Cockroaches!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the Diatomaceous earth and it worked to keep the roached from specific areas but they always found new ones. I had to pretty much put it on every flat surface in the back to stop seeing them there. I was still seeing them in the cab, though, if I spent any time in there at night.

Eventually I had to use my printer which was stored in front of the passenger seat and discovered the nest was inside. I threw the thing out and haven't seen any roaches since.

I'll be away from my van for the next couple of weeks so I'm going to dump my remaining powder all over the dash and front of the van, hopefully that will take out any stragglers.

These were the little roaches, less than a half inch long.

I have used and continue to use Borax, you know the 20 Mule Team brand. I put it out on paper towels, and in and around anything I can, it works for me.
We bought a used camper a couple of yrs ago, it had roaches, but... when we sold it there were none, I had used the Borax when I saw them, and made sure there was always plenty in the cabinets, under the bed, sofa, boothes and they finally either left, or died.
I am OK if they left, but I do think they did die, as everytime we went to camp, there were a few on the floor, but they soon were less and less as our trips continued. 
So, try the Borax, see if it gets rid of them.  My pets never were attracted to the Borax so it was never a problem with them either.
Good Luck!!
Sharon

thanks for reminding me BonBon. I have heard that about Borax before. highdesertranger

Borax is the active ingredient in the most common roach killer products.

The extra non active ingredient is a talcum like powder that makes spreading it easier.

Just use some sort of shaker container with fairly large holes punched in the top.

exitinn said:
Use a bug bomb . Get them at hardware store .

The last time I saw a bug bomb actually work was about 1988, the ones they sell now often don't kill a single friggen roach

roaches are kinda cool,talk about survivors

bug bombs are nasty toxic things that only really work on the surface
clean the crap out of your rig,shop vac,keep clean,you can try the other stuff but cutting off food source is a key

Ugh..I'm so grossed out..
Ask Van Tramp what he uses..he has that beat up van that gets them.
Good luck, hot showers or the ocean or pool of you 'feel' them on you.

gcal said:
If you really, really can't get rid of them, winterize your unit, head up north this winter, get a motel room or stay with friends, and leave your unit sit for a few days at well below freezing temps, below zero is great. Park in the shade if you can so temps don't rise in the sun. That kills them all - adults, nymphs, and eggs.

If I ever run into you in person, gcal, I want to buy you dinner or something. Nothing I tried got rid of them all, a few always survived and repopulated. Two days in a hotel in Black Hawk Colorado with highs well under freezing and they are GONE! It's been a month and I have not seen a single roach. It was a little out of my way but not too bad, and I managed to pay for the trip at the poker table.

These were the little roaches, less than an inch long, picked up in Southern Florida.

I may be the only person who, for a time, intentionally had cockroaches in the van: I have always kept a colony of Central American Death Head Cockroaches as pets, and when I first started van-dwelling I took them along with me. Alas, they weren't able to tolerate the temperature swings very well, so I ended up giving them to a pet shop as mascots. I do miss the little dudes, though.