Cooking fire.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyB1954

Reaction score
It was in the news today that a 70 year old guy was cooking in a Walmart parking lot. It led to a fire that killed a child in another vehicle. He is being charged with with the death. https://www.yahoo.com/news/charges-man-charged-girls-death-214517282.html
It would seem to be an accident, but they say he was careless and caused the fire.
At first he lied about using the stove, (there was video of him cooking), that probably didn't help his position.

Be careful with hot items. Also his wife was there removing their belongings from the burning vehicle. A fire extinguisher would have been good to have.

Damn so sad all around. Always have at least one extinguisher. 2 even better cause fires can get big fast.

well there is plenty of blame to go around here.

don't cook in the Walmart parking lot.

don't leave young children unattended in a vehicle.

highdesertranger

That's tragic. I wont read the article because it would just make me sad.

When I worked at Wally we had a vehicle fire in the parking lot. Several of us ran outside to help but the manager wouldnt let us use the extinguishers. It took the fire dept about 30 mins to get there. The station was less than a mile away.

You cant depend of the firemen for your own safety. Carry extinguishers.

Alas, having a heat source inside a confined space that is filled with flammable materials is inherently dangerous.

Yes indeed. That was what happened in the fire I witnessed. The poor guy had everything he owned in his car. He had been living in the parking lot for a few days.

After the loss of everything but the clothes on his back the police finally picked him up for loitering. In between our parking lot and the home depot lot in the woods there was a tent city. The police kept raiding and locking everyone up.

This was during the recession. I'd like to think the police got these people into some sort of shelter but I know better. It was a new police dept in a recently incorporated city and they had no jail. All of their prisoners were house at rice street in the city of atlanta jail. Rice street turns you out on your ear with a one way marta ticket upon release.

We can probably expect a few more Walmarts to ban overnighting now.

Technically all walmart ban that. Even walmart trucks arent supposed to stay on premises for more than an hour or 2. The driver can come inside to shop and rest a spell but cant stay longer.

Anyone staying longer than that usually has to get permission from the store manager in person. And that's only for the parking of a vehicle. Not dwelling in it. The one I worked at would call the 5-0 on an RV parked for more than 3 or 4 hours.

Walmart corporate policy says overnight parking is ok, but it's up to the individual store manager and local laws if it's allowed.

now that I said that, I believe it to be a courtesy for people to overnight not to long term camp. like a goodwill gesture thinking in turn the person will shop at Walmart.

highdesertranger

You know now that you say that I think i have seen some places posted no overnight parking in compliance with georgia code O.C.G.A 1234abc etc. I dont remember where I have seen that. Maybe it's just a georgia specific rule.

There was a frequent customer that new our store manager and was an OTR (over the road) truck driver. He managed to draw 2 days of home off time for once and they let him park his Bob tail rig there for 48 hrs. With one requirement. He had to park on the far left of the parking lot day 1 and the far right on day 2.

XERTYX said:
Technically all walmart ban that. 
Not true.  Walmart corporate policy is to allow campers, RVs and autos to overnight in the lot. They know that we will more than likely be going inside at some time to buy something.
Individual store managers do have authority to override that policy though, so some Walmarts do not allow overnighting. In many cases this is because somebody did something stupid, like dump their toilet out onto the parking lot. In other cases it is because the municipality itself has passed an ordinance against "camping" or "overnight parking" or "sleeping in a vehicle", and they make Walmart put up signs banning it. But even in those cases, it is still up to the individual store manager whether or not they make any effort to actually enforce the ordinance. Many do not.
I've been on the road for four years now, coast to coast and border to border, staying in Walmart lots almost exclusively. They have everything I want--a safe place to park, wifi, a bathroom, and food/water. They are always my go-to place to stay in whatever town I am in.

Yes I replied to HDR about this. It's my belief that it's the state of georgia that has this ordinance.

My store specifically told everyone that asked it was against corporate policy save one or 2 occasionally parking (regular customers) .

All RVs at our store got visits from the boys in blue if they stayed more than a few hours. It was in a ritzy neighborhood and the LEO in that area were very unfriendly towards anyone that didnt drive a Lexus.

Walmart Corporate Policy:

"While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV."

That is good to know. And I'm not arguing with you. I stated that HDR corrected me and I acknowledged this fact and offered a possible reason as to why we made exception. Local laws. As in your quote.

Not all Walmarts own or have control over the parking lot where they are. If it is a shopping complex with other stores, a property management company may have control over the parking lot. Walmart may just lease the building.
The old guy was in a big hurry. He cooked outside of his van but didn't wait for the stove to cool before putting in the van and start chucking pillows at it.
His insurance may also give him a bad time if he was living in the van and did not disclose that to the insurance. They like taking the premium payments, but find a reason to cry fraud when it comes time to pay a claim.

Walmart “manners” are based upon common sense. Many people lack common sense. I have overnighted at Walmarts for many years. Here are some simple guidelines:

1> If it is posted “no overnight parking” it means you can’t stay overnight.

2> NOP  is usually a local jurisdictional restriction and nothing to do with the store itself. If the cops run you out it has nothing to do with the store.

3> Don’t ask the store manager; don’t bother him; he or she really doesn’t want to know.

4> Don’t stay overnight at Walmarts in or around big cities; they can be less safe and are probably posted NOP anyhow.

5> Don’t set up “camp”. Don’t pull out your awning. Don’t cook outside. Don’t sit outside in your lawn chair and your cooler. Stay in your vehicle; have a low profile.

6> You are a guest; Walmart is doing you a favor. Don’t be an ass; don’t leave trash and debris on the ground. When you leave it should look like you were never there.

7> Pick Walmarts in smaller cities; They are nicer and safer.

8> Above all, use COMMON SENSE!!!

My two basic rules for stealth camping are:

1. don't park where you are not wanted

and

2. don't do anything that attracts attention to either you or the vehicle

Those two things will eliminate 99.9% of all the difficulty.

age 6 and 9 left in the car alone while mom shopped. I see the biggest error of all right here. No way in hell would I leave these kids alone in a vehicle ever! Those ages are too young (in my opinion and no one here is gonna change that point blank!)

yes the man is at fault also but I hope that mother has a big awakening on her part in her children dying. UGH

a little harsh on my statement, darn right it is. my gosh the stupidity of parents and throw in no common sense on anyone's part in this horror.

Yes that's too young to be left in a car. But I doubt the mother will face any charges. I think 9 years old in my state is the age a child can be left at home alone. Although I think 12 years old is the age they can be left alone with another child.

Latest posts