covid-19 (new corona virus)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the last 24 hrs this has taken on a new level of pandomaniam world wide. Looks to me if nothing changes like it will kill around 4% of the worlds population and that they are trying to slow down the spike in the need for hospital beds so most health care system can cope. Up to 70% of us will get this, 96% of us will survive it with flu symptoms perhaps a bit higher death rate in countries with poor health care systems and those with a unhealthy populations. On the up side too many people have been travelling so the planet will benefit from the lock downs hopefully our freedom of movement won’t be a new norm. I think this is pretty serious this is only my opinion based on the numbers and my math so far, I am not an expert.maybe they will get a vaccine sorted before those numbers materialize.

I think those numbers are the worst I have seen but.....who knows anything really since it just supposedly started in December..
I personally am pretty worried that this could be a real bad deal. But I am a bit of a paranoid germaphobe.

My wife even says that I am paranoid-- My reply is "just because I am paranoid does not make me wrong."
But, I Hope I am wrong here. t

I did notice when out running errands in my Seattle neighborhood today something that is directly related to the Nomadic community discussions.

There are always groups of RV/van/car caravans of nomadic dwellers parked together in this area, more in the summer but still plenty of them in the winter as well. Stealth is not required because it is an area that has an industrial section so the parking ordinance does not ban the larger RVs from parking on streets that do not have posted signs prohibiting overnight parking. But this week instead of seeing a dozen or more the Nomadic dwellers parked along the streets I only saw one older, quite derelict, motorhome that certainly does not appear able to travel any further than a few blocks distance now and again. I guess the rest of them that could drive further distances got the heck out of here which was a sensible choice given that it is also cold and very rainy as well as densely populated. If have a "bug out" vehicle that is what it is meant for :)

They must have determined to get out and move to unpopulated areas where hopefully the risk of human to human exposure is minimized.
They think like me --Not that my mindset is correct? I admit I am a paranoid germaphobe. t

trailer-t said:
......  I admit I am a paranoid germaphobe. 

so what if you are..... it is certainly better than being a filthy dirty scoundrel  :p

although they might be having lots of fun playing in the mud and dirt in the ATVs they haul around behind their rigs. I hear it is nice and muddy in AZ this week.

I have only heard one interview with a recovering person via the BBC, which has more information.
A young man had a cold and was getting better and then the pneumonia part.

Long term effects are unknown. In the beginning I heard lung damage and transmission via eyes.
Children drive infection.
What are they doing with bodies. and the grieving ?

If I get something, my Landlord will say I am sabotaging the sale process. He is getting ugly, $. If I report him for entering if I am contained,
I will also impede sale. The open house yesterday had three parties who scheduled and stayed 7-10 minutes.

My prayers are with you all.

In the US, 51 people have died from The Virus.  If you include DC, that's one per state.

Imagine this:  We are sitting around a campfire, roasting marshmallows, enjoying hot chocolate, singing campfire songs, telling jokes, and there is a pause and someone says, "An old person died in my state from a virus last night."  How many seconds would pass before someone asks, "Wow!  Who inherits her toilet paper??"

Okay, so worldwide there have been, what? 3,000+ deaths?  World population estimate is 7.7 billion.  Looks like this:

Population is increasing at approximately 1.08% per year.  If 3% of the population dies, it will be replaced in three years.  With a younger, stronger group.

More than that have been killed in vehicle accidents, probably way more.  More at a concert, school shootings, church bombings.  Social Distancing makes more sense but not because of a virus.  I would not be surprized if we soon hear someone was shot over...wait for it...TOILET PAPER!

51.  Fifty one.  One per state.  Think about that.

331,000 000+/- in US. 51 died since December of a virus... PANIC!!

Love the campfire and the toilet paper bit - dibs on the hand sanitizer.

Laughter, the best medicine...

Pissed at your neighbor?  Go cough on his doorknob or steering wheel.  No need to even take off that mask, it's most likely worthless anyway.

Call your heirs and tell them you are changing your will.  My rotten kids will get only cash, a house, and a nice set of diamonds.  The TP is going to the animal shelter.  HA!  They'll be sorry.

Start a brown market for TP.

Collect pine cones or leaves and sell them on Etsy.
Be sure to include "Do Not Flush" on the labels or somebody will sue you.

Build a still.  Post on FB to sell as hand sanitizer and anti-anxiety medication.

Have a great day!

OMG! Let me clarify this...

You know, illegal market. Under the table. Didn't realize how that sounded. Well crap. Oh wait! Not that. How do I shovel myself outta this one?

I had a digital, temporal thermometer in my medicine cabinet. Put new batteries in it and pushed it against my head, read 96.5 degrees...did some checking that model was recalled back in 2006...oops.

