Cool stealth camping article

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was cool. Great to hear from someone in the know from both perspectives. When he was LEO he probably kicked a few travelers out. Now that he is one he can now talk about that experience. 6 years of experience living in his camper! Great article.

Nice article--thanks for sharing. I used to read truckcampermagazine all the time...I'm thinking I should again!

After reading the article again it caused some confusion. He states to get permission in writing. Then goes onto imply he has stayed at abandoned parking lots and stores. Well those abandoned parking lots are still owned. Does he make a call to the number for sales usually posted? Does he drive over to those management-sales offices? Also he says he will talk to owners nearby if he parks in neighborhoods. Does he get written permission or at least acknowledgment from them that they know he is there?

Overall it's still interesting article but sparse on some details.

offroad said:
After reading the article again it caused some confusion. He states to get permission in writing. Then goes onto imply he has stayed at abandoned parking lots and stores. Well those abandoned parking lots are still owned. Does he make a call to the number for sales usually posted?  Does he drive over to those management-sales offices?  Also he says he will talk to owners nearby if he parks in neighborhoods. Does he get written permission or at least acknowledgment from them that they know he is there?  

Overall it's still interesting article but sparse on some details.

The author post over on RV.net and his article and quite the discussion is in the boondocking section. Nice rig but it isn't any more "stealthy" than we could be with our trailer. They just stand out too much. Otherwise the info helps if traveling.

I am kinda glad the trailer isn't stealthy, I'm just not up to that.

offroad said:
He states to get permission in writing... he has stayed at abandoned parking lots and stores.
After saying to get permission in writing, he says "There are exceptions...".

Personally, I don't like residential neighborhoods.  I once had a neighbor who basically did nothing all day except look out her windows to see if there was anything she could call the police about.  She just liked calling the police.  I've said it before, but I've found bar parking lots are great.  Also, I'm a member of the Fraternal order of eagles, and they have parking lots.  Here's the Eagles club in Inverness, FL.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...2!3m1!1s0x88e874bb6d69d2a5:0xf43e87743e48190d

Notice the half acre behind the building, not the parking lot but behind it.  A van parked there is not visible from the road or neighbors.  I've camped there many nights.  I plan on joining the Moose and Elks as well, I'm also a member of the VFW (men's auxiliary).

HarmonicaBruce said:
After saying to get permission in writing, he says "There are exceptions...".

Notice the half acre behind the building, not the parking lot but behind it.  A van parked there is not visible from the road or neighbors.  I've camped there many nights.  I plan on joining the Moose and Elks as well, I'm also a member of the VFW (men's auxiliary).

I was thinking of moose and elk clubs also. One of then builds RV hook ups that can be rented if they are not being used. And you are a member.

When you have a rig that expensive and nice noone is going to think you are a threat to the neighborhood.