Choosing another rig--help me sort this out?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
With my boyfriend's Sienna totaled he's offering to buy mine, giving me the opportunity to transition to a larger rig with a bit more room to breathe.

I'm pretty overwhelmed by the possibilities. So far all three vehicles I've transitioned to living in have been a last-minute thing, some crisis accelerating the timeline to get one soon and make it work immediately. That isn't happening here--yet. So it's time to re-evaluate and think everything through before proceeding.

1) I've decided I want more room than a minivan. I've proven to myself I can survive in a minivan, it can work, but I would most definitely be more comfortable in something larger. More comfort = less stress = reduced anxiety. Now, this transition is scary in and of itself because in most areas of Seattle anything larger than a minivan will be targeted for break-ins. I know this from previously being in the Chevy G20. Moving back to that size or larger will necessitate less time in the city and less preferred parking spots when I am there. The compromise in stealth is difficult for me to accept, but this is coming from someone who medically has to wear a gas mask when out and about due to severe MCS. So sure, stealth is compromised, but when you live the unusual people around adjust. It's not always easy but it does work. I have to keep reminding myself that.

2) I've come to realize I cannot do the build myself. Gosh, this one was a hard pill to swallow. You all have seen how creative I've been with the minivan--creative solutions are my strength; build-outs not so much. Managing my own health requires more hours than a full-time job, and physical and mental disabilities play a huge role in limiting how I use my windows of off-time. In an ideal world I'd have all the resources I need to learn how to do a build-out at my own pace, but at this stage in my life I have to accept that it isn't going to happen anytime soon, and I only hurt myself when I place my expectations too high.

3) Even though I cannot do a build-out myself, I'm realizing that I personally have a "need" for several things many would consider luxuries, specifically a shower, laundry solution, and kitchen. Due to my severe MCS, I'm unable to use most showers, either public or private--the shower water must be filtered and the air completely clean of most product residues for me to safely remove my mask. A wrong guess has life-threatening consequences. My "solution" has been to simply try not to care that I haven't showered in months and wipe myself down with baby wipes when I get the chance. Laundry is a similar story--washing my clothes in a machine that has typical product residue contaminates my clothing in ways that makes me very ill, and sometimes they are not salvageable from that. I understand it may be difficult to believe, but you don't have to--you need only believe that I feel I need a laundry solution I'm fully in control of. Currently laundry only happens every few months because the one place I can do it is rife with PTSD triggers for me. The kitchen is a similar story--I have extensive widespread food allergies that are extremely difficult for restaurants to accommodate. Even when they do, there is often the risk of contamination and it really sucks for that to keep happening. I'm realizing that most who are happy living in their smaller rigs don't need to do a lot of cooking/food prep, and for me that's needed in order to have a healthful diet that includes variety.

4) Though I'm planning to go larger, MPG and mechanical soundness are two major considerations, since repairs and gas are the two main expenses I worry about and I'm low income at $733/month. I am working on a long-term job solution but at the moment am still pretty profoundly disabled.

So far I'm thinking my options are...

1. Used RV
  2. Buying a DIY van conversion from someone else
  3. Buying a shell and trying to find someone to convert it for me
I can't find the link at the moment, but I was reading WA state requirements to permits to install a gas range or any plumbing in a vehicle and it seemed to involve a length process of submitting plans, having them be approved, paying fees, and a whole bunch of other bureaucratic nonsense. But insurance is also an essential matter to factor in, which is another area I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed about. I'm just now starting to call/email around to try to find an insurance agent who could help me sort out what are my best options to get coverage for and what that might look like. I've never worked with an independent insurance agent before but I'm realizing that's probably the only way I'm going to get clear answers.

I'm starting to realize buying an older RV might be my best bet....I'm reluctant to go that route because I very much prefer DIY setups in terms of quality and feel, and also want to lean towards off-grid as much as possible. In addition it's going to be more difficult to decontaminate a used RV from all the products of previous owners, in fact many would be ruled out based on that alone. But I'm also trying to be realistic about what's doable and going to be the best fit for the essentials that make my life work.

Thoughts? Ideas? Input? I'm all ears.

Perhaps I missed it, but knowing what your budget is will help with suggestions...

BradKW said:
Perhaps I missed it, but knowing what your budget is will help with suggestions...

$7000, possibly a bit more if I sell my electrical setup along with the rig.

An empty cargo van would seem to suit you for a number of reasons:

1) Easily cleaned to remove existing allergens... used RV perhaps not so much.
2) Without exterior mods, a cargo van is stealthy.
3) Considering you managed in a mini-van, a cargo van will have enough room to buy cats and swing them by the tail.
4) Mods can be done over time...seems like a cot, a cassette or composting toilet, a water container w/hand pump, and a propane stove would be all you need to get started in comfort.
5) You're overthinking the insurance...buy a van and insure it as a van. Never involve a government agency if you can avoid it.

