Converting commercial registration to RV for box truck (need actual experience)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleasant Travels

Reaction score
I wish to convert a box truck to my desired configuration for living. To get the best insurance rates, it needs to be registered as an RV. In my home state of AZ this is not possible,...they just don't do that here. So I will have to go to another state for this purpose. I accept that. But which one?

I recall hearing it somewhere that South Dakota was the preferred state for many additional reasons. As I originally heard it, in SD it was apparently a nothing clerical matter; as simple as saying I now use it as an RV, and they converted the title on the spot. Well, it turns out that wasn't quite so accurate. As I delved into it, doing my research, it seems that there are in fact required installed interior features in order to qualify as an RV in SD, so not quite as easy as I had hoped.

Elsewhere I read that in Montana, as long as you declare the formerly commercial vehicle is now used for purposes other than profit, you can simply register as a common private vehicle,...which is better than commercial insurance rates,...but can I go full RV without much difficulty?

While similar in many states, there are differences between them all, and I'm getting cross-eyed trying to figure out remotely via the internuts what the specifics are so as to choose one. Very difficult to do without paying a personal visit!

So I am asking for personal experiences from y'all that have done this. Please tell me what your experience has been getting your former commercial vehicle re-registered as an RV.

Vermont, by mail, easy peasy.

Only need to get inspection if you drive in state.

You’ve got two things going against you. A commercially rated vehicle and a DIY conversion. If you allready have insurance coverage, consider not rocking the boat.

Sourcing coverage on DIY conversions is problematic, all you might be able to get is liability coverage. Consider keeping the build simple and low cost. Keep all the receipts on the big ticket items to help assign a value to the build.

Well before getting into the weeds again on insurance, were you OP actually expecting more than just liability anyway?

Blocked again! I could not post a quote of Vermont Law. They require certain built-in appliances to be registered as a motor home. They don't discus the title.

No, anyone from any state can register their vehicle **by mail** as a motor home in Vermont, and they send out the registration & plates.

The inspection requirement as stated, only applies if you want to drive it within Vermont.

No idea about the title issues, and of course there are complications using this method long-term, I've only seen it discussed as an interim solution to drive ariund while working on the build.

But once it's registered in any state as a motorhome, that should make the process of transferring to another state much easier.

Thanks guys, I had not heard about Vermont.

I would PREFER to be able to have the rig insured for replacement value and belongings on board. But if liability is all I can get, then that's all I can get.

Has anyone done the Vermont thing AND been able to similarly purchase insurance for it from a Vermont agent online remotely?

Vermont doesn't "title" vehicles more than 15 years old. But getting a registration is a bit more paper-work complicated than john posts. I suggest always going to the state motor vehicle web site and researching the requirements. For example, a vin certification form (VT 010) is required. Most insurance companies are now represented throughout the USA. The agent will base everything on where it is 'garaged'. I may have a Vermont Registration, but if I park in California, that will effect my insurance. California may get curious if I'm in state for more than a few months. I was question a few time with my out of state tags, not charged, but still stopped and questioned.
If you go to Vermont, try to time your visit for late spring through early autumn.

wrt insurance

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:skoolie.net+vermont+insurance

you can get full collision just on the base vehicle, much easier than insuring the whole build.

Contents (all the fittings, appliances etc) can be covered as a rider on homeowner / renter's.

Really want an experienced niche agent, do not bother calling yourself about niche stuff

and **everything** varies drastically by state.

My daily driver is a 4WD, and it's not overkill for the rough "roads" of central Arizona.  I hate to give up that mobility. However, now I need the space of a Van for all the reasons so integral to this tribe.
Does a 350 sized van have advantages?  Disadvantages?  I'd like to be able to carry more water than most rigs I see.

I'd go for a proper truck, then put a box on the back.

Ujoint Offroad makes 4x4 conversion kits for vans less expensive than Quigley. I'm considering doing that to my box truck that I acquire.

please stay away from 4x4 conversions. if you want a 4x4 get a factory 4x4 which is a truck not a van. believe me converting a 2 wheel drive vehicle that was never meant to be a 4x4 into a 4x4 is a losing proposition in the long run. highdesertranger

True for Quigley's? I thought they *were* factory.

Saw a decent shape one recently for under $7K

back on topic...

in oregon the process was pretty painless to get my bus (commercial vehicle) retitled as an RV. in the small town i was in, the guy at DMV said it needed an installed bed and cooking facilities. i (rather crudely) bolted in a couch bed and a propane stove with a chunk of countertop. i did have to bring it in but the inspection was very brief. he just looked in from the door saw the bed and stove, and then went to measuring the overall length.

i have since installed different bed/kitchen but the quick n dirty got me titled and on the road
i did need an oregon address, but i like my oregon address for reg as oregon has no sales tax. save a bundle on that right there

Seminole Wind said:
back on topic...

in oregon the process was pretty painless to get my bus (commercial vehicle) retitled as an RV. in the small town i was in, the guy at DMV said it needed an installed bed and cooking facilities.  i (rather crudely) bolted in a couch bed and a propane stove with a chunk of countertop. i did have to bring it in but the inspection was very brief. he just looked in from the door saw the bed and stove, and then went to measuring the overall length.

i have since installed different bed/kitchen but the quick n dirty got me titled and on the road
i did need an oregon address, but i like my oregon address for reg as oregon has no sales tax. save a bundle on that right there

Again, exactly the 1st hand experience stories I need. Thank you.

No direct experience. But in North Carolina, once you build out a vehicle to meet the specifications in GS_20-4.01, section k, you can be re-titled a a motorhome.

k.
"Motor home or house car.–A vehicular unit, designed to provide temporary living quarters, built into as anintegral part, or permanently attached to, a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis or van. The vehicle must provide at least four of the following facilities:
cooking, refrigeration or icebox, self-contained toilet, heating or air conditioning, a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink, separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply, or an LP gas supply."