Considering Honda Pilot for tow vehicle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tav-2020

Reaction score
anyone using a Honda Pilot as their tow vehicle? would you share your pros/cons?

i am looking at the AWD not 2WD; towing capacity stated as 5000, more than enough for my plans (yes, taking into account vehicle load as well).
what about service for hondas in the southwest? sparce? plentiful?
thanks for your input!

I’d be more comfortable with a van or truck.
This is a passenger vehicle and a pricy one.
I love Hondas but this IMO is not setup to be a long term towing vehicle.
Read about rvsue. She has a blog. She used a 1/2 ton van 2wd to tow her Casita and she went back to some pretty and remote places. Eventually she did need the Tranny rebuilt but I think after lots of miles. She didn’t buy new either.
Read her blog http://rvsueandcrew.net/
May have to jump back to the beginning. She traveled for many years and just recently moved into a house with her sister.

Firtree said:
I’d be more comfortable with a van or truck.
This is a passenger vehicle and a pricy one.
I love Hondas but this IMO is not setup to be a long term towing vehicle.
Read about rvsue.
thanks for your feedback, Firtree - btw, you are my fav xmas tree if you are a Douglas firtree :)

i have read rvSue, know about her PTV
i actually need the passenger aspect of the Pilot, expecting at times to have visitors and dogs, up 5 adults and three dogs and eventually grandchildren too -- so am looking for comfortable passenger vehicle that can flex to storage too.
while researching further yesterday i found a new Subaru model that seems perfect -- have been devoted Subaru driver since 1990.
the Ascent - up to 8 passengers, V6, 5000lb towing capacity, like the Pilot....i may be in love...
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/ascent/features.html[/font]

tav-2020 said:
 . . . the Ascent - up to 8 passengers, V6, 5000lb towing capacity, like the Pilot . . .

The specification you really want is GCWR (gross combined weight rating) which is the maximum weight of the vehicle, contents, passengers, and trailer.  I couldn't find that number on Subaru's sight; just listed as n/a.  Towing capacity is generally cited for a vehicle with one 150# driver and fluids, and goes down as you add passengers and cargo.

thanks, Spiff!
the trailer i have settled on is ~2000lbs dry weight, and the tow vehicle will not always be full of people, just occasionally...and those times will probably be not while towing...my kids will fly into locations near where i am set up and i will just use car to transport them around while they visit with me...at least that's the plan now

I owned one Subaru years ago...I've always liked Subarus, but asking a 4 cylinder engine (even turbocharged) to pull 5000 pounds, especialy thru mountains, seems a bit much.

But, pulling a 2000+ pound trailer should be no problem, and I assume the car has (or will have) trailer brake controller, sway control (mechanical or electronic) and tow-haul mode on the transmission selector.

If the trailer is gonna be something like a Casita or small R-pod, A-liner, pop-up, etc, it would seem like a match made in heaven.