Comfortable Mattress for 66yr old?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Do you  have any suggestions/recommendations for full size mattress.
I'm building my van out and need a comfortable mattress for these old bones.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comfort is a matter of opinion.

Do you currently sleep on something sufficiently comfortable? If so, get one like it for your van (if the current one is too large).

You might want to go to a mattress store and test out different ones.

I went to a mattress store and tried out the dual density foam mattresses. I needed to narrow a full size mattress by a couple of inches to fit my space so an innerspring mattress would not work. After trimming width I glued a two inch memory foam topper to the foam and zipped it back in the original mattress bag.

I also suggest going to a mattress store to find what works for you.

casetorres said:
Thanks for your suggestions. I will try a mattress store.
I'll have to narrow the width a bit as well.
Appreciate your feedback.
You can easily cut down a foam matress with an electric carving knife

The best purchase I ever made in my half century plus is a Dunlap latex mattress. I will never buy anything else. No heat issues like memory foam; no pressure point problems; doesn't lose it's elasticity; is hypoallergenic. Originally purchased over ten years ago as a King (6" thickness), it is currently cut down (using box cutter) to a queen. I fully expect it to last until I retire in a few years, at which time it will be cut down to fit on my truck's in-cab sleeper (using memory foam now, which is too hot for me in Summer, but I make do). Latex mattresses ain't cheap, but given the longevity and total comfort I'm experiencing, well worth every penny and the fight over it in the divorce. You can get up to 3" thickness latex "mattress topper" on Amazon, which may be enough and would be more maneuverable than a 6" thick one (weight/bulk is the only con IMO).

We love our Tuft and Needle. I am 55 and my husband is 62.

You order online, but you can return for free during the 100 day trial. Pricey, but worth it to us! And you can cut it down because it is foam.

Airstream is using Tuft and Needle mattresses in their new RV, The Nest.

Start-up mattress companies such as Purple and Oyster have 100 day try outs. You receive it in a box, unroll it and let it expand.

During my build I used a full sized air mattress. Thinking it would only be temporary, I’m still using it. For cold nights, I’ve placed a quilted moving blanket on top of it then a heated mattress pad that cycles thoughout the night.

I have a van so space is at a premium. I went to IKEA and bought a youth mattress to lay on plywood board frame. I added a 2" gel foam topper on top of mattress. It  is very comfy. I am 67 yo

I've had numerous memory foam mattresses in different dwellings, been happy with all but one.

Recently bought the Pacbed Lite from bedinabox.com.  I had the same mattress in my first van and loved it so thought it would be the right one.  Even called their customer service dept before purchasing and asked if it was the same mattress I had a few years ago (the joys of computers -- they have those records at their fingertips).  It was.  But this time, I didn't like it at all!  Too hot, too soft, yuck.  But the online mattress stores have a generous return policy and they gave me full credit back.  I'll get something else.  Don't know why it worked so well back then and now I can't stand it.  Things change as one ages, I suppose.

I dont have much knowledge about mattresses, but I bought last week a hybrid signature mattress for my father from Nest Bedding Coupon code, Doc recommends him to use this mattress for backbone relief. I hope it will also work for you.

another tip- use some of those puzzle-mat foam floor mat thingies under your mattress..
insulates, protects, and keeps you from 'bottoming out' if that is a problem.  :)

I can do just fine with those and a 3" gel mem-foam topper (light, thin (space), cheap...)

Winter campers use closed cell foam under inflatable pads

Added a 2" latex topper from Sleep on Latex to our franken-foam mattress, and I really like it.  Two additional benefits of latex:  does not retain odors, and is less of a fire hazard than other materials.   If I could afford it and move it, I might consider a latex mattress in the future.  The only time I slept on one was at a hot springs lodge, and it was heavenly.  (But then, after a good soak...)

My favorite is a straw mattress, just a canvas bag of straw. It's very firm and can be formed into whatever shape is most comfortable. It insulates and breaths well too. Empty the canvas bag and toss it in the washer every year and refill with new straw.