Coyotes, birds of prey and my 20lb (max) dog?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
" A guy on another forum I frequent suggested I die " LOL that's one hell of a spell correct you got there Putts. highdesertranger

should have just blamed it your auto correct spell checker. that's what it was wasn't it? highdesertranger

Bob in the wet west coast of BC you need a flare gun to start a camp fire. The coastal mountains are an extension of the olympic peninsula and officially a rain forest. Our interior is a different story and is currently on fire. So yes situational awareness is paramount always.

Flare guns to start a fire may work in a tiny part of the west, in 90% (probably much more) they are a terribly dangerous and destructive idea.

We may want to let people know that when we make suggestions.

thanks Bob I saw that and didn't know what to say. learn to start a fire the correct way. I do know this, using a flare gun in a non emergency situation is illegal and shooting a tracer, flare or other incendiary projectile on BLM or Forest Service land is also illegal. highdesertranger

My bad and you are both correct. I was attempting to interject a little humor and failed miserably. I will endeavor to be a little less jocularity and a little more accurate. In the post I indicated short white shot flare. I am not at all familiar with the laws on BLM land. In Canada a signal flare is a long burning red flare fired at and angle into the air. They are to be used only to signal and emergency (Red) or Green to indicate what might be something serious to pay attention to. Like the difference between Mayday Mayday Mayday and Pan Pan Pan in radio speak. The short shot white might be more commonly called a "bear scare" it has a larger bursting charge that creates a very very loud boom and the burning chemical compound is used almost instantly to make a flash. Like the flash powders used in old photography. It is certainly not without risk in being deployed, but not as stupid as firing a red signal flare into a wooded area. I am sincerely sorry I was not more clear. My perspective was from that of the bear scare and not the signal flare and I didn't reread to see another side.