Continuous Duty Solenoid

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grahampa

Reaction score
Is it worth my while to install a continuous duty solenoid? I am thinking of installing one but am now reading it does a poor job at completely charging batteries. 

Can i hook it directly to a charge controller?

Is it worth my time and money to install it separately from a charge controller system?

I have a 200 amp CDS by cole hersee, how many amp hours will that create per hour?

what is a CDS? Automotive alternators are not designed to charge a deep cycle house bank. Any other charge sources are preferred. Unless you have a small battery. 100 amp hours or so.

A CDS is a continuous duty solenoid and I wonder if it runs off of the alternator. To some degree but I thought it sort of created a charge itself. And that's why I need to install one. My current plan is to install it as a separate system from my solar / alternator charging / shore power (which I am looking into a ctek 250 for)

A CDS is for charging your house battery from the alternator. Where you tie the feed wire end, either at the alternator (best) or tie into your engine battery, it is the same. It does not create power but connects two systems together when energised. These are usually tied into a circuit that is only hot when the key is on, thereby not draining your starting battery if you forget to flip a switch.

"I have a 200 amp CDS by cole hersee, how many amp hours will that create per hour? "

A solenoid is a switch that is electromagnetic operated.

A "CDS" does not create energy. It does the opposite. It is parasitic load when it is switched from its Normal position.

The vehicle's alternator creates electrical charge.

wayne49 said:
"I have a 200 amp CDS by cole hersee, how many amp hours will that create per hour? "

A solenoid is a switch that is electromagnetic operated.

A "CDS" does not create energy. It does the opposite. It is parasitic load when it is switched from its Normal position.

The vehicle's alternator creates electrical charge.

Thanks for driving that one home. Do you know how quickly it will charge a 100ah battery or how many amps it will provide per hour?

it will quickly charge your battery to about 80 percent depending on your alternator output. A standard alternator will produce about 100 amps but only at 1200 rpm or higher, at 600 idle rpm it might produce 50 amps. So in 1 hour at 1200 rpm it might put 80 amps into your 100ah battery, probably less. 80 amps sound like alot but for a lead acid charging to 80 percent is almost a discharged battery, it needs 100 percent every time. 

Once the battery voltage gets close to 14 volts, the battery will start taking less amps. To get it fully charge to 100 percent which is what a lead acid needs everyday, will take at least 4 hours with the alternator. On a long drive is the best way to keep the battery fully charge. Theres no way to force a lead acid to quickly charge from any method, as it gets full it wont take all the 100 amps your alternator can put out. Even if you had a high output 200 amp alternator, it will quickly charge to 80 percent but then it still needs several hours to fully charge.

Thank you very much jony that's great info. Now I do feel it is worth my while to install.

grahampa said:
Do you know how quickly it will charge a 100ah battery or how many amps it will provide per hour?

Not sure what "it" is, in the question.   If the "it" is the solenoid, it wont charge anything given its function as a switch.   If the "it" referres to the alternator, I suggest a search as the subject has been covered lots.   A lot of that discussion has focused on whether alternator direct charging or charging using a DC to DC charger will take a battery to full charge faster.   The answer to that last question is "depends".