corned beef

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
I make it, takes 6 days to cure and is gone in about 1 day. Anyone else out their. Cheap beef and with no kids around should last me a couple weeks. With eggs and potatoes in the morning yah.

I've got one in the fridge I just cooked the other day.  Letting it get cold so I can run it through my slicer.
I like to have it with sauerkraut, or ground with diced up potatoes & onions.

When I used to travel a lot more I'd get the "cans" of corned beef and take it along with my old pressure cooker.
All I had to do then was stop by a store and pick up a head of cabbage to slice up and then slice and pack the
cooker with some water and caraway seeds.   Back then I was toting an old Coleman stove along and I could
cook this up and leave it stored in the cooker and eat from it as desired for a day or so. 

I have friends who buy corned beef in the refrigeration case at the store, but instead of the typical  ways
of cooking it they put a rub on it and smoke it in their smokers.  They say it is fantastic that way and I'm
aiming to try it when I can catch a deal on the CB.

Say Wagoneer,   ya got a recipe/process for us ?   :p 

All I got is a hungry Tom Cat but I'm sure he'll leave me some of it.

I picked up a can of corned beef hash the other day at Wally. I remember it as pretty good as a teen growing up. Always carried a can on Boy Scout camp outs. It's corned beef mixed with little potatoe squares. Made great sandwiches. Also good in a skillet with eggs. One of these mornings I'll try it out and see if it's as good as I remember. They've probably reduced the salt content to try and appear healthier. But you can always add salt to pep it up if need be. :)

I can't find real corned beef hash, it all lists cooked beef with corned beef. But I still eat them.

"...corned beef in the refrigeration case at the store, but instead of the typical  ways
of cooking it they put a rub on it and smoke it in their smokers."-----I do believe that's called 'Pastrami'!

I had pastrami hash for breakfast this morning.
I just get a couple or 3 slices from the deli counter (1/4" thick).

Pre-heat a Cast Iron Skillet, add oil and butter.

1 or 2 slices (1/4 inch thick) Pastrami or corned beef from deli counter—diced.

1 medium Yukon Gold potato—diced and par boiled, drained.

Diced onion and peppers—to taste.

Salt, pepper, ancho chile powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika—to taste.

Mix well in a bowl.

Dump into hot skillet and smoosh down with back of spatula…you want a good crust to form.

After about 5 minutes, turn and cook other side.

While second side is cooking, fry some eggs over easy or sunny side up—need runny yolks, and make some toast.

Top hash with eggs, and slather with Texas Pete (or your fav) hot sauce.

Dip toast into yolks, shovel all into pie hole!

:D

Of course home made corned beef/pastrami would be best, deli counter is good, canned is fine if that's what's available....spices and seasonings are your friend.

The other day I diced up a cold hunk of pork roast and diced up a couple of potatoes, added some spices, and made hash out of it. Browned it up and topped it with a dip'n egg. Pretty darn tasty!

Lostinspace said:
I picked up a can of corned beef hash the other day at Wally.  I remember it as pretty good as a teen growing up. Always carried a can on Boy Scout camp outs. It's corned beef mixed with little potatoe squares. Made great sandwiches. Also good in a skillet with eggs. One of these mornings I'll try it out and see if it's as good as I remember. They've probably reduced the salt content to try and appear healthier. But you can always add salt to pep it up if need be. :)

I tried that with canned spaghetti Oh it was yucky.

Well canned spaghetti is yucky! I'll agree there. I tried some Chef Boy R Dee something or other the other day and that was really crappy too. No taste.

Latest posts