Clarification on inverter please!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AsphaltGypsy

Reaction score
I just purchased a Bestek 300 watt inverter for my car from big A. I think I have read everything on this site pertaining to inverters, although I confess I could have missed something. I just need clarification that what I write is true.

I can plug this converter into my cigarette lighter (while the car is running), and be able to charge my laptop with it correct? I have a 2013 KIA Soul. I am concerned that I will run my car battery down or out and be stuck needing a jump or worse, blow some kind of fuse or something and then not have anything work! I know that ideally I should have a separate battery for this kind of stuff, but just not feasible at this time. I believe that my laptop would be the only item I would be charging. If I did add something it would be the cell phone.

Thoughts please? or help letting me know it's not going to blow up my little car... :s
Thanks ahead of time
Kim

Blowing up the car is not likely.  If something bad happens it is likely that the fuse for the lighter socket will blow.  Some cars have a fuse like device built in to the cigarette lighter socket.  If that blows the socket has to be changed to fix it.  

If you charge a lap top with the engine running your battery will be maintained by the engine alternator.

Ideally, charge your laptop while you're driving and use your laptop on its own battery when the car is off.

You can use it for a while with the car off (assuming the outlets are powered, different cars may or not power the socket without the key in the on position) but eventually it would drain down your battery. When idling your alternator isn't at its best output and running a car engine to charge a battery is essentially a very high cost generator. You can do it though. Just don't think of it as your primary/long term plan.

Almost everything necessary on line can be done with a cell phone.  That uses much less power than a lap top.  A 12 volt powered cell phone charger lets the inverter stay off.

You should be able to find a direct 12v charger for your laptop, most require 18vish as I require, so I don't know whether that saves you on the power draw but I think it should. Simpler in general is better. Also, ditto on the above - best as a short term solution unless you are driving regularly.

AsphaltGypsy said:
........and be able to charge my laptop with it correct?

That’s pretty much what I have been doing for years.    I have a 300 Watt Modified Square Wave inverter and a Toshiba Satellite.

AsphaltGypsy said:
I just purchased a Bestek 300 watt inverter for my car from big A. I think I have read everything on this site pertaining to inverters, although I confess I could have missed something.  I just need clarification that what I write is true.

I can plug this converter into my cigarette lighter (while the car is running), and be able to charge my laptop with it correct?  I have a 2013 KIA Soul. I am concerned that I will run my car battery down or out and be stuck needing a jump or worse, blow some kind of fuse or something and then not have anything work!  I know that ideally I should have a separate battery for this kind of stuff, but just not feasible at this time. I believe that my laptop would be the only item I would be charging.  If I did add something it would be the cell phone.

Unlike inverters that are wired directly to a car battery, a cigarette lighter inverter draws power from the cigarette lighter circuit. You can’t put a load on this type of inverter that draws more current than the cigarette lighter fuse can handle (typically about 10 or 15A) or you’ll blow the fuse. You should also know that a particular cigarette lighter circuit may have more load (i.e., providing power to dash lights) than just the lighter socket, so if the cigarette lighter circuit you are plugging into has additional loads that further diminishes the amount of current you can draw from an inverter plugged into that cigarette lighter socket. 

A general rule of thumb is that a cigarette lighter inverter shouldn’t draw more than 100W-150W, so buying a cigarette lighter inverter that is rated more than 150W (such as the 300W you have) is a bit dangerous if you do not know the limitations or if you accidentally overload the draw beyond 150W. Check out your laptop adapter; if it says 150W or below, you will be fine -- provided that overall inverter load is not exceeding 150W at one time.

For lower energy consumption get a 12V adapter for your devices, inverters are unnecessary and inefficient for that use case.

Personally I avoid ciggy port connections for anything I use on a regular basis.

They just aren't a safe design, even below 6A the intermittent arcing can start a fire, and you shouldn't rely on fuses.

Choose an appropriate circuit and either hard-wire the inverter, or install an Anderson PowerPole.

Latest posts