Tried to buy one locally in Seattle, no one has them, looked on Amazon, only ones left are from the price gouging scum bags. Ordered one from Chewy.com since everywhere else was sold out, even Petco is sold out of them. Yeah it is not "FDA" approved but it won't actually kill me if I use it although I might start howling along with the ambulance siren if it pulls up to take me away to the local psychiatric ward which is not a sane place to go since they admitted a patient who had Covid 19 who was not yet showing symptoms. Now another "inmate at the asylum" has it too and all of them in there have been quarantined. Good thing they were already under meds for being crazy otherwise it would quickly make them crazy. Well I guess it is "Bat Shit Crazy" since this stuff was supposed to have started in Bats. Gives a new meaning to "Bats in the Belfry" and "Bat Shit Crazy because that is going to for sure be what happens to some people who can't go anywhere if they lock down towns and cities like they have done in Italy. Also people who can't find their favorite brand of Brawny paper towels (you know who you are ;)

Of course many think this whole scenario is already "Bat Shit Crazy". Yes, I myself truly do think it is an appropriate slogan for the whole situation even though I really don't want to come down with it as I am a senior at risk. Pneumonia sucks, or rather it does not let you suck...in air. Maybe I should design a logo and start selling that for putting on T-shirts in one of those online order stores. I could also sell decals that you could all buy to put on your vans. :)

Have a nice day y'all. Smile and laugh, it is the best therapy when you are already an inmate in the huge asylum they call Seattle.

mjbeam said:
It might be smart to get exposed to the virus now if one doesn't have an underlying condition that puts them at high risk. Get it over with.
I didn't know Rick Santelli posts here.  :p :D

maki2 said:
I did notice when out running errands in my Seattle neighborhood today something that is directly related to the Nomadic community discussions.

There are always groups of RV/van/car caravans of nomadic dwellers parked together in this area, more in the summer but still plenty of them in the winter as well. Stealth is not required because it is an area that has an industrial section so the parking ordinance does not ban the larger RVs from parking on streets that do not have posted signs prohibiting overnight parking. But this week instead of seeing a dozen or more the Nomadic  dwellers parked along the streets I only saw one older, quite derelict, motorhome that certainly does not appear able to travel any further than a few blocks distance now and again.  I guess the rest of them that could drive further distances got the heck out of here which was a sensible choice given that it is also cold and very rainy as well as densely populated.  If have a "bug out" vehicle that is what it is meant for :)
Don't you mean get the "heck" out of Seattle ?

I mean "here" which is the same as saying Seattle and I did include "my Seattle neighborhood" in the first sentence. It is a brain strain to keep that kind of link up retained for a whole paragraph but when you are lazy like I am it is a challenge to have to remember to say where I am twice. It think it would help if I drank more adult beverages instead of drinking coffee. But it is Seattle, home of "Starbucks" who have now decided to close the doors and keep the customers the heck out of their stores "here" and make them stay in their cars and use drive up windows to get their fix. Remember it is Bats in the Belfry time..."here" :)

I am in panic mode...I only have 19 double sized rolls of TP left and only 11 rolls of paper towels, but at least the paper towels are selet-a-size.

How do you shutdown a country, let alone an entire planet? Now we know. Interesting, I caught part of the WH news conference on Thursday night via AM radio while camped in the middle of nowheres, then made it back to my hometown yesterday to find rain and snow after a nice 2 1/2 months in AZ. Stopped in a local grocery store about 4PM yesterday, to find the shelves 1/2 empty, after 2 days of panic buying.

First off, "next time" I go out shopping will be in the late evening when the grocery stores normally have MANY fewer people.

Secondly, a little checking found 2 bits of information. The majority of 32 deaths around Seattle have been linked to a single retirement home, bad news for older people. Thirdly, the situation in China (81,000 confirmed cases and more than 3,200 deaths) may be improving, largely due to a program of "social distancing".

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/15/seattle-ghost-town-coronavirus-ground-zero-128720

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/15/fauci-coronavirus-china-korea-130027

Also, for those who don't know, if you fill your prescriptions at the local Walmart, you are supposed to be able to get the refills at any other Walmart.

I'm not apathetic about it but since I don't watch, listen or read news material the only place I learn about any hot topic is on forums like this, usually with people in various levels of angst.

All about perspective. Keep It Sensibly Simple

MotorVation said:
...I DO care if those same people go out into the community and spread it further, especially to those at high risk.

Many people are asymptomatic. Only way to know is to get tested.   South Korea has been testing 10,000 people per day.

That's not being done in this country.  That is a fact and if 'politics' enters into the equation for some then too bad.

Latest posts