"Conversion Van" vs Cargo Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For us, there is much to love about the low-top conversion van, but it really depends on how you plan to use it.  We use it to travel, sleep, lounge and dress.  No cooking inside.  Random thoughts:

Seats:  Ended up HATING the electric bench-to-bed and gave it away on Craiglist.  Kept the middle row captains.  The leather covers from those were used to replace same on the front seats when they wore out.  Nine-way power seats will spoil you.

Windows:  Love seeing the forest/beach/canyons/mountains all around and cross-ventilation from screened windows is sweet.  I use Reflectix in large windows like vertical shades to control light and heat as needed.  Thermal black-out drapes are behind front seats and at side and back doors.

Running Boards:  A conversion van downside, if these are damaged, most body shops don't do fiberglass work.  Repair is pricey.

Rear A/C could be nice for a quick cool-down before bed, if you must.  We never have, but it's a comforting thought.

One thing to keep in mind is insurance cost.  I was looking at a Chevy 15 passenger van and the cost was over $1000 a year over what I pay on my pickup and TT combined.  I think the reason it was so high is because 15 people might be injured.  That killed the deal for me.  I know the insurance company uses the VIN to determine your premium.  I'm thinking a cargo or conversion should have a lower rate.  I believe if you investigate the VIN you will find a conversion van is listed as a cargo van.  Dont lie just give the VIN and shut up.

If you convert a van for campervan use it can be retitled as an RV. Just find out what your state requires to be in it for it to qualify as a campervan (RV). Doesn't matter which one you start with, the end result is what you are after.

Thanks for all the great information.   It's helped me tremendously to decide what I'm looking for.  So I'm keeping an eye out for a less then 20k sportsmobile, a Chevy/gmc 3500 v8 conversion or Nissan 2500/3500 v8 high roof cargo.  All below 20k.  I have a couple of feelers out right now.  So far Im seeing some nv's that look promising.  But I have a little time before I can purchase a new vehicle. A month or two.
The passenger vans I suspected would be crazy on the insurance so it's nice to get it confirmed.  
I'm shooting for the heavier models thinking mainly that it's going to help in the long run carrying weight but at the moment I'm thinking total weight I'll have in it won't ever be more then 2000 to 2500 pounds.  Simple kitchen is fridge, sink with 5 gal grey water, camp stove and or microwave.  Aluminum instead of wood for shelves allowing less weight and more space.  Mainly Spartan decor especially at the start and as I improve it over time.  Light wood panels for walls and ceiling to cover insulation.  I've even thought plastic sheets might be nice.  This should work for either conversion or cargo.  The sportsmobile is tempting but sleeping in the penthouse scares me for the one I can afford.  Tempting though.  I'm giving it a lot of thought

Folks, this is just a friendly reminder to carefully trim any quotes you include to the bare minimum. When you are reading on a phone, and you have to read the same post twice to get a new comment, it can be frustrating--especially if there are pictures!

Be kind and trim!! :)

ovrcmr said:
I'll tell ya, I really like the windows all around more and more.

Watch out... I LOVE my Chevy high top.... but.. mine has the stupid 'pop' out windows so no screens and eh on ventilation.  And the BIG side windows don't open at all.  Only all doors have pop outs.  Mine is a '99.  Just wasn't thinking about that when I bought it; but then at this point I'm still too big a wimp even THINK about leaving all my window open if they Were big enough!! lol

Just something to watch out for.  But not a deal breaker at all.  They open.. just figuring out a screen is a b*tch.  Wonder if anyone on here has already done that???

I remember the older ones I've had... they had nice little slide windows at the bottom of the big sides w/screens.

ALSO:  As to standing and Sleeping:
I HAD to be able to stand some.  My Toyota Sienna ( :heart: ) was all decked out, but I just couldn't keep negotiating the bending at the waist to get around from front to back.  The high top is waaay better.  I"m 5 8".  The bed:  I keep the back (1/3rd) section in an upright position and use the other two to sleep on.  I JUST fit when I add foam to the window sills.  I also added a 3/4" piece of plywood to the sagging seat and TWO WalMart Twin cut to fit Memory foam mattresses.  One left me with feelings of being all 'beat up'!

ALSO ALSO::  I really didn't want to tear up the 'conversion' snazz!  So until and IF I go Full Time.. I'm travelin' in style! :)

Hope this helps!  

Van Interior.jpg

Attachments

• Van Interior.jpg
    Van Interior.jpg
    790.4 KB · Views: 19
I guess I've given up on the windows so conversions atm are out of my thinking. Only because of the insurance and like you said - ripping out the prettiness bothers me also. I've mainly been looking at Chevy cutaway vans and Nissan high tops. There's a gorgeous cutaway in Florida that I drool over but suspect I'd tear it up in the first campground I go to and stealth camping is out. Everyone would think they are being watched by an ABC department of the government. In fact I thought if I bought that one I'd need signs like "dog sitting and grooming service" or the like.
I have another month before I get serious about choices so it's an ongoing decision change.
I think I'll end up being "that" guy that has cameras all over the outside of the van because practically none of the Nissans have windows and the Chevys windows are infrequent. Outside noises seem to exaggerate when you cant see the cause. Easier to insulate at least w/o windows.

If I may suggest unless you are in a big hurry is to read up more on older posts here.

it should be no problem insuring a conversion if it was done by a company that does conversions. the only time you run into issues is when it's a homebuilt.

boy, if you want trouble with insuring something the go with a cutaway.

you are only fooling yourself by the thinking you are stealth. you are not hiding from anybody that wants to know.

windows can be added to anything.

trying to hide behind signs of nonexistent businesses only brings a whole new sets of issues.

so all the points I made above have been covered here many times, often in painful detail.

highdesertranger

The old-style sliding windows with screens are nice, but I dread the day I have to replace one.  Not sure they make them any more.

VanFan said:
The old-style sliding windows with screens are nice, but I dread the day I have to replace one.  Not sure they make them any more.

You might find something at vanwindowsdirect.  Sorry can't link it.