Cargo dividers provide both stealth and security:

MSD-3-thumb_4.jpg

I assume your security concerns are related to when you have to leave the van parked? No windows plus good locks do the trick:

VanDoors.jpg
770wlock_350.jpg
slick-PM_side_door.jpg

BradKW said:
An empty cargo van would seem to suit you for a number of reasons:

4) Mods can be done over time...seems like a cot, a cassette or composting toilet, a water container w/hand pump, and a propane stove would be all you need to get started in comfort.

I'm...not sure you read my post?

BradKW said:
obviously... I did?

Okay this is unhelpful. I am not able to do modifications, not even "over time". I also need far more than what you've listed to "get started in comfort", and the items would need to be secured down somehow so they don't rattle around loosely in the back, which is beyond my current skillset.

I think Brad missed the laundry and build inability to do any labor parts.  

Bitty, I am sure that some of our members would volunteer time to help you build.  If I am able to get back on the road, I would love to help out.

Bitty, Try to make a list of what you need in 1, 2, 3, format. 

That might help us challenged readers.  Lately I miss things in front of me.  :blush:

GotSmart said:
Bitty, I am sure that some of our members would volunteer time to help you build.  If I am able to get back on the road, I would love to help out.

That would be pretty amazing! Thank for the offer and best wishes to a speedy recovery.

Bitty said:
That would be pretty amazing! Thank for the offer and best wishes to a speedy recovery.

If you need the mods but can't do a build out then a RV is the best choice but I don't how you would handle the chemical issues in an RV. I have MCS; at one point it was as bad as yours - it's much better now, thank god, but I couldn't imagine even now handling an RV. 

With regard to laundries I used to go into one, wash my stuff and head out to camp and let it all air for a day or so.  That worked pretty well for me

The stripped down GMC van with metal shelving I have looks like it will work for me but I don't need the  mods.. Il'm fine with a spartan build. 

You;re kind of between a rock and a hard place = you want/need these mods but don't have the money to afford them.  Something is got to give unless you can handle an old RV.

cortttt said:
If you need the mods but can't do a build out then a RV is the best choice but I don't how you would handle the chemical issues in an RV. I have MCS; at one point it was as bad as yours - it's much better now, thank god, but I couldn't imagine even now handling an RV. 

You;re kind of between a rock and a hard place = you want/need these mods but don't have the money to afford them.  Something is got to give unless you can handle an old RV.

Yep. I've got an ozone generator to treat an old RV with, I don't know if I could handle one or not but it'd definitely depend on what sort of exposures have occurred inside them, e.g. cigarette smoke is out of the question, similar if a typical woman who uses lots of product stayed in it. That stuff gets in the walls and never comes out.

Gary68 said:

The 2005 Chevy looks alright, though if purchasing a shell I'd need to have a plan for getting it fitted out before making the purchase.

I've been advised to stay away from V8 engines due to MPG.

I'm looking at this one: http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/rvs/5550348129.html

My first thought with the Mini Wini is it sat for a long time. (Owner sale)  Spend $50 for a mechanic to go over it.  :-/  Tires, and all rubber lines, brakes complete rebuild, I am guessing $2K in repairs. The 4 cylinders were underpowered.  

Worth looking at.  It just might be what floats your boat.  :cool:

Hello....I have followed your posts re: health issues, living in a mini van, bed building, car wrecks etc... I have admired the way you are able to roll  with the punches no matter what life throws at you...you are like the energizer bunny...or the old timex watch ads...you just keep on ticking.

A few months ago while looking at tiny houses' on you tube there was one about a couple who both have MCS [ if I remember it correctly] ....one worse than the other.  It was on a link to Re-Shelter?  Just now I googled
 " tiny house by re-shelter for people with MCS" & there were several sites dealing with helping and or suggestions for housing that might be of some use to you.

I wonder if you spoke to Habitat For Humanity if they could help you in any way?

I wish you well and hope you are able to find a new "home" that will be right for you.     Texas Jbird

In a heavier vehicle, the V8 engine can (not always) get better MPG than a V6 or L6 due to the bigger motor not working as hard to drag the beast around.  Different vehicles will act differently, of course.  And gearing has much to do with it too.

One problem many of us have is not being familiar with your particular health issues.  What seems simple and straight forward to us, simpy won't work for you.  Sadly many of our well meaning suggestions just won't work.  But we are trying.  I pray that your condition will improve.

The Toyota is off the market for a week or two since the seller can't find the title, they're having it rebuilt.

The trickiest thing about starting with an RV is the MCS....I'd have to take my best guess at what can be successfully decontaminated, and purchase that. My best guess can be wrong, and if so I would have a rig that I can never sleep, eat, or shower in. :-/

Is there anyone who does van conversions within my budget?