Comparison Shopping (Transit/Promaster/Sprinter)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomh

Reaction score
I know none of these are cheap, but when compared to a condo in silicon valley, they are a bargain.

I'm leaning toward the Ford Transit but am open to other ideas. I'm also looking for a company that does conversions. I talked to Sportmobile but they have a waiting list until June 2017.

Any help  would be appreciated

Thanks

Don't forget about the Nissan NV. It's the most truck like van with the option for a factory high roof.

I'm liking the Transits, but mostly because I grew up driving VW mini busses and the Transit has that Euro feel to it.

Just got finished looking at the 2016 Sprinter 4x4. Except for the maintenance costs, I loved our '04 Sprinter. Do any of the others have a 4x4 factory option?

I have the 2016 Transit High Roof and absolutely love it. It's an amazing vehicle to drive. When I was looking for a van to buy I did my research on the Transit the Sprinter and the Promaster. I didn't like the Nissan just from looking at it. The Promaster was the cheapest but it also felt a little cheap. And kinda a rough ride. The Sprinter is amazing. I really wanted to like it. But after spending some time on the sprinter forums and finding out what a maintenance nightmare it has the potential for I just couldn't get myself to buy one. Too many stories of vans in for service and waiting on parts to be shipped from Germany. Also too many stories of people in large cities that can't find a dealer that has techs certified to work on them. Even though the Transit is fairly new the engine is the same Ecoboost that the F150 and mustang get. I can take it to any Ford dealer in the country and they can work on it. And when the warranty is out I can take it to almost any mechanic and he can work on it as well as get local parts for it. And after driving them all I just love driving the Eco Boost Transit. I've been doing my own conversion  so I not worried about waiting for an upfitter. But I would imagine the wait time would be the same weather you bought a Transit or a Sprinter. Go test drive them all. And spend some time on the specific forums for each van. In the end you will know which one is right for you.

The I-5 Sprinter you loved was very lovable, with the exception of the rust, turbo resonator cracks, and "Black Death" around the injectors. It was also the only factory tall/Eurostyle game in town. All MB V-6 engines that followed for the Sprinter became worse nightmares as far as reliability and maintenance costs. BlueTEC finally added a whole new slew of problems with the DEF complicated systems and sensors. Clean burning diesels are way too expensive and finicky to maintain, especially if it is being used as your home.
I owned and traveled in an '08 170" tall Sprinter for six years, and spent a year deciding on it's replacement after it was totaled since the Transit and Promaster were still just promises back then.
Went with the longest tallest Transit 3.5 Ecoboost, and have 25,000 miles on it now since January '15.
No regrets. Many times this Winter people stopped to ask about the relative merits of the various Euro style vans now on the market.
I asked them how much time they had to talk, and tailored my response to their schedule.
I could compare every detail for hours, but if they need the short answer........3.5 Transit. Done.
And reliability plus parts and technician availability is a HUGE reason.
Also keep in mind...the North American variant of the Fiat Ducato AKA Ram Promaster is not the same animal as the rest of the world gets. Here we are given a Chrysler mini van engine and transmission!

My father always told me to buy the car from the country you live in. I did ignore this advice for many many years. I believe the vehicles you mention are underpowered for the scope of the American landscape.

Thank you for the replies, good information. I am now more convinced the Transit is the van for me. I'm thinking a 250 long, with a medium roof and the EcoBoost engine, in silver. Is there a Transit forum? Thanks again.

There is a transit forum. But make sure you get on the USA one as there is one for non-NA transits.

Two issues to be aware of on the transit is the air filter box water leak and the rear rubber u-joint (sorry don't know the name of it). The air filter problem is universal and solved with a $2 wash basin from Wal-Mart. I'm not sure how wide spread the u-joint problem is, but know several have been cracking.

I wouldn't even consider a Promaster! I'll leave it with you get what you pay for and I'm speaking from experience.

Them urupeans came up with those rubber u joints i had a Renault that eat them up like candy.

