convertion or cargo

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshuafarmer

Reaction score
e 250 eclipse signature series.jpghello I have been looking at conversion vans with high tops as an alternative to a cargo van that would need lots of mods. is the insulation efficient enough in these and I also like that they have a lot of storage built in already I would jiust take out seats and build from there any thoughts or opinions ?

Attachments

• e 250 eclipse signature series.jpg
    e 250 eclipse signature series.jpg
    18.9 KB
The insulation is rarely sufficient if you want good insulation. In most cases, the old fashioned pink fiberglass insulation was used because it's easy to stuff in to the openings rather than having to cut polyiso to fit.

A lot of people who start off with the conversion vans end up ripping the entire interior out, partly because it's space consuming - you lose as much as 6" on each side wall as compared to, say mine, where I lost less than a half inch each side with the finished wall surfaces I used.

IMO, there is no point in paying for a finished interior if you're going to remove most of it anyways. The fold down beds in the rear are notoriously uncomfortable to sleep on and ruin any storage beneath it because of the mechanics of the bench seat.

Also, keep in mind that most of the conversions are what's called a TV top. It does not give even a 5' tall person standing room. I have a 24" high top and have a 6'2" standing height in mine.

I COULD SEE TEARING OUT SOME OF THE MATERIAL but i was intrigued by the the quality workmanship in the high top portion of this van its a 2001 e250 eclipse signature select series with 120.000 miles on it

Attachments

• 00L0L_kivIjYdYUhT_600x450.jpg
    00L0L_kivIjYdYUhT_600x450.jpg
    25.1 KB
The insulation will be fine. ...As long as you are far enough south. But I am up here in the cold and even the 1-1/2" on the floors and the 1" I put on the walls isn't perfect. It is enough to be heatable but that is about it. I go through a 20lb propane in about seven days keeping the van at 50 degrees.

--jg

thanks for the info my heat source would be the wave 3 for emergencies but the snowbird option would suit me just as well

A passenger van is also a LOT easier to insure, they don't bat an eye. It's just a car. 

With a Wave 3 heater and maybe some reflectix in the windows, plus choosing milder climates, you will be fine with that van.

I went with a cargo van for several reasons (one being that I think they're all ugly). When you're insulating a cargo van, the walls can be done uniformly, to your specs. With a conversion van, you need a different strategy for the windows.

Joseph_Grey said:
But I am up here in the cold and even the 1-1/2" on the floors and the 1" I put on the walls isn't perfect.

Anything on the roof ceiling?  I appreciate your numbers on this.

Attachments

• IMG_5534.jpg
    IMG_5534.jpg
    124.3 KB