Countdown to the great unshackling begins...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...albeit a long countdown.  My plan is to hit the road May of 2022 (sooner if I can swing it).

Hi all,

Not quite a 'wanderer' yet, but I will be!  I've been following Bob's youtube channel and his website for years.  In fact, I currently live in a 26-foot 5th wheel (stationary) trailer (in a beautiful park in the woods where my neighbor isn't right outside my door), thanks in large part to him and others in the community that living in a travel trailer is doable.  Who knew I'd absolutely love it!  

I've lived in my wee home since October 2015 in response to a notice from the rental company of the apartment I was living in that my sh*thole of an apartment was now going to cost me almost $1000/month. If I was going to pay that much in rent, I expected the owner to at least fix the rotting wood under the window BEFORE it actually crumbled apart.  So began the decision to finally take the leap to live simply.  Interestingly, it was the first decision I've ever made in my life that laying in bed that first night I wasn't berating myself and asking myself what the hell had I just gotten myself into.  In fact, I woke up the next morning trying to figure out what was "wrong," and realized that my mind and heart were completely clear and peaceful - a very new experience.

Almost 4 years in, and still working in soul-sucking corporate America because of my debt load, I want to live an extraordinary life, a life well-lived.  In September of 2020, I will finally pay off my car and some other bills and will begin saving for a small, used class C (I would love to live in a van, but I have to admit that I need a full bathroom and a kitchen - though I have seen some beautiful van builds that encompass both, I don't have the money to do that...maybe one day!)

Once I move into my RV and hit the road, I plan on supporting myself through sales of my jewelry (I make sterling silver jewelry) and teaching English as a second language online (funds from which I will also be putting into my 'Emergency Fund," "RV Fund," and "Base Fund," before hitting the road.)

Three years seems like a really long time, but hey, we are officially halfway through 2019 already!  So the time will pass as it does, and I will hope to meet many of you out in the boondocks and RTR  :)

Welcome Wandering Artist to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Great intro Wandering Artist. Best of luck with everything!

You'll full time before me...my departure date is April 2023....unless I win the lottery!

Wandering Artist - welcome to the forum! Great idea, to downsize and get out of that expensive apartment. Sounds like you have a good plan for the future. I've been posting here a good long time and am finally seeing my vision come into reality. There's lots to learn here.

welcome
sounds like you are on track to unshackle yourself and hit the road and enjoy your new adventures! Happy for you.

I love how you said you woke up and thought what was wrong, heehee, you woke up without 1000/mo payment gone from your life....that makes anyone less stressed and more carefree for sure LOL

Glad to hear you are living good and on your terms and working toward the goals you want to achieve. those yrs will fly by, older I get, the faster they leave :)

travelaround said:
Wandering Artist - welcome to the forum! Great idea, to downsize and get out of that expensive apartment. Sounds like you have a good plan for the future. I've been posting here a good long time and am finally seeing my vision come into reality. There's lots to learn here.

Thank you!  It looks like an amazing forum!

RoamerRV428 said:
welcome
sounds like you are on track to unshackle yourself and hit the road and enjoy your new adventures!   Happy for you.

I love how you said you woke up and thought what was wrong, heehee, you woke up without 1000/mo payment gone from your life....that makes anyone less stressed and more carefree for sure LOL

Glad to hear you are living good and on your terms and working toward the goals you want to achieve.  those yrs will fly by, older I get, the faster they leave :)

Thank you!  Ha!  That was exactly it!  No more greedy landlord.  Well, I still have a greedy landlord, but at least it's at 1/2 the cost!

I have noticed that once I hit 40, each year goes by faster exponentially!   :rolleyes:

Greedy landlord? Sheesh ever think they are trying to make a living like everyone else?

Camm I think it is more stated as 'greedy' for this landlord cause the OP wrote in the first post...…

….apartment I was living in that my sh*thole of an apartment was now going to cost me almost $1000/month. If I was going to pay that much in rent, I expected the owner to at least fix the rotting wood under the window BEFORE it actually crumbled apart.

I think it is more than just the rotting wood and if rent is going up, I get where the OP is saying greedy....more money in the landlord's pocket without putting any money into the property at all for a decent liveable place.

well that is my take on it :)

I so get ya tho, landlords do have to make a living, but there is always that line some cross.....I mean that in general, every single occupation, service, product sold etc....someone goes into greedy land as we all know :)

Cammalu said:
Greedy landlord?  Sheesh ever think they are trying to make a living like everyone else?

I don't mind landlords making a living, but I do expect them to make repairs when needed.  He wouldn't fix a rotting window frame until the window was actually going to fall out.  Nevermind that there was water coming in every time it rained. Thankfully it never did while I was there, hopefully, it's still hanging or fixed.

That's only one of the issues in my apartment, not to mention the complex itself while living there, so yes, he was a greedy landlord.

Yes they need to fix things. $1000 a month? Ouch. There are still many cheap places in the US to live.