Contemplating van life

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chick-a-gogo

Reaction score
Hello!  I have been following the van dwelling and tiny home movement for years but haven’t posted here before.  I have lived in tiny efficiencies and small homes.  While growing up, my family had a camper.  I loved it.  I was always green with envy of my brother’s Boy Scout trips.  I have made camping trips and done some hiking.  I fantasize about making more trips (via car for now) or even pursuing van-or-RV life longer term.  Now, I am being forced to contemplate early retirement for health reasons.  This is a difficult reality because I fairly recently (following that devastating recession) made a career change and am not financially prepared for retirement.  I may not have much choice about retirement … and I also don’t want to wait until I am too sick to enjoy some “retirement” time.  At a minimum, I need a vacation and I have wondered if “van life” might allow me to travel and economize. 

One concern I have:  I am wondering about access to consistent medical care if I am on the road.  This would be a necessity for me.  Medical plans now often geographically restrict where one can get medical care (my current plan does) which could greatly constrain travel options.  Is anyone aware of a forum that might discuss these concerns?  Or have helpful thoughts or suggestions?  It’s a complicated topic…   

Other notes:  I really dislike being cold … or excessively hot… and have a vision of snow-birding.  I am currently in the eastern U.S.  Since I am stuck here as long as I have my job, I would love to see/read more about east coast/eastern U.S. car-ing/van-ing/RV-ing.  I’m a pretty private person so posting makes me feel a little … exposed…  

Thanks and happy travels!

Welcome to the forum... it's great to have you here.

I dislike being cold, or hot also. Sure wish my health was better(at 65) too.

Have a nice day.

Welcome to the CRVL forums chick-a-gogo!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forums...

Maybe part time work while traveling is an option for you.. I'll be working a bit to supplement my retirement income as well...

See you on the road...

chick-a-gogo said:
Hello!  I have been following the van dwelling and tiny home movement for years but haven’t posted here before. One concern I have:  I am wondering about access to consistent medical care if I am on the road.  This would be a necessity for me.  Medical plans now often geographically restrict where one can get medical care (my current plan does) which could greatly constrain travel options.  Is anyone aware of a forum that might discuss these concerns?  Or have helpful thoughts or suggestions?  It’s a complicated topic…  
The Escapees have a forum on Health care and medical insurance. rvnetwork.com

drysailor said:
The Escapees have a forum on Health care and medical insurance. rvnetwork.com

I am familiar with the Escapees.  I will check that out.  Thanks for the suggestion.