Composting Toilets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
So I've had a rather negative opinion of composting toilets, but it seems that may be due to ignorance on my part. There are enough claims that they do not smell that I tend to believe it. And the elimination of black water tank is a big bonus...yet it still has a "holding tank" so you can poop'n'forget, unlike the plastic bag options.

Has anyone here been using one? I searched archive and found a couple threads, but not anything specific like "I've been using Nature's Head for a year and...."

Here's a great video by a couple who've been using one for awhile now...there's actually 3 or 4 vids on the subject by them: 

Here's a homemade version, primary difference is it doesn't separate liquids out, and therefore requires more attention controlling moisture content:   http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Water/RVCompostToilet/RVCompostToilet.htm

Basically the more I read and learn about it, the more I am feeling like this might be the way to go. I would likely go with buying a complete unit, as the pee diverter, the closing gate and the tumbler are things where the DIY options I've seen tend to fall short of what I would want. I'd prefer clean and simple, not a kludged-together thing. But perhaps I just haven't seen the right design yet.

I also find the time-between-empties is highly favorable...once the liquid is taken out of the equation, there's really a lot more room...

I've only had my C-head for 6 weeks now but so far I'm really satisfied with it.

I was somewhat leery of MY ability to use the separating toilet but it really does work. 4 days of me using it and another 2 days at home before I got around to emptying the liquid container and there was no smell until I went to pour the liquid down the toilet.

I haven't had to empty the solids container yet and there's absolutely no smell from it even when it's in use.

I'm glad I went this route rather than having to dump porta potties...for me, plumbing in a black water tank wasn't on my 'to do' list.

This is the one I'm using. I chose it not only because the cost was much lower but also because it does NOT use a proprietary liquid container. I can throw out the gallon jug if it ever becomes necessary and I can also have as many containers on hand as I need.

http://www.c-head.com/

10 years using a home made composting toilet. It doesn't have any bad smell. The cover material is important, it controls the oder and helps to start the composting. Ventilation is important also, the last year I used a luggable loo seat with the lid closed it held the moisture inside and had problems with that. The compost needs air to work! Before the luggable loo seat I had it in a wood box with a regular toilet seat, it was bulky and heavy. Separating the liquid and solids extends the time when it needs to be emptied. When it is time to empty it this is not a nasty process like ports potty, no smell. Can be put into an outdoor compost bin for further composting or based and put in trash.

Installed a Seperette in a small home this summer- it has been in use for a few months now, by one /two people and has no odor even during use.
I expect that there would be without the fan running 24/7.....
It was easy for me to adjust to from a standard toilet, but will continue with my 5 gal bucket and biodegradable bags when boondocking and garbage bags when near garbage cans.

I thought I had heard of all the manufacturers but had not heard of "Seperette" so I "googled": https://www.separett-usa.com/ It looked like a nice one and not so large as many of them. Some have a really large footprint. I would love to have a composting toilet in the house and/or the trailer. I had done the black water tanks for long term and even prefer the cassette or porti-potti to dealing with the black water tank. It really is a personal preference that people have but the cassette and porti-pottie are just quicker to deal with and easier to keep clean or so this has been my experience.

Latest posts