Corona Virus and BLM California

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They need to designate safe spots for full time van dwellers including providing field medical services that also benefit the host sommunity.

I’m thinking one each in the eastern Sierra, Northern Az, southern Utah, Sw Colorado, and New Mexico.

BLM and NF in Oregon have closed virtually all viable camping spots.  My plan was to self isolate in my usual spots near Crater Lake, but they are now closed.

When I built my step van I anticipted the possibility that I might need to be in an RV park, and here I am.  $300 per month gets me space, trash, water, sewer, laundry, and wifi.  Electricity is the only extra.  I an within walking distance of the Home Depot, a major grocery outlet, and a propane outlet.

To those of you who voiced displeasure at my 32" one piece fiberglass shower, my A/C, my Propex heater, my holding tanks, and my 30 amp electric service as unnecessary; Are you still in disagreement?

Yeah, I will boondock again in 18-24 months when it's safe to do so, but for now I'm enjoying unlimited hot daily showers.

From the page HDR linked, it appears that the closures relate to "developed campsites", and that ...
"While developed recreation sites are closed, most dispersed camping and trails remain open and available to the public". (my underlining).

The BLM Oregon page says:
https://www.blm.gov/press-release/blm-temporarily-closes-developed-recreation-facilities-oregon

"This closure includes all campgrounds, and some day use sites, and restrooms. Trash pickup and sanitation services on most of these recreation facilities will also be temporarily suspended.

Despite the closure of these facilities, multiple opportunities remain for the public to enjoy the outdoors as long as visitors heed orders, guidance, and advice of local and state officials and the Centers for Disease Control. BLM-managed trails and open spaces remain open across Oregon".

That was an easy enough to understand posting from BLM. Thanks for posting it.

However, like Tooley said a while back, local "counties" may institute their own closures, which can also encompass federal lands within the county. I think he mentioned the county Telluride is in.

It varies a lot. BLM in SE Utah is closed. I checked the Eastern Sierra quickly and it didn’t look good.

A medical facility can serve a large region and not crowd anyone. Do you have a better idea, or a constructive comment?

The eastern Sierra is mentioned on the page that HDR linked above, but that appears to refer to the developed campsites, as quoted. Eg, the Alabama Hills are a designated federal scenic area. However, there is also tons of BLM land along the west side of 395 going north from Lone Pine.

Hey, it's still winter in Mammoth, lol.
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Mammoth+Lakes+CA+USCA0661:1:US

People can check BLM and NF closures in the areas they're thinking of going to.

If they had an area like that accommodate nomads I would not go to many people I have been camping alone for over 2 weeks our group split up and my thought is the more people I can stay away from the better I am i do missing hanging with my group but just got to suffer through a few months atleast so we can go back to semi normal life my 2 cents

I spoke with BLM in Lakeview, OR and they said no overnight camping, day use only.  OR has closed all state campgrounds, as have most counties.
It's tough to be on the road up here.   Find a place to hunker down.

We know that pretty much all organized CGs are closed down anymore. Did you try asking the rangers if there are any places at all where there is disperse camping?

Hunkering down in an RV park for $300 a month sounds like a good option right now, where you can have electricity and running water.

There is no shortage of dispersed camp spots on USNF or BLM land in Oregon. The only closures are where people congregate such as trail heads, campgrounds, fishing spots, atv areas.

Alabama Hills is a choice dispersed camping area, Mammoth is a ski area.

What I am seeing here in SW Colorado and SE Utah is a lot of hard, universal closures that I believe is motivated by an abusive perversion of control freaks. It is a problem.

Arizona’s order specifically exempts homeless, a group we are included in.

Local interpretations could be the biggest problem, like in Arizona’s Coconino.

The concern about health care burdens is valid, but an abusive solution that increases movement and freaks people out is bad ju ju.

I’m in a safe place, but you should have a plan if you get sick or have your current area closed.

I’d also think about what you can do to help any community you are located in.

I mentioned snow at Mammoth, because as people head north from the Alabama Hills, Hwy 395 gets up over 8,000' around the Mammoth area, only about 100 miles north of Lone Pine.

Screw em...go to AZ.

After four months boondocking, mostly longer than two weeks...some minor civil disobediance, big deal... I have three places that I guarantee I could stay for a year undisturbed. If I have to, I'd head for there. One is in CA, not BLM, but county.

It's not like BLM is going to be fully patrolled, if at all, these days. Just tuck in your rig and check from the road.