Craigslist

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is amazing. Any further comment on this would turn political.

Forewarned is forearmed.

We all need to find the appropriate balance between being too scared to leave our homes and walking around totally ignorant of the very real dangers that exist in this world.

I'm always struck by the number of times I read a newspaper story about something that happened, and everybody is going:  "But how could this happen here?  This is a safe neighborhood!"

Sounds like the media just trying to stir the pot and instill more fear.
gsfish said:
I'm too frightened of big trucks used as a weapon at the moment to think of anything else. After all, the TSA says this has been done 4 times in the last 3 years WORLDWIDE!
...!

Guy
Always have to think like a motorcyclist, all those "vehicles" are "vaguely guided missiles" out to kill and destroy, from the smart car to the industrial dump truck. Does the intent of the driver matter in the slightest when the outcome is the same? And the fact we play most collisions off as "accidents" rather than collisions causes by negligence doesn't help the people respect the responsibility of operating such a machine.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'm always struck by the number of times I read a newspaper story about something that happened, and everybody is going:  "But how could this happen here?  This is a safe neighborhood!"

I never understood both people's nativity that anything can happen anywhere so why is it surprising?  Nor people's fear of the things that will most likely never happen vs things that have a higher probability (yet statistically still not that high) to happen.  

The leading cause of death to people under 44 is unintentional accident, roughly 50k people die this way every year.  44 and over.  Roughly 160k people die from Cancer, the leading cause of death for people aged 45 to 64.  And 64 and over 477k people every year die of heart failure, the number one cause of death for that age bracket.  

Since 9/11 Foreign born Terrorists killed on average, one American a year!
Sharks kill about 16 people per year

And since it's inception, Craigslist has been traced to 101 murders.  Those happened over the span of 21 years, so roughly a bit under 5 people a year.

3000 people die every year from choking on food. How come more people aren't scared of choking on food? It's more dangerous than terrorists, craigslist killers, Sharks, and Bears combined.

I think that the saddest part of terrorism is that there are people among us in this world who are so misanthropic as to do everything in their power to encourage such behavior.

i used to collect sports cards and in doing so my thoughts on odds completely changed,before 1 in 10 seemed against the odds but after pulling so many rare cards,1 in 1000 is a give me

if something would happen to 1 in 1000 americans that would meen it would happen to 321,400 people

i'll take or avoid depending on what it is 1 in 1000 all day long

if isis just posted time and location i bet they would have a lot of volunteers to meet them :D

if you dont think isis is an issue just google isis executions and after a few hundred or thousand you might just change your views

While CL meets have been used to rob and kill, the incidents are very few. When a buddy meets a CL contact for a sale or buy, we are both carrying, and I am his "security". We also do the meet in a public area with other people close by. Mall parking lots are good. Maintain situational awareness.
Terrorist acts too are thankfully few and far between. Don't let the fear keep you from enjoying life. Use common sense and be careful, but don't let the tangoes win by default.

Gary68 said:
if something would happen to 1 in 1000 americans that would meen it would happen to 321,400 people

i'll take or avoid depending on what it is 1 in 1000 all day long

Yeah, if only 1/100th of 1% of a 1.6 billion worldwide population of a group would like to see us all die, that's a LOT of people with mayhem on their minds - and I'm sure it's a lot more than 1/100th of 1%

Fear
Preparedness /situational awareness
Huge diference
I don't think I'm gonna be in a wreck today, no reason to wear my seat-belt at all
I doubt any drivers actually want to kill me specifically, I think I'll ride without my helmet
I have mud tires, I don't need recovery gear

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Forewarned is forearmed.

We all need to find the appropriate balance between being too scared to leave our homes and walking around totally ignorant of the very real dangers that exist in this world.

I used  to have a roommate that left the front door unlocked at night.  I told her someone could burglarize us, but she would say, nothing's ever happened here before...I told her there's a first time for everything...People just don't get it until something happens to them...

The concept of terrorism is that with little or no action on their part, they can affect the behavior of many with the fear of what could happen. Were the few actions that have actually happened in relationship to the size of the populace not enough, our government and media revels in pushing the fear factor up for the gain in control and profit.

In this case it is often noted that meeting in a public place is the safest measure to be taken with a craigslist ad. It isn't the first time someone has use some form of public advertising to scam or harm another, it just didn't have the labels applied that this does. It can be a ugly world out there, be careful and use common sense.

That's true, and one of the advantages of an attitude of situational awareness is, since I already take precautions, these thinks make little, if any, diference to me
It's mostly folks who are oblivious who read these posts and flip out

The bottom line with the truck threat is that you could never take precautions against it, so how does anyone suggest being aware? Do we look at the hundreds of trucks that pass us every day with suspicion? Sounds like a useless exercise to me.

jimindenver said:
In this case it is often noted that meeting in a public place is the safest measure to be taken with a craigslist ad.

The ISIS article specifically suggested that they advertise an apartment for rent, so the victim would have to meet them there to examine the apartment.

I could also see them advertising a vehicle that had no license plates and therefor couldn't be driven to a public meeting.  You'd have to go look at it in their back yard . . .

IanC said:
The bottom line with the truck threat is that you could never take precautions against it, so how does anyone suggest being aware? Do we look at the hundreds of trucks that pass us every day with suspicion? Sounds like a useless exercise to me.

The same way a motorcyclist takes precautions against every 4 wheeled vehicle on the road, consider all of them a risk, and watch for telltales of stupid road behavior
You can often tell what vehicles are doing well in advance of most folks by watching front tires / assessing how fast they lose / gain speed in response to traffic

it's often said in the MC community
when you drive a car, you drive for you
When you ride a MC you drive for everyone
My riding awareness transfers to my driving, and makes me a better driver, too, though in a car you have fewer escape options

Optimistic Paranoid said:
The ISIS article specifically suggested that they advertise an apartment for rent, so the victim would have to meet them there to examine the apartment.

I could also see them advertising a vehicle that had no license plates and therefor couldn't be driven to a public meeting.  You'd have to go look at it in their back yard . . .

This isn't new, it wasn't to long ago it happened and had nothing to do with ISIS, it was just a nut case. It was happening with want ads before there was craigslist.

jimindenver said:
This isn't new, it wasn't to long ago it happened and had nothing to do with ISIS, it was just a nut case. It was happening with want ads before there was craigslist.

Perhaps so, but I just see the problem increasing in the future as their other options get closed down.

I have no specific advice on how to counter it, but being aware of a problem sure beats being ignorant of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts