won't be hurt for the cost and if you can save up some money while doing this, then by April you will have had time to look at available Vans to find your best deal as a research project.   Even if you decide not to continue on the Van living path. 

If you do get cabin fever, remember you can always get out and go to public places such as Public Libraries,
Malls, Museums, get on a city bus and ride it around the town until you wind up back where you started just to
see the town without having to drive.  Those sort of things break the monotony of being in confined quarters.

Well, I'm closer to moving into the rental RV! I've cleared the background check, have the deposit waiting, just need to put the apartment into storage and clean up the apartment.

On Thanksgiving week.

And I work retail for Black Friday.

Oy!

Wow a rental....you really DO want to get on the road!
Those ain't cheap.
Happy Trails To You !

EDIT:
If you need any instructions on how to use a rental RV just watch Robin Williams' movie RV skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Ha Popeye! I'm not moving it. What these guys are doing is bringing in used 5th wheels that they bought from private owners. They get a bulk discount from the KOA here in Springville and they keep more of the campground's spaces full in the winter. So I'll get a chance to live in a 5th wheel for a few months (till April, when the rent goes up for summer rates). It's so hard to find an apartment in this area for a single adult because almost all the rentals are geared for the LDS college students.

Ohhhh, that's very different..............never mind ! (Gilda Radner / SNL)

Wishing you a successful test run !,,,,,errrrr park !

Thanks rvpopeye! I set up the cat in the RV while I was loading the truck with stuff to go into storage. She chewed me out for a good 2 hours when I finished and came home. By the next morning she was fine, then last night she got herself stuck under the couch/futon. Luckily I was able to use the flip down access rather than try to work the fold down function to make space for her to get out.