CO2 Detector Where?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4GNomad

Reaction score
Hello,

I picked up a CO2 detector yesterday and wonder where I should put it in the van. Up high, down low, in the middle. I know Smoke Detectors are on ceilings because smoke rises, but isn't CO2 heavier or am I thinking the wrong gases, so wouldn't I want it lower in the interior? Just curious...

Thanks!

CO, not CO2. Different gasses. And I have read conflicting things from different sources. Some say high, some say low, some say at a mid level. CO is actually about the same weight as O2, so will tend to remain at the level it begins at, unless moved by air currents. I would place one low near my bed, and another high. Well away from fans, heat sources, etc.

Some people have the theory that because CO is produced by incomplete combustion, it will be warm when first produced and will rise like warm air does.

An alternative theory is that a CO detector is most important to wake you if you are sound asleep when the CO is produced.  They like it near their bed at the head end and at the same level as their head to monitor the air they are actually breathing while they are asleep.

I personally hold with the second theory.  But with a CO detector in place near my bed, I might still spring for a combined smoke and CO detector up high if it wasn't a LOT more expensive than a simple smoke detector alone.  Belt AND suspendors approach . . .

Regards
John

ps - and propane is heavier than air, so a propane detector is always down low . . .

The instructions with a CO detector state mount mid high. Not at ceiling. In my van one is mounted three feet off the floor, near the head of my bed.

if it's a co2 detector put it in Al Gore's mouth. sorry couldn't resist. highdesertranger

My instruction manual basically stated to avoid areas that were located at 90 degree angles, like where a wall and the ceiling meet. Those are dead air spaces where little circulation occurs. Midway up on a wall or center on the ceiling were ok.