Converting a Conversion Van?????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
:huh: I'm wondering how much convertin' is really needed?  I was so excited that I snatched up Queenie and did a Happy Dance...We Gotta Van......We Gotta Van....Yippee....Yippee........Really more of slow TEXAS 2 Step.
Then Reality Bit Me In The Butt :( More Than Once.    I'm not physically able to pull apart and rebuild a van interior, nor am I financially able to pay to have it done at this time.  Do I really need to is also on my mind.

The interior is in good shape.  A few cracks in the dash, some spots on one seat.  Nothing is showing excessive wear, carpet is in good shape, no holes in anything that I've seen so far.  The paint on the hood is faded.  This paint job is unlike any I've ever seen.  It's cracked and crazing and in some spots looks like it's been cut with a knife and curled back on it's self.  Pictures, pictures, pictures my kingdom for some pictures!

So I'm thinking to just have the 2nd row captains seats removed for now.  This will leave space for a small cabinet that I can secure my little counter top frig to for insulin and cold foods. 

I'm wondering the best and cheapest way to get 110 elec. into the van.  Other than leaving a window cracked with a extension cord running through it.  Is there a heavy grade outdoor extension cord that coupled with some type of heavy duty plug strip would run a fan, small lamp, portable DVD PLAYER and the mini frig? 

I'm not sure yet if the rear seat/bed needs to stay or go.  Looking at it, it seems too wide and too short for anything except short naps.  Queenie is digging it big time   :)

Has anyone here done a partial build on a conversion van?

I'm grateful for all ideas and input and links etc.

Have a good week.

Jewellann

Depends upon what you want.

You want a rolling bed?
Youve got it!

Want to cook?
Want a refrigerator?
Shower?
Toilet?
Carry water?
Heat?
Storage cabinets?
Lounging space?
Stand up?
Etc?

Well....... you might have jumped the gun.

I'm going to convert a conversion but alas, I've tge skills to do it.

Dave

it's up to you, to do as much as you want or as little. yes there is a power cord set up you could install, but it will cost more then an extension cord and power strip. highdesertranger

djkeev said:
Depends upon what you want.

You want a rolling bed?
Youve got it!

Want to cook?
Want a refrigerator?
Shower?
Toilet?
Carry water?
Heat?
Storage cabinets?
Lounging space?
Stand up?
Etc?

Well....... you might have jumped the gun.

I'm going to convert a conversion but alas, I've tge skills to do it.

Dave
Good Luck With That!

Jewellann

highdesertranger said:
it's up to you,  to do as much as you want or as little.  yes there is a power cord set up you could install,  but it will cost more then an extension cord and power strip.  highdesertranger
:)  That's good to know.  What's it called...how/where do I find one.  Last but not least around how many $$$ are we talkin' about?

The Aliner has a 30amp power cord.  While it was still at the dealers they used an adapter to plug it into a outdoor extension cord to check all the electrics, frig, AC and microwave.  Now I have a "dog bone" adapter linking the Aliner to a outdoor extension cord plugged into the outlet provided by the storage facility, it's supposed to be 30amp however my plug wouldn't fit their outlet.  So I was thinking just to be able to travel some now without a big investment maybe the extension cord/power strip might work.  I know they make appliance extension cords, are they heavier duty than standard outdoor extension cords?  What about the power strips? How are these rated for different usages?

Thank You

Jewellann

SternWake said:
https://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-AC-...8&qid=1482798663&sr=8-12&keywords=noco+genius
If one can mount the linked product above in the Van body somewhere, then one can simply plug in their power strip to that, and plug in the regular household extension cord to the above product.
:) I looked at it on the link and it looks like something that would work.  Then I read further and confused myself.  DC is this like regular household current.....and AC is this 12v???   The only place I think I can go thru the van wall without taking a chance of drilling or cutting into some part of the wiring for the systems I don't even know I have are the rear doors.  I will look at the hinge side when I open them to see if any wires run to them.  Well I just remembered the the electric locks!  Maybe it's only wired on one side, if I'm lucky!

Thank you for the info...someone tell me I'm not turning into a WHINING WOMAN...Those critters get on my last nerve.  I'm not use to having to ask for so much help...constantly...and not being able to do just about anything I set my mind to without a lot of help from others.

Jewellann

A 1 7/8" hole saw would make installing the Minnkota product I linked easy.

The Minn Kota plug is for 115vAC electricity

Batteries are DC

You might already have something similar laying around, but this one comes with USB charging ports:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019W102U0?psc=1

PLug this into the MinnKota and you have a pretty good 115vAC system for when you can plug into the grid via a quality exterior extension cord.

SternWake said:
https://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-AC-...8&qid=1482798663&sr=8-12&keywords=noco+genius

Running an extension cord through an open window or deal certainly works, but is not ideal

If one can mount the linked product above in the Van body somewhere, then one can simply plug in their power strip to that, and plug in the regular household extension cord to the above product.

:huh:  You ought to hear me trying to explain to people in the RV industry about this Power Port.  So now there are 2 in this area that can add a new part + instalation fee to/for their customers. I think the guys who bought the Ranger will be my best bet.

I'd like a solar set up however my brain seems to vapor lock reading about all the varibles of monitoring charges  and over charging or depleting the batteries.  Sometimes I even confuse myself  ;)

Thanks to you and everyone else who is trying to help me while I try to fumble my way into at least a P.T. boondocker.  The Aliner does have a 12v system that has lights and my vent fan that Pulls air into the trailer instead of Out!!  I think the owner where I bought the Aliner is avoiding my calls.  I'm thinking of telling him the same thing I've told my son and his kids more than once....You don't want me to come down there and do this face to face...do ya? :D

Jewellann