Considering the nomad life

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleasant Travels

Reaction score
So I am expecting the Soc.Sec.Admin. to finally approve my disability status this coming summer. With that should come funding retroactively from the date of my first application back in Sept. of 2015,...so a nice chunk up front and then the monthlies after that. 

But of course, existing merely on SSD in this country is nearly impossible,...or so I thought, until I discovered Bob Wells' videos on Youtube a couple months ago. Since then, I have become more and more drawn to the idea of the nomad dwelling existence/experience. 

I have in my head the type of rig I currently envision using to live that kind of life. It is ever evolving as I learn more. And to learn more, I have signed up here.

I am a native of Phoenix, so I'm already familiar with our wonderful state of Arizona. There is a lot here year round. But while I have never held the passion for travelling for the sake of travelling,...I have always felt one need not leave the US in order to have a sufficient variety of vistas to explore. And it looks like I might get to actually go out and prove that. :D

My 2 largest needs to be met in my current lack of knowledge in mobile living,....solar systems,...I definitely will be investing in LARGE solar capacity,...and adapting my largeness to small living space (I am a fatboy, no doubt about it). I currently envision acquiring a Uhaul-type box van or maybe a stepvan, so as to have sufficient interior space to customize for my lack of thinness. I also would like the entire thing to be as "stealthy" as possible, since I also envision doing a fair amount of urban camping across the land.

Since I live in AZ, I'm hoping to make it out to Quartzite to visit with y'all at the RTR and learn in person the various things that can be gleaned while there, and to look over some of the rigs similar to my vision for ideas. And of course, I'm certain there might well be others there who started out similarly to where I'm at now, who could have illuinating tales to share.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi and welcome,
If lack of knowledge is a stumbling block than you've come to the right place. This forum and site are an incredible fount of information, help, and support. Since I will be a solo traveler I really appreciate being able to gett a second opinion before making a decision.

I totally agree with that there's enough to see in this great country of ours to last a lifetime. We've got it all, mountains, forests, beaches, and spectacular sights.

Best wishes on finding and building out your box van.

Dream True said:
I totally agree with that there's enough to see in this great country of ours to last a lifetime.

I figure if all I do is visit the two largest cities in each of the 48 contiguous states and stay four weeks in each, that is 96 months = 8 years. And that doesn't even count any of the national parks, state parks, and smaller cities.

I figure I have plenty to see.  :)

The life is not for everyone, that said you might try a couple weeks in a rental for a clearer introduction, welcome by the way and good luck.

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
Welcome!  If you want to get an idea about what might be done with a UHaul box van conversion, you may want to check out A City Nomad's YT channel:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0SCVxV_Q8C789H7H6SyceQ

I seem to remember him having videos of how/why he made the conversion decisions he did to his former UHaul...

Yes, in fact it was seeing his video tour of his uhaul conversion that intrigued me and made me think this just might work.

I am a big guy too and sleep in my pickup. I spend the rest of my time outside. It isn’t at all stealthy.

Welcome. You might want to hold off using your chunk of change until you get to the rtr. Rent something, borrow a camper or whatever. The more you see there, the more your needs may change.

Red aka diane

dragonflyinthesky said:
Welcome. You might want to hold off using your chunk of change until you get to the rtr. Rent something, borrow a camper or whatever. The more you see there, the more your needs may change.

Red aka diane

In fact, since I live in Phoenix, I'm planning on making it out to Quartzite this coming January to visit the RTR to mingle with folks and pick their brains and listen to their wisdom and experiences and to look at the rigs. I'll be there at least a day, or perhaps I'll camp out for a weekend in my minivan to stay longer. Currently, I earn my living running a hot dog cart. (Which is why I have a minivan. They are the perfect vehicle for that biz.) The weekends during Arizona's famous good weather is when I'm usually busy. But there's about a month there after Christmas where we experience a lull, and I might be able to stay more than a day. It just remains to be seen.

Good luck on your decision. You may find a minivan will work for your needs especially if you own one already. I am in an old econoline cargo. No solar. I think trying it out is great advice. Look toward to hearing the evolution of your plans.

Latest posts