Connection advice for DC-DC charger, house battery and a load?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKa

Reaction score
Newbie questions here :)

I have 50 AMPS DC-DC charger connected to an AGM house battery. Now I need to connect a load (fuse box, etc.), Do I connect positive wire of the load to a positive on the house battery or to the positive on the charger? Or it doesn't matter since they all connected together? Right now, it is load+ to charger+ and house battery+ to the charger+.

Thanks.

Newbie questions here :)

I have 50 AMPS DC-DC charger connected to an AGM house battery. Now I need to connect a load (fuse box, etc.), Do I connect positive wire of the load to a positive on the house battery or to the positive on the charger? Or it doesn't matter since they all connected together? Right now, it is load+ to charger+ and house battery+ to the charger+.

Thanks.
Being an untrained nit wit when it comes to all things electrical it is best to use a fused junction block from the positive post of the battery in my opinion. If it is a single heavy load I usually use military style battery terminals the kind with a bolt and nut for accessories and put a fuse as close to the battery terminal as possible.

It is best to start your loads from the battery. Consider the electrons getting confused, going to the battery, then back to get to the load. They'll be going both ways at the same time. This heats up the wire.

Also, if later you decide to add additional batteries to the system, the wiring will have different lengths (which kills batteries). If you plan on any later upgrades, put in a central hub block and attach everything to it (battery, DC charger, solar, loads), just ensure your wiring can handle any current that may travel upon it.