Comfortable Mattress for 66yr old?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What ever you decide, think about this.......a good matress leads to a good night sleep and that is priceless! You can have a bad day, but you never want to have a bad night. :)

GraceinMotion said:
The best purchase I ever made in my half century plus is a Dunlap latex mattress. I will never buy anything else. No heat issues like memory foam; no pressure point problems; doesn't lose it's elasticity; is hypoallergenic. Originally purchased over ten years ago as a King (6" thickness), it is currently cut down (using box cutter) to a queen. I fully expect it to last until I retire in a few years, at which time it will be cut down to fit on my truck's in-cab sleeper (using memory foam now, which is too hot for me in Summer, but I make do). Latex mattresses ain't cheap, but given the longevity and total comfort I'm experiencing, well worth every penny and the fight over it in the divorce. You can get up to 3" thickness latex "mattress topper" on Amazon, which may be enough and would be more maneuverable than a 6" thick one (weight/bulk is the only con IMO).

6" seems thin, (2 mattress toppers.) At least as far as what the companies selling them recommend. Do you find that to be adequate? What firmness is it and what does it sit on top of? I'm currently building out a van conversion and am interested in a latex mattress.

I have been happy with a memory foam for the past 15 years. Not sure if it will work for a 66 year old, still a couple months till I find out.
-crofter

I'm only 52, but I have fibromyalgia, and this is what I've done:

1. two 1 inch camping/sleeping pads as a base (I got them at Wal mart)
2. a 3 inch foam topper
3. a 4 inch foam topper
4. an egg crate mattres topper.
5. a mattress pad

I just kept adding things until it finally got comfortable. Lol.

I'm changing beds in my van - so out with the 30" wide cot mattress, and in with - a twin width bed 38" wide near the back doors. I just bought two 3" Latex mattress toppers ... I'll have to cut them down a bit as I think my van is a mere 66" wide and I'm going to have to sleep diagonally as I'm just a tiny bit taller than that. Anyhow, latex seems like the natural foam thing to do and I'm going to give it a try. If 6" height isn't enough, I'll supplement later with more.

How do the 2 toppers feel?
Did you buy soft as the link suggests? 
Do you know if that is natural Talalay or Dunlop process Latex?

I went to a foam place yesterday and got an estimate for my build; I want a potentially Full size mattress (75"x54") but cut down into 2 pieces, 1 @ 75"x38" (Twin) and the remnant which will be about 75"x16" as a sofa back, and if I need to share, used with the bed frame extended to a Full size mattress. 

The estimate I got was $1130 for a 6" thick latex foam, and $340. for upholstered covers to make it more couch like during the day. I'll be using a sleeping bag on top, zipped with another bag to make a double if I need room for a guest.

The  $1130.[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] for the Latex Foam is not too far out of line with what I've seen elsewhere, but what you're doing is much more affordable. I wonder if I would get the same result? I know there are a variety of types and grades of Latex including some mixed with synthetics.

Talalay Latex is poured into a mold, filled up part way, and then aerated to increase loft. Dunlop is filled to the top of the mold and ends up being softer at the top of the mold and more compact and firm at the bottom. Latex is said to be bouncier, that is its response to pressure is more general than memory foam and rebounds to original shape quicker. (If the van is a rockin' there may be two people and a latex mattress inside.) It also breathes much better. I need to do some research on the type of Latex my quote was for and am curious about putting two toppers together, if that would provide the same result?[/font]

Go here, you will not regret it. Far lower price than you have been quoted. I have had mine almost a year now, still like new and I spend more than sleepin* hours on it. You pick density etc and turnaround time is short. Very helpful guy, just call and discuss what you need.

https://www.militarysupplyhouse.com/sleepus3.htm

Have you considered a recliner. Very comfortable for sleeping takes up less space in the bed during the day. I am enjoying mine.

Another vote for memory foam. Love mine. It is very comfy.

My memory foam mattress I have here in my apartment is sooooo comfy but moving it was something I didn't take into consideration.  If you got one that was the right size it may not be as clumsy to move as mine and HEAVY!  It came rolled up tight with all the air sucked out of it,  a bit hard to carry that way, but it expanded excellently when I unwrapped it and let'r rip.  Now even lifting one end is out of the question on my own.  It's a full-size btw.

That was a great purchase if I never planned on moving it, especially into a van.  I would want a lighter weight if they are out there, just to keep the weight down in my Van (I hope to get).

here's the brand of bed I bought for the apartment, I'll probably have to hire 4 guys that are built like "The Rock" ;) to move it!

Memory foam mattress

G0ldengirl68 said:
...I'll probably have to hire 4 guys that are built like "The Rock" ;) to move it!
Send 'em my way, please, when they're done!  I purchased a Froli bed system kit.  ETA tomorrow.  Big splurge, so I hope it's worth it.  I have help, but absolutely dread dragging the full size mattress out and putting it back in.

Van fan let us know on the Froli. I heard good things so far

VanFan said:
Send 'em my way, please, when they're done!  I purchased a Froli bed system kit.  ETA tomorrow.  Big splurge, so I hope it's worth it.  I have help, but absolutely dread dragging the full size mattress out and putting it back in.
I do feel your pain ;)  I'll have to look that up to see what it is, sounds like it will be worth it though VF!!

Cammalu said:
Van fan let us know on the Froli. I heard good things so far
The jury is still deliberating on this, but I do have some thoughts to share.  I'll post under the thread I started a while back inquiring about others' experience here.

I purchased a twin bed sized memory foam mattress for my semi truck 2+years ago..  LOVE IT. I tried other combinations and using the supplied mattress and none were satisfactory. It's 75 in long by 36 in wide. It's going in my Tacoma utility shell when I get off the truck which is very soon.
I got it on amazon, here's a link
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LAFM2O?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I recommend a thin mattress cover to protect it from spills.

^^^Mine is only 30" wide but I just zip it up in a cheap Walmart sleeping bag and close up the end to make it a pillow top as well as protect it.

wagoneer said:
personally use a 3" natural latex xx firm twin topper with bamboo cover 70 years old...

I use too... bamboo is the best cover for twin topper... I love bamboo things... :)

bullfrog said:
^^^Mine is only 30" wide but I just zip it up in a cheap Walmart sleeping bag and close up the end to make it a pillow top as well as protect it.

The 4" trifold 30x75 mattress I got was too hard for me so to make it comfortable I ended up putting two of those $10 foam pads from Walmart and two sleeping bags  I already had on top for a pillow-top too.