"I wouldn't even consider a Promaster! I'll leave it with you get what you pay for and I'm speaking from experience."
climbingcoastie.wordpress.com

We just purchased a new Promaster (V-6) for our business and I have to agree that I personally would not consider it for recreation or dwelling. It's ok for what we are using it for, but here are some pros and cons. I'm sure there will be more to this list, but we have only had it for I week!
Pros:
1: Gas Mileage: About 17-18 mpg - first week combo hiway/city - Oh, should mention that was during training for our driver and completely empty!
2: Very maneuverable for it's size - turns on a dime
3: Smooth quiet ride - of course, I'm probably comparing it to our old truck!
Cons:
1: Seating - Not so comfortable and not adjustable for the up and down, with very limited for the recline .... could not imagine a long road trip in any of the three seating areas.
2: Headliner storage visor too low if you are over 5'10" tall. Hubby is 5'11" and he said he would remove it if he was the daily driver.
3: Not a power rig at all, but in our area it is adequate.
4: Did not come with security alarm on the keyset, which surprised me.
Snowbunny ?
P.S. Still saving for our personal van, but for now, business comes first.

deadwood said:
I have the 2016 Transit High Roof and absolutely love it. It's an amazing vehicle to drive. When I was looking for a van to buy I did my research on the Transit the Sprinter and the Promaster. I didn't like the Nissan just from looking at it. The Promaster was the cheapest but it also felt a little cheap. And kinda a rough ride. The Sprinter is amazing. I really wanted to like it. But after spending some time on the sprinter forums and finding out what a maintenance nightmare it has the potential for I just couldn't get myself to buy one. Too many stories of vans in for service and waiting on parts to be shipped from Germany. Also too many stories of people in large cities that can't find a dealer that has techs certified to work on them. Even though the Transit is fairly new the engine is the same Ecoboost that the F150 and mustang get. I can take it to any Ford dealer in the country and they can work on it. And when the warranty is out I can take it to almost any mechanic and he can work on it as well as get local parts for it. And after driving them all I just love driving the Eco Boost Transit. I've been doing my own conversion  so I not worried about waiting for an upfitter. But I would imagine the wait time would be the same weather you bought a Transit or a Sprinter. Go test drive them all. And spend some time on the specific forums for each van. In the end you will know which one is right for you.

I didn't drive the Sprinter or the Promaster - because I worried about maintenance issues they were not on my list  ( the clincher was when Enterprise told me that even the new ones were in the shop a lot) but I concur with the experience of driving the Transit - that is one nice van to drive and I loved the views from the front seat. Good luck on that Transit :)

I would note, though, for the prospective buyer - if you're buying new  - Chevy is putting a 2.5L diesel into their Expresses/Savana's for the next model year - that should improve mileage considerably. It's got the rugged ladder frame and considerably more clearance. No high tops though.

climbing coasti said:
I wouldn't even consider a Promaster! I'll leave it with you get what you pay for and I'm speaking from experience.

I've looking quite closely at that one, the promaster full size.
The folks on the PM forum seem quite happy with them but who knows. I don't like that one would have to find a Business Link dealership just to work on them. That is scary for someone who wants to really drive around.

That they are front wheel drive with out a drive train makes the cargo area huge even on the low tops, which does make them pretty tempting even with the Business link thing.

I went to a dealer near me and looked at the Promasters , I was most interested in how it is front wheel drive thinking there would be much more cargo room , I was disappointed when I took measurements , the floor is only 1.5 inch deeper then a Express van .
I think they could have dropped the floor at least 5 inches with the exception of where the rear wheels are.

tomh said:
I know none of these are cheap, but when compared to a condo in silicon valley, they are a bargain...
On upfitters? If Portland Oregon is an option (thinking you are in SF Bay?) you might contact VanSpecialties or OutsideVan. Sort of sister companies and quality work and nice crews. (VS helped us w/our build)

cortttt said:
I didn't drive the Sprinter or the Promaster...
...Chevy is putting a 2.5L diesel into their Expresses/Savana's...No high tops though.
Fiberine 24" top on the chevy van gives a useable ~5'10 or so headroom (that is measured with an insulated drop headliner) or go with the 30" top for more room ( : if you don't mind being single for the rest of your life : )

Thom

Most has already been said, but I may add that the exterior of the ProMaster is not very stylish. In my opinion it's just a square box, That said, it is also the most affordable and I continue to hear from many satisfied owners. It is certainly frequently used as a conversion van. Although I bought a Transit I could recommend a ProMaster under specific circumstances. The Sprinter is expensive to buy and maintain and service is a liability. By the way, I very satisfied with the T250 LWB MR that I have.

I have a comprehensive 2015 comparison between the popular models. Some things have changed, but it's still a good read. 2015 Cargo Van Comparison

Van Williams

Mobilesport said:
I went to a dealer near me and looked at the Promasters , I was most interested in how it is front wheel drive thinking there would be much more cargo room , I was disappointed when I took measurements , the floor is only 1.5 inch deeper then a Express van .
I think they could have dropped the floor at least 5 inches with the exception of where the rear wheels are.
hmm.
Something is not adding up on these measurements.
The Promaster is considerably taller inside the cargo area then an Express.
I have the Express at 53" tall
and a standard Promaster at 65"
So, over a foot taller inside, which is a lot when one is a tall person.