Cleaning Solar Panels "wipe down"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne49

Reaction score

Hi,

I have only seen references to "wiping down" the solar panels. Too vague for expensive panels.

Wipe with what exactly? Soft cotton? Glass cleaner? Wipe only when in the shade and cool?

Thanks in advance for useful advice.

-Wayne

wayne49 said:

Hi,

I have only seen references to "wiping down" the solar panels. Too vague for expensive panels.

Wipe with what exactly? Soft cotton? Glass cleaner? Wipe only when in the shade and cool?

Thanks in advance for useful advice.

-Wayne

I use a gas station style window cleaner, but on an extendable pole.

While I can get more grime off using a paper towell and some rubbing alcohol, it makes no difference in output and the Alcohol might damage the seals around the edge of the panel

Many people assume solar panels are very fragile and will break if they are looked at wrong, fortunately, that's not true. It's safety glass like in your car and it's very tough, nothing special needs to be done to wash it.

The exceptions are in the super cheap kits like Harbor Freight 45 watt kits. That's window glass and will break under any small blow. But even with that cheap a panel the panel should keep working with broken glass. I've known people that broke the glass and it kept working for years.
Bob

I use a damp rag and then a quick dry polishing. No chemicals or soaps.

I do the squeegee thing too. boy I had to look up how to spell squeegee, I had no idea. highdesertranger

Thanks Everybody. Good information.

Yes, I assumed fragility. Thinking that the magic stuff would rub off of the panel.

Another chore for tomorrow or the day after.

-Wayne

wayne49 said:
Yes, I assumed fragility. Thinking that the magic stuff would rub off of the panel.

Hey, I rub mine hoping the magic stuff will rub off on me.  :D  So far--no magic   :( 

Bob

wayne49 said:

Hey, I rub mine hoping the magic stuff will rub off on me.  :D  So far--no magic   :( 

Bob

wayne49 said:

Bob

Same here I have two Kyocera panels on the roof rack and I just use a squeegee and water mostly. If I'm washing the van then I use the car wash soap in my bucket.
they are incredibly tough.
I actually polished mine when I got them. Put a coat of carnuba wax on as well, probably a waste but hey it sure made them look good :). Helped with keeping bird droppings from sticking.