Continuous Duty Solenoid

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is easy if you think through your wiring with that diagram as a rough guide. The problem is a positive wire shorting (or connected) to the negative side, most likely the metal of the vehicle. Let us know when you find the problem to save the next guy.

There are few modern vans with a true "frame". They are uni-body design. The sheet metal is the chassis.

Any van that is converted into a B+ or C has a real frame. Might be a ladder type, but it is a frame.

I do have 150 amp alternator according to the manual.
Well, got everything hooked up after finding one of the ring terminals on the four gauge attached to solenoid that was touching the solenoid case itself. Maybe that’s what we shorting it out I don’t know but I fix that and hooked it back up and there were no explosions. That’s good right?
Now what I don’t understand is this. With the van key off. When I checked the last fuse right by the house battery, on the starting battery side I get 13+ volts. Does this mean my solenoid is not working? When I turn the key I can hear it click open.
Does the house battery back feed as far as the solenoid?

Update
When the van is running it is showing 14.95 vt by house battery fuse.
My only concern is the 13 V when the vehicle is not running, I want to make sure I am not draining my starting battery.

Basic short to ground you found. Please protect the cable lug so it won't short again in case it gets bumped or the cable pulled.

Let's straighten this out. In sunlight your house battery will read over 13V DC because of your solar system. Take a reading at your starting battery. This should be around 12.6V DC if it has not been charged by the engine for a few hours. The solenoid will click to connect the two systems together when you turn the key on. They will disconnect from each other when you turn the key off.

When the van is running and you are getting over 14V DC at your house battery, it just means your house battery made it to absorption stage or the voltage regulator for your alternator is putting out maximum voltage because you just started it.

also to test the solenoid remove the wire at the solenoid that goes to your house battery.
now with the key OFF test it, it should read zero.
now turn the key ON it should now read starting battery voltage.
of course take the proper precautions as to not cause a short.

highdesertranger